[BETA RELEASE] z0bmod map pack

• Update November 28 2013:
    The Team Objective Siege map has had a major overhaul including:
    -a fix for the disappearing floor bug, and getting stuck when on the ballista
    -improved team balance,
    -the bridge take 1 minute to capture rather than 20 seconds
    -removed the buggy % bar on the bridge and replaced with announcements at 50% and 75%
    -replaced the drawbridge switch with a chain that needs to be broken
    -the ladder now starts lying down, a Mason needs to stand near it to make it stand up
    -boiling oil on the wall near the ladder
    -the tunnel is now blocked by rocks that need to be smashed
    -significant improvements to the city behind the wall

Also the Nomad King map has been improved by replacing the two hills on either end with new bridges making the map fairer. Also the total time to capture has been increased and the hill moves less often.

EDIT November 14 2013: The Team Objective map is released in Alpha to the workshop and is currently on a number of servers.

Announcing the release of the beta version of the z0bmod map pack!

This is the first version of what will hopefully be a series of new maps for Chivalry.

These maps focus on team games with a simple premise: each team starts at each end of a bridge above a gorge. To win the team must take and hold the bridge. With working catapults and ballistas at either end that is easier said than done.

Game modes currently supported are King of the Hill, Team Deathmatch and Last Team Standing.

I’m working towards a Team Objective mode at some stage in the future.
    EDIT: I’ve changed this back to alpha as I now have the TO mode available but I’m reticent to release until we get some clear idea of when the SDK will be released.

hd1rnJqEAWI

Sneak Peak of my new gamemode “Nomad King” here (not yet released).
    kP-AZvn_P08

Download package here: http://www.filedropper.com/z0bmod

Extract the zip into a CookedSDK folder of your ChivalryMedievalWarfarebeta folder.

The map names are: AOCKOTH-Bridge9 (king of the hill), AOCLTS-Bridge9 (Last Team
    Standing), AOCTD-Bridge9 (Team Deathmatch), AOCCTF-Bridge9 (Capture the Flag) and AOCKOTH-NomadKing2 (new Nomad King gamemode).

**EDIT: I’ll be updating this post as new updates and maps are released. Capture the flag mode is finished and will be released soon as well as new, improved versions of the previous maps based on feedback given in this thread. I’m hoping for this to be an evolving process but my main concern right now it to get these maps out there are tested ASAP. If there’s anyone great at Kismet out there and wants to help me with TO and some new game modes I have in mind please PM me!

EDIT: 23/7/2013 New gamemode “nomad king” finished and should be released soon, see video above for details.**

EDIT: 3/8/2013 New maps released (download location is the same) including Capture the Flag and Nomad King.

EDIT: 30/8/2013: Here’s some images of the TO map that will be released soon!

A view from on top of the wall showing the siege tower:

Here’s the tunnel that goes underneath the walls:

This wooden wall needs to be battered down with weapons (like the bunkers in Darkforest).

Please test and let me know what you think!

• so far a nice looking map, a bit empty but nonetheless i think it would be fun to see what happens on that bridge in a 64 man server! Now ive found a few minor things that could use some fixing:

Theres a hole at the start of the bridge whilst running over it it is possible to get ur character stuck, but u can still jump out obv it is annoying if this happens in a game it’ll piss ppl off.
    [image:dwbqc55b]http://i.imgur.com/aMVl9ut.jpg[/image:dwbqc55b]

There seems to be an issue when climbing this ladder from the far right point if u climb up u get stuck because a ledge is blocking the climbing area.
    [image:dwbqc55b]http://i.imgur.com/3qfYAHF.jpg[/image:dwbqc55b]

And here are some floating objects :

[image:dwbqc55b]http://i.imgur.com/XCDq7XS.jpg[/image:dwbqc55b]
    [image:dwbqc55b]http://i.imgur.com/EE2k7n5.jpg[/image:dwbqc55b]

• Thanks heaps! This is exactly the kind of feedback I need.

At the moment the map is a bit empty, I’m going to add more foliage, cover and I’m going to put the spawn points into buildings.

