Make #1 players immune to auto balance

• It’s really frustrating being 16-0 and #1 on your team only to get auto balanced.

I know auto balance prefers to target people who joined the team later than others, but #1 score players should be immune to it.

• Amen.

• Yeah, Totally agreed. I once (Many times) completed objective alone and got switched right after that. Gosh, thats just so annoying :|

• @SOC:

It’s really frustrating being 16-0 and #1 on your team only to get auto balanced.

I know auto balance prefers to target people who joined the team later than others, but #1 score players should be immune to it.

Good idea.

• @SOC:

It’s really frustrating being 16-0 and #1 on your team only to get auto balanced.

Sry, but that sounds like you only did 16-0 because you where on the stronger team.

I agree on the objectives, but I think there will be situations where you need to move the leading player to balance teams…

• @Hunutteri:

Yeah, Totally agreed. I once (Many times) completed objective alone and got switched right after that. Gosh, thats just so annoying :|

Man, this happens to me on battlegrounds. I burn down the market, the wheatfields, half the barn, kill 10 guys, and then get switched -__-

Happened a few times on Darkforest too after babying the cart all the way to the 2nd section. Feels like such a gyp.

• @Towe:

Sry, but that sounds like you only did 16-0 because you where on the stronger team.

I agree on the objectives, but I think there will be situations where you need to move the leading player to balance teams…

Going 16-0 is a very common thing in pubs at my skill level, regardless of team. But the point isn’t only about K/D, it’s also about objective score. For example, say you join the match late on the second objective in Stoneshill and the ram just reached the gate. Say you go 0-2, but in those two deaths you rammed the entire gate from full to done and got all those points and you’re now #1 on the team. You’re on the king objective, and about 1 minute later you get auto balanced to defense, punishing you for your good work.

See the problem here? Auto balance shouldn’t force the “leading player” to be punished for his good work. That’s not balance. Auto balance isn’t about evening skill. It’s about evening numbers. Skill shouldn’t be punished. It’s only meant to stop teams from like 12vs6, and force it to be even numbers. There’s many times where you join late, crush the enemy team and make them rage quit, then you get auto balanced to the now losing team because you just made them lose and there’s not enough time to make up for all the good work you just did against that team.

• EVERYONE who gets autobalanced is in the position that his work is now used against him.

If thats really so much of a burden to you theres an easy solution: Join the weaker team.
    If youre really so super good you might lead them to victory and get a real accomplishment you could be proud of.

• Everyone should be subject to auto balance. It should only prioritise certain people over others however: such as people who have recently joined.

Also why does it matter if you get auto balanced when you are 16-0? By that reasoning, you should continue to do get a great KDR and have fun. Unless of course you are complaining about getting auto balanced once you have a lot of objective points, such as pushing the cart on Dark Forest or ramming the battering ram/killing peasants on Stoneshill.

If you had of started your thread with “I don’t like the idea of being auto balanced when I was the one who battered down the gates on Stoneshill” then maybe I wouldn’t have taken issue.

Instead you complained about auto balance somehow affecting your KDR, while in reality if you are operating at such a high skill level, then you shouldn’t be perturbed by it.

I do agree on the points of doing team objective making you less likely to be auto balanced though, but if it’s only KDR then it shouldn’t matter if you get auto balanced.

If you are going 16-0 then its clear that the enemy team might be having quite a hard time, why don’t you just consider it an extra challenge now that you’ve been auto balanced?

And auto balance is not a punishment. It’s there to keep the teams even and it was and never has been intended as a punishment for doing too well.

• Maybe the ranks should also be taken into account. I know what it’s like being the only rank 37 on a team of 0-3s after a sale. You know what it’s like?
    It’s hell.

• @Carolean:

Maybe the ranks should also be taken into account. I know what it’s like being the only rank 37 on a team of 0-3s after a sale. You know what it’s like?
    It’s hell.

I always cringe when you have something like plus 10 sub level 20’s on your team, with the way rank is bugged at the moment, the few level 45’s you might have on your team could very well be level 5 players.

As it currently stands, rank =/= skill. Sure, it’s a better indicator than any but anyone can play FFA 24/7 and simply boost their rank in a few short hours.

Playtime on the other hand, is a better representation of skill in my opinion.

• @DokB:

Everyone should be subject to auto balance. It should only prioritise certain people over others however: such as people who have recently joined.

Also why does it matter if you get auto balanced when you are 16-0? By that reasoning, you should continue to do get a great KDR and have fun. Unless of course you are complaining about getting auto balanced once you have a lot of objective points, such as pushing the cart on Dark Forest or ramming the battering ram/killing peasants on Stoneshill.

If you had of started your thread with “I don’t like the idea of being auto balanced when I was the one who battered down the gates on Stoneshill” then maybe I wouldn’t have taken issue.

