Irony and Server 'Moderation'

• First of all i’ve only been playing this game a week, but have experienced an overwhelming amount of hostility and negativity when joining online matches. Not long ago i my account went from a rank 12 to a rank 46, i seem to be getting even more hostility due to the fact i am supposedly rank 46 than when i was a noobie.

Repeatedly kicked from games when disagreeing with people, or just pissing them off by killing them a few times or accidentally team-killing people. Whatever it is the voting system that is implemented on vast majority is stupid and unfair. Being kicked with no good reason and then subsequently banned from servers yet again with no good reason.

As far as i can acknowledge, persistent team-killers, hackers and abusive people can remain on servers yet unassuming players such as myself can be kicked merely for talking/disagreeing with people whether it be an over-zealous server admin or by the voting system which favours people who play games with friends or clan mates.

Frankly it is a very disappointing turn of events, i have played many FPS, MMOs and other online games in which my demeanor wasn’t the cause of so many kicks, never been kicked so much in any game ever, and this isn’t just because i’m wielding a shield.

TL;DR People talk shit in online games, have done and will always do so, why does this community feel the need to be so harsh and unrelenting those that do? If you lose a verbal argument your only way to resolve is to let your weapon do the talking, resorting to kicking and banning people is just childish. Save the kicking and banning for the real bastards, hackers, and other cheats.

• Welcome to the forums sir.

Im afraid I have to be a bit of a git. I notice you say something about getting kickvoted a lot for “talking/disagreeing with people”. I therefore assume that if you are REGULARLY being kickvoted, its because you are drawing attention to yourself.

Probably by being an ass. Heres a trick - im not often kickvoted, because im not a prick in chat.

Theres a difference between a few trolls wanting to kick you, and over half the server voting for it. Try disabling chat and keeping your mouth shut, then see how often you get kickvoted. Just ignore the baboons that obviously keep provoking you, because theyll piss you off and make you annoy everyone else - then call a votekick you.

Asides from that, the actual community for this game (the guys who stick around for longer than a quick troll after spending a few quid in the summer sale) is wonderful, asides from the odd one or two. I hope you stick around, and I hope to see you around! :).

• One of the things I enjoy in this game is that its community isnt trash talking as much as they do in other games.

Maybe grow some manners?

• Arbitrary kickvotes do exist, but most of them don’t fall into the “Arbitrary” category.

Yeah, if you repeatedly get kicked, you might want to re-evaluate your strategies.

If someone bitches at you in chat, just completely ignore them. It doesn’t matter if you have the best essay thought out, you’ll just lose by even playing.

• Kind of defeats the purpose of having chat in the first place. As a mature adult i can take any abuse anybody might throw at me in my stride. Why are we so sensitive on the internet? In real life if someone is being abusive or ignorant, i simply ignore them. Why do people feel the need to kick/ban people just because they dislike their tone.

Simply, ffs internet grow some balls and stop being so upset and needing to remove people that don’t fit into your fluffy little world of politeness and good manners.

• @The:

Kind of defeats the purpose of having chat in the first place. As a mature adult i can take any abuse anybody might throw at me in my stride. Why are we so sensitive on the internet? In real life if someone is being abusive or ignorant, i simply ignore them. Why do people feel the need to kick/ban people just because they dislike their tone.

Simply, ffs internet grow some balls and stop being so upset and needing to remove people that don’t fit into your fluffy little world of politeness and good manners.

Have fun getting kicked then.

In my experiance they don’t just kick you for being a dick. But if you are te slightest mistake can get you kicked. And the percentage would be way higher.

Chat is not there so you can abuse people.

• @The:

Kind of defeats the purpose of having chat in the first place. As a mature adult i can take any abuse anybody might throw at me in my stride. Why are we so sensitive on the internet? In real life if someone is being abusive or ignorant, i simply ignore them. Why do people feel the need to kick/ban people just because they dislike their tone.

If people can choose to be anything over the internet, why can’t they be courteous and helpful to their fellow man?

Seriously, that question really plagues me. Even when I’m miffed about something, I’m still relatively polite to people in-game.

The chat is not for cyber-bullying and codpiece-waving contests. There’s no reason to communicate as absolute trash over the game. It’s actually easier to be nice, or at least not be an outright tool.

• If you join a private server, you can be kicked at any time for any reason as the admin has most likely paid for that server so they can do what they want with it.

With that said, you sound like a person who either acts like a toss in game or a bit of a smart arse through chat. I love kickbanning people like you from my server as you do nothing but stir everyone up.

Sure you can have disagreements in chat, but there’s always people that take it too far.

