About the Flail weapon

• My ideea is to give to flail a chance to hit behind shield and parry, for example 35% chance to hit with flail when someone parry with weapons or shields.
    I think this is the best way to make the flail closer to the realism…
    If the Flail will also have phisics after hits wold be nice also thanks.

• RNG? No thanks this is a skill based game.

• I personally hope they dont add a flail if they can’t really make it very well balanced, it’s the most difficult weapon to add in any game, because all it’s usefullness lies in momentum, and physics are hard to put in game.

• The Flail main role was to be able to hit the shielded armoured enemy ,u can hit lanes, overhead and u have chance to broke his hands head etc… ,so in fight with flail you have a bigger chance to hit the shielded enemy, if they make the flail with this feature adding to the weapon or why not adding all weapons a bigger or a lower chance to hit shielded enemyes… depending on their shape size and other variations of design.
    Is easyer to add a chance of hitting than using 100% phisics… is too hard and we must not forget that this is arcade mixed with realism… so they must find the middle solution and from my point of view
    this is the best one… if u find a better one say it.
    Random features in games always make the game with more fun…

• @-Slash-:

I personally hope they dont add a flail if they can’t really make it very well balanced, it’s the most difficult weapon to add in any game, because all it’s usefullness lies in momentum, and physics are hard to put in game.

balanced stuff or no stuff, agree

• No no no no no JollyRoger, randomness in games that require skill are totally a nono.

Imagine how annoying it would be to die because the chances were against you…

• Chances to hit are increased by the skill… so skill is the best chance to increase chances to hit :))
    Flail must be the weapon that have greatest chance o hit beyound shield and all other kinds of weapons
    so how they will do this ? please post some new ideas…

mine ideea is still this :flail +35% chance to hit those who use shield and weapons to defend themselves.

• @JollyRoger:

Chances to hit are increased by the skill… so skill is the best chance to increase chances to hit :))
    Flail must be the weapon that have greatest chance o hit beyound shield and all other kinds of weapons
    so how they will do this ? please post some new ideas…

mine ideea is still this :flail +35% chance to hit those who use shield and weapons to defend themselves.

They would do it by making only the ball of the flail blockable, not the chain. Simple and skill based. A flail user can easily hit you in the back of the skull if you don’t aim your block perfectly, but if you do there should by no means be a magical 35% chance for the flail to teleport through your shield.

• Is ok then, what u saying is more realistic… and that means if the enemy is very close he have a lower chance to defend against ball.

• @SlyGoat:

A flail user can easily hit you in the back of the skull if you don’t aim your block perfectly

Lol I seriously kinda felt a tickle on the back of my head while reading this, like getting a small taste of it…

• but they must do something with block because for example with knight and 2 hand weapon u have no chance against man at arms, he spam block and hit u fast , they should make similar to aoc blocking.

• The flail was my favorite weapon in AoC, I really hope it gets implemented! However nothing in C:MW should be chance based…

• I don’t think that the flail should have bells and whistles attached to be honest. I understand that it’s unique in terms of the way it’s used in a real battle, but in a game, having a single weapon with unique mechanics would feel out of place amongst the other weapons since they don’t. I mean, even the billhook had quite a niche role in a real battlefield and in this game it’s implemented just like any other polearm, so I think the flail should be just another mace for consistency’s sake. I don’t want to see the flail get scrapped though, so here’s a few of my ideas, just a little brainstorm I suppose. It’s just random notes for the developers to think about;

remember that you can’t block incoming blows with a flail (unless it’s two-handed, then you can use the shaft I suppose), so you would have to be unable to block with it if used on its own. (I can see how that would be a little inconsistent with the rest of the weapons however but it’s only an idea). It could be a nice “glass cannon” type weapon, having great damage, a fast swing and decent range, but also having a lot of bad attributes such as slow recovery time, uses lots of stamina and being unable to block with it… practically rendering it the most offensive but the least defensive weapon.

I know I said that weapons shouldn’t have “bells and whistles”, but this is just another idea of how it could be used in-game: I think that when you click for the first time you should start swinging the flail to build momentum (this will slowly drain your stamina)… it will swing it slowly at first and then it’ll get fast to indicate the power of your attack - then when you want to attack you press your mouse for a second time, or by using the mouse-wheel or whatever to choose the type of attack. I quite like this idea because it means if a player is up in your grill you won’t have enough time to charge up a powerful attack.

or it could just be another generic mace-like weapon that you smack people with.

• I think your post just exemplifies why the flail needs bells and whistles, man. Look at all that stuff that makes flails so cool, how can we have a flail without it? ;)

I’m hoping they’ll add more “bells and whistles” to current weapons later on, and/or add new weapons with said bells and/or whistles. The javelins already stand out from other weapons by being both ranged and melee simultaneously - and the only weapon that forces you to use a shield much for the same reason blocking with the flail wouldn’t make sense (perhaps the flail can only be used with a heater shield - after all, larger shields would get in the way of building momentum, and it’s a throwback to classic AoC flail).

A sling and a quarterstaff were the two other potential new weapons mentioned in the Q&A video, and I think those if implemented would also be pretty unique from the other weapons available. But then, after getting my hands on the shortbow, I wouldn’t mind if the sling was just an even faster ranged weapon - love that medieval SMG style.

• I love the idea of the flail being a unique weapon; you shouldn’t be able to block with it, and you should be able to combo slash, stab, and overhead smoothly.

• @Viper:

I love the idea of the flail being a unique weapon; you shouldn’t be able to block with it, and you should be able to combo slash, stab, and overhead smoothly.

Flail stabs. :?

• You know what I mean, like the “stab” from AoC, it was like a “spinning forward bash”. 8-)

• I thought there was mention of the flail having a windup, during which your opponent wouldn’t be able to tell what kind of attack was coming and that this was where the weapon would distinguish itself.

Also, its “Stab” should be the 360 degree from AOC.

• I think they should make the parry like in AoC , larger weapon lower damage for parry… only shields should block 100% damage…

• Yes I would like to see some damage from parrying bigger weapons too, so you wouldn’t want to stay and hug a knight with a maul if you’re an archer.