I’m surprised you found the ladder so quickly! It’s really just a test for what will hopefully be the second stage of a Team Objective map. I was going to remove it completely for release but didn’t get around to it.

The TO map will start with Masons having to take and control the bridge for a period of time (like KOTH) and the second objective will be Masons having to climb ladders to take the castle wall and lower a drawbridge. That’s still a fair way off.

Thanks again for the feedback.

• no problem for the feedback, now i found the ladder because i think i saw a post somewhere from u talking about a ladder and i figured he might have it up at that wall there. I wanted to see if it was any good, i like u can sprint on it and still attack but then fall down. Now maybe on the attacker side u could make a tent camp so it will be more filled and a bit reallistic.

• @YodadaJew:

no problem for the feedback, now i found the ladder because i think i saw a post somewhere from u talking about a ladder and i figured he might have it up at that wall there. I wanted to see if it was any good, i like u can sprint on it and still attack but then fall down. Now maybe on the attacker side u could make a tent camp so it will be more filled and a bit reallistic.

Yeah that’s exactly what I’m going to do. Just need to find a big tent that has a proper collision model.

• I like how it looks, but I think the bridge needs to be expanded by several magnitudes. It looks far too small a play area (since KOTH will be the center of the bridge) for anything but 2v2 action

• Where is the cookedSDK folder? I can’t find it.

• @FPSOtsal:

Where is the cookedSDK folder? I can’t find it.

It should be in the UDKGame folder, if not you can just create it.

• @Gauntlet:

I like how it looks, but I think the bridge needs to be expanded by several magnitudes. It looks far too small a play area (since KOTH will be the center of the bridge) for anything but 2v2 action

Well in some ways I agree, I will be making a larger bridge for larger servers.

However I disagree that the bridge is too small for anything but 2v2. I made this map with the intention of forcing players to fight over a tight space, shoulder to shoulder like a real medieval battle. Hopefully this will favour players forming proper medieval formations such as shield walls, wedges, shiltron etc.

Even with bots the map easily handles 12 players and that’s without anyone manning the siege engines.

I think the current bridge size is good for up to 16 player servers.

• @Dr:

@Gauntlet:

I like how it looks, but I think the bridge needs to be expanded by several magnitudes. It looks far too small a play area (since KOTH will be the center of the bridge) for anything but 2v2 action

However I disagree that the bridge is too small for anything but 2v2. I made this map with the intention of forcing players to fight over a tight space, shoulder to shoulder like a real medieval battle. Hopefully this will favour players forming proper medieval formations such as shield walls, wedges, shiltron etc.

Even with bots the map easily handles 12 players and that’s without anyone manning the siege engines.

Imagine the front row being knights with tower shields and the second row being vanguards with spears.

I really hope people will be making maps and mods that really create that feeling of a true medieval battlefield, where everyone works together in formations, shoulder to shoulder, and they work towards the victory of the team and not the individual. Sure, the guys in the back might not get that much action at first, but if the front is in need of reserves…

I hope for mods that will make people want to use a shield and want to stay with their buddies. Right now, no one uses shield except for passive archer protection on their backs, and people like to go solo (harder now since patch though) and are going for the most kills.

• @SavageBeatings:

@Dr:

@Gauntlet:

Imagine the front row being knights with tower shields and the second row being vanguards with spears.

I really hope people will be making maps and mods that really create that feeling of a true medieval battlefield, where everyone works together in formations, shoulder to shoulder, and they work towards the victory of the team and not the individual. Sure, the guys in the back might not get that much action at first, but if the front is in need of reserves…

I hope for mods that will make people want to use a shield and want to stay with their buddies. Right now, no one uses shield except for passive archer protection on their backs, and people like to go solo (harder now since patch though) and are going for the most kills.

Agree 100%

That’s why I made this map and hope to continue to male similar maps in the future :D .

• Okay…nice map, but on that first video that music made me have to stop watching it. unintelligible black man mumbling over what sounds like farts…lol

Erm…besides that, the map looks epic.

• @Psyfon:

Okay…nice map, but on that first video that music made me have to stop watching it. unintelligible black man mumbling over what sounds like farts…lol

Erm…besides that, the map looks epic.

Ummm… thanks :? Have you heard of mute?