Instead you complained about auto balance somehow affecting your KDR, while in reality if you are operating at such a high skill level, then you shouldn’t be perturbed by it.

I do agree on the points of doing team objective making you less likely to be auto balanced though, but if it’s only KDR then it shouldn’t matter if you get auto balanced.

If you are going 16-0 then its clear that the enemy team might be having quite a hard time, why don’t you just consider it an extra challenge now that you’ve been auto balanced?

And auto balance is not a punishment. It’s there to keep the teams even and it was and never has been intended as a punishment for doing too well.

Getting kills gives you objective points. If I’m on defense and I have 400 points and 20-0 KDR, by far #1 on the team, why should I be punished by getting auto balanced with 3 minutes to go after doing all that good work for defense? Likewise, why should I get punished for being 20-0 #1 on attacking team in Hillside after lighting the pyre my self, being one of the players who secured all 3 trebuchets, and shot down 2 of the enemy ships and landed 4 shots already on the final one? That isn’t a “challenge,” it’s a punishment for all my hard work on either team. Notice that I said #1 player, not just KDR. KDR is obviously important in TO on both teams (attacking team kills mean less enemies defending objective, defending team kills means less attackers doing the objective) but if I have a great KD and little objective score (being 15-2 on attacking Stoneshill, but burnt no houses, killed no peasants and 3 people have better obj scores above me because they did all that and did all the ram work too) then I should be subject to auto balance.

If I was 55-5 on attacking team Stoneshill and got all those points simply from kills and did not do the objective, but still #1 because kills give objective points, then wouldn’t you be able to say that the reason my team completed the objectives was because I was doing such a good job securing kills and letting them do the objective with little hindrance? Likewise if I’m 55-5 on defense, isn’t that the whole point of defense? Killing them before they reach the objective, or even killing them on the objective?

What bothers me about auto-balance is that even though I wasn’t the first to click on either team before the game even started, I did amazing for my team for however long I was on it and then get switched afterwards, thus being punished. It doesn’t feel like a challenge, it doesn’t feel like “OH WELL I’M SUPER HIGH SKILLED GUESS I’LL JUST OWN THIS NEW TEAM LOL,” it feels like “well crap, only 3 mins left to attack because I did such a great job on defense. gg I made my self to lose.”

• Correct me if I’m wrong but I think auto balance in some games is actually programmed to happen less towards the end of a round. At least I remember that was the case for a few games I use to play, it’s probably not like that in Chiv though.

I agree with you, if you are really doing that well, then you shouldn’t get moved unless there is absolutely no one else that could be in a position to be auto balanced. Whether this be means swapping the newest guy or simply finding a guy around the upper middle of the scoreboard, the guy who is top scoring is probably having the most impact upon the games conclusion, to swap them could cause problems but also be seen as a punishment.

I think it comes down to the way auto balance calculates things, but in Chivarly it might be different or it might be truly random. It isn’t a punishment though, don’t look at it like that. Sure it feels that way but the system is more than likely centred around keeping the teams as even as possible in terms of numbers.

• Auto balance is only disabled in the last 2 minutes. 2 minutes and 1 second left is completely open to auto balance, though.

Currently, auto balance will only target players who joined the team later than some other players, even if that player targeted was not the last joining player on that team. The only way to completely avoid auto balance is by joining your team faster than everyone else by a large margin before the game starts. Auto balance does not look at rank, KD, or score at all. Only at how many numbers each team has on it and when you joined that team.

It feels like punishment simply because I was still loading the game while everyone joined their team faster than me, or I alt tabbed for a second before the game started, or people just clicked faster than me before I made my decision on what I felt like playing on. Honestly I would go and say the top 3 obj score players should not be auto balanced, but at least the #1 player shouldn’t. The #1 is obviously contributing the most to his team’s success, especially if he joined late and still is #1 on the team.

• Honestly I would go and say the top 3 obj score players should not be auto balanced, but at least the #1 player shouldn’t. The #1 is obviously contributing the most to his team’s success.

Agreed, but maybe only have this apply after 5 minutes has passed in the server time. This should allow plenty of time for people to establish themselves on the scoreboard. If the teams need to be auto balanced before the five minute period than anyone should be open to getting moved. Any time past the five minutes? It will then pick from a pool of people which can constantly change with the scoreboard. The pool consisting of people who recently joined, people in the middle of the scoreboard or people with more team damage than others (not sure about this one).

Maybe in the future a server option could be made to sort teams via rank and split them evenly amongst the teams at round start?

• Auto balance based on rank is a bad idea because just because someone is high ranked doesn’t mean they’re skilled. Not only that, sometimes a high rank wants to play something they’re not good with and learn, not have to worry about being good try hard 24/7. There’s a lot of good knights out there that suck at archer, and a lot of good archers that suck at knight.

