Vanguard behind the head windup.

• What’s up with vanguards winding up for a big baseball bat swing and hitting you when the swing is all the way behind their head? I know it’s not in the game’s design to program swings to do more damage at ‘sweetspots’ in their release time, but it looks absurd to see a vanguard put the greatsword behind his head to swing at a knight and, as I stand behind him coming in for a backstab my head just explodes because it grazed me. WHAT’S UP WITH THAT?!

• type
    aoc_drawtracer 1
    in the console, that way you can see the tracers of your weapon. Anything that touches these tracers takes damage. Pretty much every weapon has their tracers start behind your back though :/

Equally as “fun”: stand close to the right side of a Spear/Halberd stab. If you touch the tracers, you take full damage, no matter what.

• This also works with knight weapons. And it really should be fixed - many times I’ve been fighting with the maul, I overhead my target and try to figure out how I got 2 kills with that one strike. It’s only then that I see the dead, headless body behind me.

While hilarious, it really ought to be fixed. It’s complete BS.

• The flip-side is that it allows for some pretty awesome looking high risk/reward spin attacks.

• why would you want to remove such an awesome trick

maybe you should also remove parrying and jumping of the game

and the only class should be archer

• @CRUSHED:

why would you want to remove such an awesome trick

maybe you should also remove parrying and jumping of the game

and the only class should be archer

OH I DUNNO, maybe you should remove your head from your bumhole

• +1 to the above,
    But i dont think the damage should be removed from this “mechanic”. If you swing a maul back over your head in windup it is going to do damage.

• Omg whats the problem, just wait 0.1 or 0.2 sec until you backstab him…

Vanguards have little defense, so I think they deserve a little more defense by wide arcs attacks.

• @Towe:

Omg whats the problem, just wait 0.1 or 0.2 sec until you backstab him…

Vanguards have little defense, so I think they deserve a little more defense by wide arcs attacks.

They are buffed to hell. Now they also got the best 2h weapons (buffed up fucking shit).
    They have crapload of weapons who 2hit knights and 1hit archer/maa. They dont need defense when they kill people with long weapons, high knockback and huge damage. They take the same amount of hits to die anyway (2-3)

• lol

• @Uglyshit:

They are buffed to hell. Now they also got the best 2h weapons (buffed up fucking shit).

So I guess you play knight? And you want to best armor AND best weapons?

• Vanguards ARE easier to play than Knights and they do (mostly) more damage than Knights.
    Only obvious disadvantage is their missing shield.

Best part I had with this was being TKed by the BLUNT end of a spear as my mate in front of me thrusted it back to stab someone.

It should maybe daze you (interrupt your attack) at best or do LITTLE damage but full damage with that backslashes is just retarded. ;)

• I agree that it would be nice to have the wooden parts just do flinch or really low dmg, but I guess that would take a great deal of work and Im unsure about the balance effects.

@TheUndying:

Vanguards ARE easier to play than Knights and they do (mostly) more damage than Knights.

If you mean vanguards are easier to just pick up and get some melee kills I agree, since the knights advantage aside from the obvious armor is his defense against archers and more options by having better secondaries, both advantages are often not seen by newer players.

• This happens with every weapon that has a large enough arc radius where the weapon releases starts behind their head or slightly off to the side of their back. Pre patch you could cut someone’s head off with a Broadsword/Falchion slash who was right behind you. Now with the bubble, you don’t get this as much with the small one handed weapons.

It’s only more apparent with Vanguards and Knights who have access to the larger type of weapons.

• Wait till you see the 360°overheadintostabcombo, OP.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKkeVx315Lo

• @Tanta:

Wait till you see the 360°overheadintostabcombo, OP.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKkeVx315Lo

OP… lol if you think that’s OP then jumping OHs must be OP to you or dragging stabs. Laughable. If you die to that then it’s completely your fault because it’s some of the most readable stuff in the game AND it’s not easy to do yourself unlike a jumping OH when it’s barely more effective. Hell, it’s not even a good move to try because it puts you at so much risk anyways. Get some skill before you whine about shit.

• I think he meant OP as in original poster, you maniac.

Anyway for me this issue is more immersion rather than balance breaking. I’d be happy to extend VG damage reach at the end of versus the beginning of the swing. It just looks completely bizarre and unrealistic.

• @FALCONPUNCH!:

I think he meant OP as in original poster, you maniac.

Obviously not. Did you even read his post? And knowing this community there is no way he meant original poster.

Anyway for me this issue is more immersion rather than balance breaking. I’d be happy to extend VG damage reach at the end of versus the beginning of the swing. It just looks completely bizarre and unrealistic.

Don’t bring realism into this game you must have no idea what medieval combat really is like. This game is awesome for excessively gruesome arcade-ish medieval mayhem, not realism.

• @Jstorm:

@FALCONPUNCH!:

I think he meant OP as in original poster, you maniac.

Obviously not. Did you even read his post? And knowing this community there is no way he meant original poster.

I did in fact read his post. It’s only a sentence long, you must think I am dyslexic.

As for your remarks about knowing this community, if by community you mean the type of person who immediately tells someone to “get some skill before you whine about shit” when they have a differing opinion then…I guess you’re right?

Don’t bring realism into this game you must have no idea what medieval combat really is like. This game is awesome for excessively gruesome arcade-ish medieval mayhem, not realism.

This might be hard for you to swallow but I personally have fought in several medieval battles in which I took trophies which you can view on my twitter. They were unpleasant memories in which I lost some of my closest friends to sword/nunchucks/PTSD so I play this game in the hopes that I will come to terms with what we did and failed to do one day. Therefore you may henceforth consider me an authority on genuine medieval combat.