• Sorry if i was rude, and i know of mute its just, i was enjoying the map in combo with the nice music :( and then i was like huh? and i seriously checked for pop ups lol

anyways, good job!

• @Psyfon:

Sorry if i was rude, and i know of mute its just, i was enjoying the map in combo with the nice music :( and then i was like huh? and i seriously checked for pop ups lol

anyways, good job!

No offense taken my friend, I was happy to hear you enjoyed it :D

More coming soon…

• Hey, i watched your nomad king gamemode video again….and i have an idea that i think would be really important that you think about…i don’t think there should be capture points that are easier for one team to get to than the other i.e. through positioning, or whatever. You could move them and try to figure out good positions that are still spread out to do that, however…heres an idea…randomized spawning locations, like in free for all, but two enemy teams only spawn a decent distance away from eachother…about the distance where you would want to hold up a shield from an archer, and not try to serpentine him yet…but you spawn in small groups of 2,3 or 4 teammates, with staggered spawning times for each group, or all at the same time in different areas of the map. So your group would have to travel and try to meet up and find the rest of your team…and then you can be lucky and spawn sort of near the current capture point, or not lucky and spawn far away! Ideally, you could do it in a way that would be balanced, and really make use of the sheer size of a map, by having semi random “squad” team spawns around the map…hope you take some of these ideas into consideration!

• For Nomad King mode, I definitely think it needs to be changed from 30 second intervals to resource based, for example each point is valued at 20% capture points, and once the 20% is used up it changes positions. So if Agatha holds it for 11%, and then gets killed off, then Masons can hold it for 9%, then the spot changes. 30 seconds is far too quick, and you don’t have time to get there and then hold it for any length of time.

Also I agree with the above poster about players spawning in squads of 3 - 4 randomly around the map, to avoid capture point location bias.

Finally: add a sound to indicate when a change occurs coupled with a chat box notification.

• @Gauntlet:

For Nomad King mode, I definitely think it needs to be changed from 30 second intervals to resource based, for example each point is valued at 20% capture points, and once the 20% is used up it changes positions. So if Agatha holds it for 11%, and then gets killed off, then Masons can hold it for 9%, then the spot changes. 30 seconds is far too quick, and you don’t have time to get there and then hold it for any length of time.

Also I agree with the above poster about players spawning in squads of 3 - 4 randomly around the map, to avoid capture point location bias.

Finally: add a sound to indicate when a change occurs coupled with a chat box notification.

To be honest programming resources like that is a bit too much extra programming for me right now, but I may make the time only activate if someone is in the hill itself and push the seconds to 40 or 45.

I will probably change the map so there are more bridges and make those the hills to avoid spawn bias rather than programming random spawns. Again this is just because it’s less programming.

I’m definitely going to add a sound and a on screen message saying when the hill is moving.

I’m working on Team Objective right now and it’s taking most of my time, the map is probably 200% bigger than the original maps and takes a lot more understanding of the SDK. It will be a siege map and has heaps of cool features, including a siege tower, ladders, a tunnel underneath the wall and a drawbridge.

• To be honest, I’m more excited by the idea of more team objective. I’m a bit tired of the old TO, and Citadel was a bad addition to TO maps so it didn’t give anymore longevity. Bring us something unique and fun!

• @Gauntlet:

To be honest, I’m more excited by the idea of more team objective. I’m a bit tired of the old TO, and Citadel was a bad addition to TO maps so it didn’t give anymore longevity. Bring us something unique and fun!

Yeah me too.

The bridge map was my first serious map for UDK so was a bit of an experiment, which is why I started with a fairly simple premise. I asked myself what was something that was easy to design but fun to play. As a reenactor I thought back to the real battles I’ve fought that were fun for small teams (10-16 people a side) and a bridge battle made perfect sense.

I’m much more interested in big TO maps but they really are a big step forward in level design. So I think I’ll release one more version of the current maps which have better lighting and more aesthetic touches but that will be it until I finish the TO map.

Also I’m waiting to see how the next patch treats SDK maps. I’m really hoping we see some fix for the bug that is stopping cooked maps from working on a lot of machines and servers.