I don’t like the first 5 mins thing. I go 12-0 easy in the first mins very often, heck a lot of times the first 5 mins can dictate the entire rest of the match when objectives get completed fast.

• Well we cannot create a system that completely revolves around you unfortunately. All you need to make sure is that the team numbers are the same and the current system does that, it does not calculate for people getting upset over it.

And I said in another thread that skill does not correlate to the person’s rank. But it’s all we have to work with and it’s a better indicator than anything else save maybe play time but again play time cannot correlate to skill 100% of the time nor can I envision the game going into your steam stats to see how long you’ve played and then split a team up dependant on that.

If you don’t like an idea then suggest an alternative, I’m open for discussion. It will be better for discussion if we have something to actually discuss instead of talking about how we stomp pubs etc.

• @SOC:

I go 12-0 easy in the first mins very often,

I find it funny that you constantly insist beeing super good and then come here to complain about stuff like this.

Gives me the impression youre one of those players who rank up their K/D ratio by joining the stronger team or focussing on noobs to beat.

I agree that autobalance should move the ones doing objectives less likely, still to balance teams you HAVE TO move the better players to the weaker team. K/D ratio may be the best way to judge who is good in this round…

One a side note it would be nice if the game would also take steamfriends into account. Can get annoying if you want to play coop with a friend.

• @DokB:

Well we cannot create a system that completely revolves around you unfortunately. All you need to make sure is that the team numbers are the same and the current system does that, it does not calculate for people getting upset over it.

And I said in another thread that skill does not correlate to the person’s rank. But it’s all we have to work with and it’s a better indicator than anything else save maybe play time but again play time cannot correlate to skill 100% of the time nor can I envision the game going into your steam stats to see how long you’ve played and then split a team up dependant on that.

If you don’t like an idea then suggest an alternative, I’m open for discussion. It will be better for discussion if we have something to actually discuss instead of talking about how we stomp pubs etc.

I don’t understand. Who would disagree that making the #1 obj score player on the team become immune to auto balance is a good thing and an easy implementation? Why is it just “revolved around me?”

@Towe:

I find it funny that you constantly insist beeing super good and then come here to complain about stuff like this.

Gives me the impression youre one of those players who rank up their K/D ratio by joining the stronger team or focussing on noobs to beat.

I agree that autobalance should move the ones doing objectives less likely, still to balance teams you HAVE TO move the better players to the weaker team. K/D ratio may be the best way to judge who is good in this round…

One a side note it would be nice if the game would also take steamfriends into account. Can get annoying if you want to play coop with a friend.

I just join attacking team only in almost every TO game, and Agatha only in every non TO game. I don’t look at ranks. I don’t look at team stacking. I just play whatever team I feel like playing in each game. Sometimes I’ll play defense in 32p+ servers because attacking can be very difficult without coordinating team mates (I like being a lone wolf), so that too is when auto balance bothers me when I’m doing such a good job defending and preventing the attacking team to win. I don’t think auto balance should send #1 player on team over. It’s that simple. Who cares about rank or skill, just don’t send the #1 player. He’s contributing the most to his team’s success and if anyone deserves not to be auto balanced, it’s him.

Here’s a couple of screens showing me doing quick games having best KD and obj score, and why I should be immune to auto balance. I don’t think any of the teams were “stacked” like you say they are.

http://img607.imageshack.us/img607/8268/afs4.jpg
    http://imageshack.us/a/img20/4569/7mnb.jpg

And then here’s a couple of screens of me doing really well for one team, then getting auto balanced 3 minutes before the game ended and losing because I had to spend 20+ mins defending after doing such a good job attacking.

http://imageshack.us/a/img547/8358/4sfi.jpg - This one even gave me king… I didn’t realize it and press page down sooner.
    http://img5.imageshack.us/img5/1796/p7px.jpg

I don’t know how else to say my point. I think screens like this are just pointless because anyone can do good in random pubs especially in sales, but what else do I have to do to get my point across?

• You say yourself that you want to select this or that team for this or that reason. Did you ever think about the other players? Maybe they want to select the same team for the same reason?

Maybe we just differ on one thing: I think everyone should be the same when it comes down to how much fun you have, you think the better players should be prefered. (Noone likes to get teamswitched I assume.)

In chivalry better players do not get rewarded with higher lvls, better weapons or imunity to certain gamemechanics. I think thats a good thing.

Autobalance often takes a long time till it kicks in (at least I can often figure teams are imbalanced long before it starts moving players), so if you join the weaker team you can avoid your issue.

In the end I just dont get whats the big deal. What does it matter who wins the round? Do you get ranked in your clan according to statistics or what? Id much rather have an autobalance system that balances the best it can than one thats of limited use cause you cant move player X.

If you want to balance teams you have to move good players from the better to the weaker team. That should be done by moving the least amount of players. Not beeing able to move the best one would then probably require to move more players of lesser skill - bad choice imo.