Balance the votekick system please

• There is something that simply completely blowed my mind.

5 Mins ago I was plying on a server on Stoneshill, and I very quickly got a whole lot of kills. Suddenly when respawning a teammate killed me in the middle of nothing. I proceeded to votekick him which failed. He followed it by saying that “You teamkill more than me Joris” which he then votekicks me.

I get 66% of the votes yes and I just got kicked. Their own fucking top player…

As we all know, I think it has to be said, and the way it all went is exactly like this:

1. Enemy players votekick me because I’m their enemy top players, so OFC they all vote yes
    2. I had only 12% of TK, which is absolutely nothing compared to so many other players. Still, this seems satisfying enough for most of the people to votekick me…?

This is really gamebreaking. Facts are facts: I did absolutely nothing wrong, and I was helping my own team in every possible way. Still, there ARE ways in this game to simply kick the most honest players for NO reason.

Do the developers really think this is the way to threat their own playerbase community? I really feel being the victim of an still/yet abusive system that has never known polish so far I know.

How can you possibly justify the ability to kick honest and enjoyeable players when it also really happens? I really enjoy Chivalry a lot, more than almost any other game, but if this keeps continuing, I see absolutely no reason to keep playing this or even recommending it to other players, as this is (resumed into one word) un-ac-cepteable.

I hope at least someone related to the development of Chivalry can say anything about this, or I will truly doubt if devs really do listen to the forums, as I really tend to believe this is very important to be fixed.

Thanks for hearing me out :|

• @JorisCeoen:

How can you possibly justify the ability to kick honest and enjoyeable players when it also really happens?

How is the game supposed to know who are the good ones?

• Don’t be so quick on the votekick system yourself.

• What needs balancing, aside from the claymore?

The votekick system is fine. If 66% of the server wanted you gone, then you done goofed somewhere. Maybe you were being a turd about your score, who knows.

Why a screenshot of the scoreboard? Why not the console with the chat logs in it?

I’ve found that top players sometimes seem to think they have diplomatic immunity. “You can’t kick me, I’m your top player!” etc.

People will always abuse votekicks. If you get votekicked, you’re either in a server full of asses and you should just switch anyway, or you deserved it.

My $0.02.

I also recommend finding a server and establishing yourself in its community. This will reduce the number of votekicks that pass.

• Some top player can be rather pompous dicks. Especially when its their first time.

Be the nice guy. And you won’t get kicked.

Though I managed to murder 5 of my team mates with the catapult on battlegrounds. 3 in one go. I got a bit of verbal abuse and they all came passed and kicked me a couple times. But I used the sorry VO as bowed at their feet. They seemed statisfied with that. Only one of then knew I was admin and I hadn’t logged in so I wasn’t immune to a votekick.

If you try and fight that abuse you will probably get kicked. Agree that it was a stupid mistake and you won’t.

That’s a different story but that’s with multiple teamkills. And 2 of my 3 shots with the cats that killed lots of team mates were my fault and could have been avoided. Though I blame the catapult click glitch.

• You guys are all right in what you say, but you this time it really wasn’t because I TK’ed anyone. I didn’t even went to the catapult. I wouldn’t be putting this on the forums if it was that way, because I have had it earlier as well, especially that would say with the catapult (which can just be bad luck).

This time there was absolutely nothing wrong, but I may indeed have been slated by little kids, or for whatever other reason.

What bothers me the most, is that if there is a votekick against a top player, I’ve seen it for other people as well, then sometimes you have teammates from your own team that start saying that we should vote Yes so that their top player gets kicked to make it much easier for us :(

While some are saying that being at first spot doesn’t make you immune, in my eyes it makes you more vulnereable. No, not getting on the top spot is not an option.

I still appreciate all of the responses, it’s useful, but unfortunatly not really the solution to what I still think is a matterful problem, which also unfortunatly stumbles across many opiniated reasons as other problems (I never ment to say that the balancing of that system was easy, but there has to be a way IMO).

