[MECH] How to riposte

• Can someone clarify all the details of this mechanic for me; time frame windows etc.
    Thanks in advance.

When i say ‘riposte’ i’m talking about the mechanic where someone parries your attack and at the moment they parry you hit attack again and get a fast attack.

• Good question. I’ve searched high and low and not been able to find the specific timings. The basics are simply that you should attack as soon as possible after a successful block. The quicker you seem to do it within the ‘window’ as you put it, the quicker the riposte will to be. Simple as that right?

• While that seems simple it´s a bit tricky to learn, even when I was above rank 30 I still had trouble performing ripostes whenever I wanted.
    I believe this skill only comes with time and practice, it depends a lot on your in-game feel and off course latency, I find it´s hard to counter-attack when the server or me is lagging.

But you are right the general rule of thumb is:

Parry and as soon as the enemy´s weapon hits yours, do an attack!

• My current bindings aren’t very comfortable to be able to do every attack and to make things worse some button presses aren’t registering (this is happening with any mouse press at any time) and i have two brand new g400 mice that i have been testing with.

Does it actually matter if you haven’t completely let go of the parry key before you hit the attack?

• I believe riposte works just like comboing. Instead of release you just combo out on a parry but this only works if an attack connects with it. You are also unable to riposte out of panic parry.

• @Evil:

I believe riposte works just like comboing. Instead of release you just combo out on a parry but this only works if an attack connects with it. You are also unable to riposte out of panic parry.

Yeah it works just like a combo. As long as their weapon hits your parry you can riposte. Counter attack.

Doesn’t work with shields.

Pretty much as they hit your parry you attack. Very easy to do with a scroll wheel.

• @funthomass:

While that seems simple it´s a bit tricky to learn, even when I was above rank 30 I still had trouble performing ripostes whenever I wanted.

Heh, you know my problem now? I’ve gotten riposte down to an easy science that sometimes I can’t prevent myself from doing it when I parry unless I mentally think about it :).

• Since this is about Riposte, I’ll just pipe in to give you a tactical hint.

It is common in fights to enter a riposte rhythm. You attack, they riposte, you riposte, they riposte. Well this is a great opportunity to break the rhythm and get a free hit. It goes like this:

You attack, they riposte, you pause 100msish, they parry, you attack and get a hit.

The longer the riposte dance goes, the more likely your pause then attack will work. Something to keep in mind when playing.

• @Toll:

Since this is about Riposte, I’ll just pipe in to give you a tactical hint.

It is common in fights to enter a riposte rhythm. You attack, they riposte, you riposte, they riposte. Well this is a great opportunity to break the rhythm and get a free hit. It goes like this:

You attack, they riposte, you pause 100msish, they parry, you attack and get a hit.

The longer the riposte dance goes, the more likely your pause then attack will work. Something to keep in mind when playing.

This

It throws a spanner in the works and interrupts the flow of the trading attacks. Doesn’t require a feint too. Won’t always work because the person might expect it, that’s when feints come in, but this is still a great tip for not having to rely on feints and mind gaming your opponent.

• A good player doesn’t (or shouldn’t) react to a predicted outcome, they should only react to what they see. The pause->attack I mentioned above is counter able by not over-reacting (parrying on the expectation of a riposte for example).

This is, in fact, the essence of a great play. Being able to see a situation for what it is, without your mind getting in the way. Your mind wants to predict, it wants to follow a pattern, you cannot allow this. You can, however, use it to your advantage.

• @Toll:

A good player doesn’t (or shouldn’t) react to a predicted outcome, they should only react to what they see. The pause->attack I mentioned above is counter able by not over-reacting (parrying on the expectation of a riposte for example).

This is, in fact, the essence of a great play. Being able to see a situation for what it is, without your mind getting in the way. Your mind wants to predict, it wants to follow a pattern, you cannot allow this. You can, however, use it to your advantage.

It can get hard to read that riposted SoW or Broadsword stab when its animation barely even plays and he is that close to you. Sure, you can always say that a good player should react accordingly and not rely on predicting when a riposte is coming. But with how fast combat can get when you are both trying to circle strafe and drag your attacks past each others guards, as well as how desync issues + higher than average ping/spikes effect accelerated riposte animations, it sometimes only comes down to being able to predict when a retaliatory riposte is coming. It comes down to who pauses for those few precious moments and who falls for a riposte that was delayed first.

That’s why I love the fast paced melee combat of Chiv compared with other games and how fluid it can be.

• The only weapon you really need to worry about that is the Broadsword. So in that situation don’t enter a riposte contest with a broadsword wielding knight. ;)

• SoW is notorious for its stab riposte though.

Well, it use to be at least. :roll:

• Timing. Go fight bots and practice late-parrying and then hitting attack around the time his weapon hits your parry. They are good for practice because they’ll throw in some feints too.

• Just attack as soon as your block connects. It takes some anticipating.

[youtubehd:356ufp0w]21l1yXYae0g[/youtubehd:356ufp0w]

• @Yazuak:

Just attack as soon as your block connects. It takes some anticipating.

[youtubehd:19xwwwo5]21l1yXYae0g[/youtubehd:19xwwwo5]

I am stuck on the first part of this. Help?

Also, you need to stop using just two moves. It’s severely limiting you. I find that only using the stab is better. That way you don’t run the risk of getting parried.

<3 Alice

• @Yazuak:

Just attack as soon as your block connects. It takes some anticipating.

[youtubehd:3024a108]21l1yXYae0g[/youtubehd:3024a108]

Help! Dick caught in video.

Directions not clear.

• @NoVaLombardia:

Help! Dick caught in video.

Directions not clear.

You did that all wrong.

fixed version:
    @NoVaLombardia:

Directions unclear. Dick stuck in video.

• @XaleUdo:

I am stuck on the first part of this. Help?

Also, you need to stop using just two moves. It’s severely limiting you. I find that only using the stab is better. That way you don’t run the risk of getting parried.

<3 Alice

Dnt wrry xale, I have a sequel/prequel video coming called ‘How to choose the Broadsword’

• How do you block a riposte though? It seems like the block flinch prevents from blocking a riposte, or at least the window is extremely small.