Since I bought this game over 8 months ago, I’ve never been votekicked for merely chatting/disagreeing with people nor accidentally teamkilling. Maybe when you team kill you write in chat “lel ur fault fgt u got in mi way, scrub noob” or something. As others have suggested, play a few matches without typing anything but maybe “good fight” and see how long you play for, I bet it will be a hell of a lot longer than you’re used to.

• I’ve had people throw up vote kicks against me almost any time I’m the only rank 40+ in the server. Of the many attempts I get daily, only a couple might go through, and that’s if they call me a hacker and I don’t respond // there isn’t someone there already saying “bullshit, he’s just better than you.”

It’s all in how you carry yourself. If you get upset, or someone is instigating you to respond angrily, the players in the server are more likely to vote yes. It’s a form of social engineering to get what they want.

That being said, there are some votekicks you can’t avoid. It’s not a big deal, it’s a 5 minute temp ban. You can go back in later. It’s annoying, but if you don’t play into the shit someone else is trying to pull on you, chances are you won’t get kicked.

• There’s been times where I’ve tried to initiate a vote kick on someone but I forgot to select them properly and I end up starting a vote kick against myself. :( Haven’t been kicked by myself yet but I’ve always watched the votes and they are surprisingly scary when you find out how many people don’t even care who started the vote and how they don’t even care if you have 0% idle and team damage but there still will be 60% YES votes. :?

• @DokB:

There’s been times where I’ve tried to initiate a vote kick on someone but I forgot to select them properly and I end up starting a vote kick against myself. :( Haven’t been kicked by myself yet but I’ve always watched the votes and they are surprisingly scary when you find out how many people don’t even care who started the vote and how they don’t even care if you have 0% idle and team damage but there still will be 60% YES votes. :?

A lot of people look at who kicked who. And if they find out that they kicked themselves they vote yes.

And regarding those kicking others for “hacking” I will leap to the defence of the accused. I occasionally joke about and I’ll call someone a hacker if I know them and they are doing 20-0 on TO. Though one time I did that some other random took offence and votekicked me. Still there’s not many hackers around the place.

Often arguments happen. I’m admin and I usually try and stop them. As it usually escalates to votekicks being thrown around. Or they both start team hitting each ther and other team mates get caught up in it and it just goes to shit. I don’t takes sides so I kick both.

• @The:

So you think the purpose of having chat is to abuse people and shit talk?

The purpose of chat is to help guide the team (eg. everyone go for trebuchet 1) or to communicate with players (eg. “watch those LMB swings around team mates”, “whoever’s on the catapult aim for the ram they’re all clumped around it” etc.) even friendly taunting or chatting (“lol your head rolled down the steps”, or “me and you on the bridge!”).

• In case people didn’t understand the point of this thread… clue was in the title. It is ironic that a game called Chivalry doesn’t have any shred of honour or decency with regards to way people conduct themselves within the game, in chat or how they approach combat in general.

Calling these people out only leads to kicks and bans, very un-chilvarous and childish in my opinion. I have not known a game where i can get kicked for merely expressing opinion, as often and as virulently. Sure i can be combative and agitant with what i say, the proper response would be to let your sword do the talking. Kicking would be a last resort for the most heinous of cheaters, abusive people.

The kick system and the way this game deals with kicking and bans, devalues the game. Any other game i’ve played where cross-team communication is accepted are far more tolerant of gentle hazing or banter. In fact it goes on in real life sport all the time. Why is the Chivalry community so adverse to it?

• It sounds like you reserve the right to abuse and attack other players in chat (not very unassuming I must say), and then complain when you are kicked by kickvoting. If anything surely that is a sign that kickvoting is working as intended.

• @The:

Any other game i’ve played where cross-team communication is accepted are far more tolerant of gentle hazing or banter. In fact it goes on in real life sport all the time. Why is the Chivalry community so adverse to it?

Yes, I can’t imagine why someone would have an adverse reaction to being bullied over the chat…

Just because something is common doesn’t make it right.

Next time you get kicked, go ahead and post a screenshot of the console with the chat logs open.

• “In fact it goes on in real life sport all the time.”
    That’s why they have penalties for “Unsportsmanlike conduct” in sports.
    Because jerks who think they’re being witty while being jerks are really just jerks.
    I like to chat in game, too. A little banter is fine if it’s polite. What gets people kicked isn’t general banter but abusive or racial language.
    I’m betting the OP is one of the N-word spammers who’ve started inhabiting the public servers lately and are getting regularly booted. Funny how they all come on here to complain that everyone else is ruining their game. Now that’s irony.