Next time I’ll post console logs, or I’ll record the whole run and I stumble across the same problem I can upload it to my channel (http://www.youtube.com/user/JorisCeoen) for anyone to see.

• @lemonater47:

This.

You clearly dominated the server judging from the scoreboard.
    Ever thought about taking a step back instead of just ramping up your killcount?

You could start just helping your outnumbered teammates and otherwise only kill those who engaged you.

If the votekick system teaches people to treat their fellow players like humans instead of bots who are just their to boost the ego when they get slain, I love it!

Really people, start thinking a bit how the other players feel. Everyone is supposed to have fun here…

• @Towe:

@lemonater47:

This.

You clearly dominated the server judging from the scoreboard.
    Ever thought about taking a step back instead of just ramping up your killcount?

You could start just helping your outnumbered teammates and otherwise only kill those who engaged you.

If the votekick system teaches people to treat their fellow players like humans instead of bots who are just their to boost the ego when they get slain, I love it!

Really people, start thinking a bit how the other players feel. Everyone is supposed to have fun here…

I’m sorry but that is perhaps one of the most unthoughtful responses I have had since quite some time… Do you really think someone is supposed to stop killing just because he has a high kill count, higher than arguably any one else? Besides, I was at the chart the whole time killing those who were pushing, helping my team and the objective all the time.

Besides, there is ramping up kill count at all costs, like those who would kill any enemy no matter what’s in the way, and those like me who carefuly watch their KD/ratio and only attack when it’s necessary and safe, which was the case at the game I was kicked in.

• I’m sort of wondering about the sudden influx of votekick related threads.

Joris, if 66% of a server wanted you gone, a troll either played his hand mightily, or you pissed a lot of people off.

It’s actually very unlikely that all of the people in a server want you gone arbitrarily.

Just learn from your experience. Find out what you can do better to not get kicked. These fellow forum-ites finally made me realize that I was indeed feeding the trolls. I stopped doing that, and I enjoyed the game so much more.

• @JorisCeoen:

I’m sorry but that is perhaps one of the most unthoughtful responses I have had since quite some time… Do you really think someone is supposed to stop killing just because he has a high kill count, higher than arguably any one else?

I can see why you got kicked.
    I give you some examples how you may avoid getting kicked, and you return with an insult.

Sure you dont have to stop owning noobs, but you should be aware that its probably not fun for them to play with you then…

• I generally switch sides if the teams are unbalanced or if there are girls on the other team.

• I agree… kinda? I hate getting kicked. To that point, however, I’ve only been kicked from 2 servers. Once was a French server, and I had terrible ping. I deserved that. But the other time was because I joined a small server (the best, in my opinion) and mowed the other team down in a single run. I then proceeded to tell them how to block. Votekick… success.

Thus my mistake was not beating them into the dirt; it was being a dick about it. I’ve found that when you’re polite and friendly, people tend to side with you; even if they are on the other team.

I was top player on a server (and had doubled the score of the other team’s top player) when I had a teammate try to be funny. He ran in while I was juggling 3 guys and killed me. Then he posted a giant “LOL” in chat. I shrugged it off, thinking he was just drunk or stoned, but he decided to do it again. I called him out for a duel and waited at the spawn. After handing him his face, he votekicked me, remarking that I was a “tker.” The vote failed with a whopping 80-something-percent against. Since there was only a total of 8 players… he was the only one to have voted yes.

The only time you really get kicked is when you’re a dick.

However, I have seen others kicked for no reason, entirely undeserving. The system needs a more robust framework.

For example:

Votekick is initiated against Player0000 -> Systems checks team damage, Player0000 has their voting rights revoked until resolution.

Team damage above Threshold A -> Votekick system requires X percentage of the server to kick.
    Team damage below Threshold A -> Votekick must be initiated by a second player, as well.

