Friday Update: What we're up to! July 19, 2013

• Hey everyone! Welcome to our Friday Update, where we tell you what we’ve been up to and maybe, just maybe what’s to come! Friday Updates include any information that have to do with Torn Banner Studios and Chivalry: Medieval Warfare.

1. Beta Patch: We were trying to get CU1 Patch 3 Beta 2 out to you guys today, but there were some issues with it that weren’t able to get resolved by the end of the day, so that’s why this Friday Update is out so late. Brady has been working feverishly on this, so expect to see this out early next week. Here are some of the changes so you know what’s to come:
    • Stamina drain from successfully parrying attacks slightly reduced.

• Vanguard primary weapon knockback values toned down.

• Two-hander flinch duration down from 1.1 to 1.0.

• Special daze duration down from 2 to 1.8.

• Crossbow projectile speeds are lower, and the difference between light and heavy crossbow is less drastic.

• Corrected Bardiche sprint attack being .15 faster than other sprint attacks.

• Flail overhead windup from .55 to .5.

• Heavy Flail overhead windup from .6 to .55.

• Spear slash windup from .425 to .475.

• Spear stab windup from .575 to .6.

• Brandistock slash windup from .45 to .5.

• Brandistock stab windup from .55 to .6.

1. Micro Transactions: If you’ve been paying attention to the beta app and been playing around with customization, you will notice that you can purchase helmets. As everything on the beta is for testing purposes only, you will NOT be charged if you attempt to go through with the transaction. You will get a message from Steam thanking you for your purchase and that funds have been deducted, however funds have not really been deducted. If you encounter any issues, please send an email to kimiko@tornbanner.com with the time of your transaction and Steam ID and we will look into the problem. So please test out the micro transactions at your convenience and let us know in the Beta Feedback forum how it’s working out and any issues you come across. (Please wait until CU1 P3 B2 is released next week to begin testing this out)

2. Steam Summer Sale: The Steam Summer Sale will be continuing until July 22 and Chivalry has been on sale the entire time at 50% off, with a Daily Deal and Flash Sales at 75% off. So if you’ve missed out in the past, you definitely want to take advantage of the discount during this sale.

3. Ask TBS!: Just a reminder that we WILL answer questions in the Ask TBS! section of our forums. It’s just a matter of getting the answers to you when we have them. So if it seems like we’re never answering, we will! As you can see, a lot of questions have been answered recently, so take a look if you have asked a question in the past to see if we tackled yours.

• Will you have to have funds in your Steam wallet to fake purchase the helmets in the beta? Will there be a helmet pack to purchase them all at once?

• Thanks for the update!

It appears that some of the upcoming changes will help to restore the game’s faster paced action from before the recent patch, and I’m especially happy to hear that parrying pole arms will no longer literally push you out of melee combat ;)

• Since y’all guys are going to add different helmet thru Micro Transaction, why don’t y’all add a different armor too?

• @BroodReaver:

Since y’all guys are going to add different helmet thru Micro Transaction, why don’t y’all add a different armor too?

I think hats are good enough. ;)

• projectile stickies still doesn’t really work.
    You cant see other archer projectile stickies.

You only able to see your own projectile stickies.

Yet Javelin, throwing axes, and daggers you’ll see em stick.

No update on this…?

• I’m glad to see that tbs recognizes that the current stun time is too long, and that to remedy this problem they are reducing it from 2.0sec to 1.8sec. However this is not nearly enough of a reduction. My opinion is that the stun time should be in the range of 1.5-1.7sec. This would still allow the stun to be very beneficial for the aggressor causing the opponent to become stunned; while at the same time not completely determining the victims fate. The victim should have a better opportunity to recover than they do in the games current state. If you’re unable to get another hit on a stunned opponent in 1.5 sec, then that’s your problem. The current stun time is a guaranteed hit, and in a close fight, a guaranteed kill.

• @SOC:

Will you have to have funds in your Steam wallet to fake purchase the helmets in the beta? Will there be a helmet pack to purchase them all at once?

Nope, actual steam wallet funds shouldn’t be required to get the helmets on beta. The “purchase” won’t show up in your transaction history either, though Steam will still email you saying it was processed.

• Stamina drain from successfully parrying attacks slightly reduced.

I like this one :D More blocking is longer epic fighting 8-)

• @parkrangerstan:

I’m glad to see that tbs recognizes that the current stun time is too long, and that to remedy this problem they are reducing it from 2.0sec to 1.8sec. However this is not nearly enough of a reduction. My opinion is that the stun time should be in the range of 1.5-1.7sec. This would still allow the stun to be very beneficial for the aggressor causing the opponent to become stunned; while at the same time not completely determining the victims fate. The victim should have a better opportunity to recover than they do in the games current state. If you’re unable to get another hit on a stunned opponent in 1.5 sec, then that’s your problem. The current stun time is a guaranteed hit, and in a close fight, a guaranteed kill.

Completely agree, the way the stamina system is in the game… running out when facing multiple opponents is almost guaranteed if they are fairly good. Standing there stunned for 2 seconds while 2 people slam in to your face, is just annoying.

I mean, are you designing the game with the intention that 2v1 = a lose most of the time? If so, then keep on with it. It really bothers me with everything that has changed this last patch, it has started to kill the fun of the game for me and that is sad.

I loved this game, I even plan to do a give away of 2 free copies of the game at the end of the Summer Sale. Now I’m wondering if I should just let them sit there as I don’t want someone else to jump in with excitement like I did and then months down the line a drastic change to the game ruins everything they enjoyed about it.

Meh. My time here is definitely limited at this rate, not like you would give a shit anyway. It seems it’s a numbers game for you now. Appease the masses and the ones that dislike the changes and leave, who cares right?

• so… which patch fixes bugs? Been waiting for bug fixes… well… since release?

• @clayton-bigsby:

so… which patch fixes bugs? Been waiting for bug fixes… well… since release?

SILLY CLAYTON. Do you not know who we are dealing with here?

• Good patch changes, I’m hoping that small 2h flinch duration reduction makes enough difference and you won’t get so easily flinch-locked.

But yeah I’d also like to see bug fixes. Seeing as Claymore isn’t being slowed down I’d especially like to see desyncs fixed and general hit detection improved.

• Mason kite shield not showing on player model backs and catapult “fast clicks” removed please.

• @clayton-bigsby:

so… which patch fixes bugs? Been waiting for bug fixes… well… since release?

“Here are some of the changes…” -Kimi

Let them release the full patch notes before burning down the village.

• But I already lit my torch. :P

• ^^ i guess i could throw mine at this knight over here

• you have to be really, REALLY unlucky to get chivalry for anything above 6 dollars

do you guys have to approve each sale or does steam just put sales on your game at random?

• I hope that Microtransactions are kept for cosmetics ONLY, even in the future.

As much as buying a couple of new weapons would generate sales, it would be a terrible idea and get into the “pay to win” scenario, unless they’re PERFECTLY balanced.

For cosmetics though, as long as they’re not too distinct from the style of the original game, it’s all good. (This is PURE cosmetics btw, no stat differences or anything, just looks)

• @BobT36:

I hope that Microtransactions are kept for cosmetics ONLY, even in the future.

As much as buying a couple of new weapons would generate sales, it would be a terrible idea and get into the “pay to win” scenario, unless they’re PERFECTLY balanced.

For cosmetics though, as long as they’re not too distinct from the style of the original game, it’s all good. (This is PURE cosmetics btw, no stat differences or anything, just looks)

I agree, I never liked the idea of DLC weapons in games (like BF3)