Crossbows? Javelins?

• Surprisingly no one has yet made a thread about these gorillas in the corner.

Crossbows and Javelins really are too easy to use imo for the 1 shot power they have.

I don’t mind that these allow brand new players to be able to have a weapon they can use but should they really be able to 1 shot? (mind you need Heavy Crossbow to 1 shot a knight and the last Javelin unlock)

My only argument is that they have a giant benefit but don’t take much of any practice to use. Myself if I am having difficulty winning, I often switch to crossbow which will be a one sided fight if they don’t have one.

• I can’t comment on crossbows because I’ve always hated them since AoC so I’m completely biased.

However, javelins I really enjoyed in AoC, and they do feel far too easy in Chivalry for how much more powerful they are - at the cost of being overall weaker in melee (so many things kill you in one hit and your stab has nowhere near the reach it did in AoC) which is probably my biggest disappointment.

What I’d like to see for javelins, and I’ve said this numerous times since alpha, is for them to be momentum based. You should be able to throw a javelin in full sprint and do a lot of damage, but if you’re just backpeddaling and playing like an archer instead of a skirmisher you shouldn’t get nearly the power you do now.

• Shields exist for a reason X. Crossbows, in most cases result in your death if you miss as they have such a long reload.

• @Sir:

Shields exist for a reason X. Crossbows, in most cases result in your death if you miss as they have such a long reload.

See but this is my biggest gripe with crossbows. They completely hard counter the vanguard, for one - for another, they force you to use a shield. Tertiary weapons are meant to be a choice, not a “Oh they have an archer or two, I have to use a shield instead of throwing axes”.

• You can also claim that the vanguard is the best counter to the archer class as the charge 1hits them.

The crossbow is a do or die if someone is coming for you.

As a side note, javelins still don’t work right for me, they’re very bugged with the animations and such.

• If you miss with the crossbow, I don’t know what to tell you. It’s not do or die, its do or you should just quit the game at that point honestly.

Now technically if you miss, obviously it doesn’t mean death as you are equiped with a weapon as well and can get to teammates possibly. Vanguard charge slash doesn’t always 1 hit kill and also any 2 handed weapon can often 1 shot an archer anyway.

You saying that’s what shields are for is like saying, just play a Knight and then it won’t be a problem. (Since Knights have the biggest shields and the smaller ones can be shot around the edges.)

• Personally, I see no issues with any of the Crossbows and my only issue with the Javelin is that it fires too quickly; there have been times where I haven’t been able to react fast enough to block with a shield and this shouldn’t be the case. Javelins also need to provide extra damage when sprinting forward.

• Javs can be very powerful in the right hands. I forget the user, it might be LosPepe? …But regardless, he’s incredibly deadly with them.

• @Martin:

Personally, I see no issues with any of the Crossbows and my only issue with the Javelin is that it fires too quickly; there have been times where I haven’t been able to react fast enough to block with a shield and this shouldn’t be the case. Javelins also need to provide extra damage when sprinting forward.

Javelins should do 500x more damage while you can hold them in both hands while throwing them alternating and pulling an infinite supply off your back while at the same time they surprise fire when you pelvic thrust.

Or alternatively we can make serious responses.

I just think for how powerful they are, they should require more skill to use. They don’t need to be nerfed, just require being better to use them well.

• What’s not serious about forcing javelins to play aggressive and make it obvious when they’re about to throw a javelin at you?

I assume the response you want is “Yeah let’s nerf crossbows and javelins so they do the same damage as a longbow, that way there’s no reason to use them”.

• @SlyGoat:

What’s not serious about forcing javelins to play aggressive and make it obvious when they’re about to throw a javelin at you?

I assume the response you want is “Yeah let’s nerf crossbows and javelins so they do the same damage as a longbow, that way there’s no reason to use them”.

@~X~:

I just think for how powerful they are, they should require more skill to use. They don’t need to be nerfed, just require being better to use them well.

I assumed forum user’s can read. My bad.

Also javelin’s doing more damage than they currently do? They already one shot everything short of a Knight. Forgive me if I didn’t take that response seriously.

Also you are probably defending Blaine because he is one of your friends as seen on steam. Maybe you even are more biased than you think.

• Lol relax, he didnt mean more damage than it already does, he meant it should do more damage from what the damage will be if youre not sprinting, whatever that value will be, if it gets changed.

I dont know if I made myself understood tbh, I tried though :P

• @~X~:

Also you are probably defending Blaine because he is one of your friends as seen on steam. Maybe you even are more biased than you think.

That’s completely irrelevant. Momentum based damage for the Javelin is something I’ve personally been wanting for 3 years and I’m not the only one. It’s been on the radar so to speak, but something that’s just not been nailed down on yet. In fact, at one point during the alpha, we had working sprint throw animations, but they didn’t provide additional damage due to lack of code support; due to some complications, the sprint throw animations were not used in the end.

• @~X~:

@SlyGoat:

What’s not serious about forcing javelins to play aggressive and make it obvious when they’re about to throw a javelin at you?

@~X~:

I assumed forum user’s can read. My bad.

Also javelin’s doing more damage than they currently do? They already one shot everything short of a Knight. Forgive me if I didn’t take that response seriously.

So having to build up momentum to make your javelins do the same damage they currently do when you’re just standing still != more skill to use.

And how do you make a weapon “harder to use” without nerfing it? Slow down the projectile speed, increase the arc? Those are still nerfs. Maybe we can have it function the same way it does now in terms of speed and damage and everything, but the crosshair and aim randomly bounces around the screen. That’ll make it more skill based, right?

Seriously, go ahead, share your brilliant plan. Because just saying “this is too strong and too easy but i don’t want it to be nerfed just harder” and then not explaining at all what that means doesn’t help anyone. And then borderline flaming people who aren’t even wholly disagreeing with you certainly doesn’t make it any better.

• While I know we’re not allowed to disagree with the OP, and if we do it must mean we suffer from a mental deficiency or a learning disability, but I still disagree. I think for the most part the crossbow and javelin are fine. I preferred the aiming style in AoC for the ranged classes, and with CMW’s already minimal UI I think it would be better suited there, I don’t find them all that different to use in practice. I personally find the bows easier to use than the crossbows in most game modes.

• @Sir:

You can also claim that the vanguard is the best counter to the archer class as the charge 1hits them.

Yes, a move that requires you to run in an extremely predictable way over a fairly long distance, which is terminated by you shouting at the top of your voice and making an extremely slow, easily dodged swing is a good counter against archers :P

I really think charge has no value whatsoever in the game atm, except for backstabbing players who don’t have their sound on or something.

On topic: If anything, ranged weapons indeed make shields matter a bit too much, as SlyGoat already mentioned. If there are too many archers of any kind, shield is almost mandatory. When you do have a shield, fighting them becomes a walk in the park.

Also, ~X~, your attitude in several discussions on the forum has been irritating me greatly, to be honest.

• Honestly, with Javelins like these, I could’ve killed Xerxes myself.

(I have no previous irl Javelin experience.)

I can’t wait for duel mode so I can one shot every class with the crossbow. Until someone else grabs a crossbow :o .

• You mean until someone picks a shield.

• @-Slash-:

You mean until someone picks a shield.

You can easily get around the shield or just take out your sword and block and switch back and shoot during their swing.

I’m sincerely sorry you wouldn’t know about that since you don’t actually have the game.

• Sure ok just chew that gum over and over again…

Eventually we will speak in game chat…