Votekick is initiated against Player0000, system returns team damage as under A, vote has been endorsed by another player -> System requires Y percentage of the server to kick.

Let’s say the Threshold A is 40%. If you’re above that, a single player can initiate the vote. It would require less people to kick (say only 45% of the server), thus any dedicated teamkillers would be easily dispatched by their own team, the other team wouldn’t be able to sour the vote simply because they’re bitter. Since Player0000 cannot vote, either, it saves you from people who switch teams to teamkill (people who have their entire team vote no, just so they can ruin the game).

If the player is below the threshold, it requires 2 players to initiate the vote. This means that when a hacker joins and starts spamming the chat with font size 52, he is not immune simply because his team damage is 0. But this also means that more players must be required to form consensus. Y percentage would probably be something closer to 65-75% of the server.

TL;DR
    Any system which can forcibly cause someone to do something can be abused, including the idea I just laid out. But the system itself should realize this, too. Thus it must have something built in to help adapt to this.

• Why do you people hate democracy?
    'Merca, fuck yah.

• Since you were the top Agathian player on Stoneshill, maybe this was going through your allies’ heads.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KXs8OS6EdAE

• Hey guys.

Once a day at least I got votekicked for no reason… Today I joined a server, played MAXIMUM 1 minute and got votekicked… I got 1 kill.

Be the nice guy? How? I didn’t write anything in the chat, I didn’t even have the time for it ffs…
    And what happens on “the other side”? People playing with really high pings and can’t be kicked, because the others didn’t vote yes or didn’t vote at all. Where’s the autokick to the high pingers btw?

Put a captcha and a “must enter” reason field to the votekick system and we are fine. Maybe I (and other players) can get votekicked less times…

So, the game doesn’t have the proper community… okay, it happens… But please, do something to feel less the stupid people’s stupidity, regulate the community!! I love this game, but hate its people right now…

Sorry for my english, my manner, etc…

• The presumption of OP being ‘guilty of something’ is wrong. I’ve experienced vote kicks for no reason.

There has to be an intelligent way to handle abusive players rather than giving everyone the ability to call vote kicks, 50% hp loss maybe?

• Any limits you place on the system will be exploited by griefers. There is no substitute for human judgement. If they’re stupid humans then find better humans. I’m still looking …

• Having this vote kick system is better than nothing. Some servers with disabled vote kick are major example of what can go wrong if you can’t kick someone.
    Kill your own king? why not they can’t do shit.

On the other hand it can be frustrating when somebody is randomly kicking people. Ego kicks are annoying too. Fortunately I am an admin on the servers that I play most and can react to some silliness. That’s why I recommend to play on private servers where admins are active.

About the OP whine…clearly dominating there with quite a lot of newbs…it can be simple issue of people wanting to play on lower skill level than yours.

When I feel like skill level on server is lower, I start to play in more laid back meaner. Supporting other players or trying some silly stuff that gets me killed just for lolz.

After all it’s all about fun and there is no more fun then laughing my ass off while playing cooperatively ;)

• My suggestion is to have a “reason” field, so other players can see if it’s a random votekick, and a votekick limit on a player. Yesterday there was a newbie, trying to votekick everybody who has even 5% team damage. Literally, there was no moment when the votekick window wasn’t up.

They are not radical changes, disabling the whole isn’t a good idea, that’s true. Of course I can understand the lower level newcomers don’t want to killed by a pro everytime…

• @Pityke4:

My suggestion is to have a “reason” field, so other players can see if it’s a random votekick, and a votekick limit on a player. Yesterday there was a newbie, trying to votekick everybody who has even 5% team damage. Literally, there was no moment when the votekick window wasn’t up.

They are not radical changes, disabling the whole isn’t a good idea, that’s true. Of course I can understand the lower level newcomers don’t want to killed by a pro everytime…

There’s a votekick cool down period.

And a reason field won’t do anything. What’s to stop them from putting some bullshit reason?