The "Panic Parry" Mechanic is Bad

• @ChuckingIt:

Yeah I’m fine with removing panic parry. They added this as an attempt to appease the people who used combo feint to parry to by pass recovery, but didn’t realize that it does nothing of the sort. I vote remove panic parry, and make us bare back it. If we do a dumb attack, well then by all means hit me in the face with your sword. :D

This.

• I miss last patch.

• i don’t miss last ‘live’ version per se, there was plenty that could have been improved from it, some has and some hasn’t. I really wish that TB didn’t make as many changes all at once to basically everything in the game. As far as all the mechanics and such, they should have slightly altered one at a time and got a reaction from the players first to see what we thought of them. Not have everything changed at once so we can all argue over everything at once.

• @clayton-bigsby:

i don’t miss last ‘live’ version per se, there was plenty that could have been improved from it, some has and some hasn’t. I really wish that TB didn’t make as many changes all at once to basically everything in the game. As far as all the mechanics and such, they should have slightly altered one at a time and got a reaction from the players first to see what we thought of them. Not have everything changed at once so we can all argue over everything at once.

This. I don’t mind adapting or changing my playstyle based on the overall direction of the game. But condensing all of the many changes in one patch was basically a slap in the face to players who have played this game for so long. Don’t get me wrong, I do support TB and I still love chivalry but it would have been nice if they introduced the changes over several patches and observed how each one and each combination affected the game before finally implementing them all.

• @SHH_:

This. I don’t mind adapting or changing my playstyle based on the overall direction of the game. But condensing all of the many changes in one patch was basically a slap in the face to players who have played this game for so long. Don’t get me wrong, I do support TB and I still love chivalry but it would have been nice if they introduced the changes over several patches and observed how each one and each combination affected the game before finally implementing them all.

yep, i still love the game too and play all the time, and i’ve not had an issue adapting… but all the changes made at once and especially the mech changes and all the lockouts and such is really a slap in the face. A lot of people on here arguing against this (not everyone) had not played prior to this latest version, so they have NO idea what we’re talking about, or B.) they haven’t anything to compare it to. I’m at least looking forward to seeing how the next patch affects the game. I’m curious how much more adapting will be needed. Going to feel like michael scott getting vasectomies and then getting them reversed over and over. Snip snap snip snap snip.

• To be honest, the panic parry ruins the game for me. In a game where people already complained that feints were used to much, this mechanic completely removes good footwork from the game. Things like making an awesome duck to get the upper hand in a fight are meaningless now as the opposing player can just instantly parry after his/her miss.

Missed swings in general are not penalized anymore other than a stamina cost. Stamina cost rarely matters in a game this fast paced. By the time you get someones stamina down from them doing panic parries, their teammate has already bashed you in the back of the head. There is a severe lack of consequence right now.

Where before fights came down to footwork, feinting, and dragging, it now just comes down to feinting and dragging. It’s also just frustrating after successfully causing an opening only for it to mean absolutely nothing because of a magic “fix my mistake” button.

It hurts the game and adds nothing to it. There are no upsides.

PS: collision radius is still causing problems and needs a lot of work.

• lol @ all the people who complain about panic parry about the same benefits that CFtP gave (only better).

• @NoVaLombardia:

lol @ all the people who complain about panic parry about the same benefits that CFtP gave (only better).

Agree. Seems the only reason CFtP was not a problem is because 90% of the players didnt know about it…

• @NoVaLombardia:

lol @ all the people who complain about panic parry about the same benefits that CFtP gave (only better).

that’s exactly the point though… do you not see that it’s the point that it does the smae thing, its easier and better?’

how is that a counter argument to anything anyone has said? that IS the argument…

and speaking of this argument, it’s fucking pointless… fuck it. If everyone wants a parry counter stamina battle then so be it. I figure once the noobs are not noobs anymore and everyone just parries everything, the game will be really fun after that happens. Not realizing that the panic parry is a joke is funny to me now. I’ll just wait and see what happens and say i told you so later.

and nova, i’ve seen your playstyle, you’re the type that goes in real close to someone so that they panic parry (the real panic parry as we called it before, and then attacks while their parry is up) the recovery parry works in your playstyle because you don’t get punished for doing this, so naturally you would agree with it.

I’m pretty sick of it, but hey, there’s promod, and i played with some people tonight, and it’s way better so i’ll probably just play that and stop arguing about the live version here because it’s toally pointless.

• The point is that some people (not you) complain about panicparry but want CFtP back.

And panicparry is only better for noobs. For higher skilled player CFtP is much better since you attack while staying safe (funny how people ignore this while it was the main reason for the devs to remove it).

While I wouldnt have a problem with the removal of panicparry (as long as CFtP stays gone), its because I dont use the really slow weapons. Thats also the reason I dont vote on panicparry removal polls.

Im just not sure if a maul knight can win against a back dodging MAA without it. The MAA could just force a miss and run back in, will the knight get out of recovery before he gets hit? If not we need panicparry or have to come up with another solution since I think everyone agrees that there shouldnt be an unwinnable matchup.

• @Towe:

And panicparry is only better for noobs. For higher skilled player CFtP is much better since you attack while staying safe (funny how people ignore this while it was the main reason for the devs to remove it).

Actually, the main reason they removed it is so that you can’t have both an aggressive and defensive stance simultaneously –> causing comboing to be the only viable option, thus overpowered.

And Clayton, I did that style pre-patch as well. If i can use a fakeout that doesn’t require stamina, i’m going to attempt that first, for obvious reasons.

• @sharkh20:

To be honest, the panic parry ruins the game for me. In a game where people already complained that feints were used to much, this mechanic completely removes good footwork from the game. Things like making an awesome duck to get the upper hand in a fight are meaningless now as the opposing player can just instantly parry after his/her miss.

Missed swings in general are not penalized anymore other than a stamina cost. Stamina cost rarely matters in a game this fast paced. By the time you get someones stamina down from them doing panic parries, their teammate has already bashed you in the back of the head. There is a severe lack of consequence right now.

Where before fights came down to footwork, feinting, and dragging, it now just comes down to feinting and dragging. It’s also just frustrating after successfully causing an opening only for it to mean absolutely nothing because of a magic “fix my mistake” button.

Spot on. It is extremely frustrating to have people saved from obvious, obvious mistakes in timing and footwork by spamming the parry button. Can I still kill them? Sure, but many times this prolongs the fight long enough that their teammates can come and bail them out. And as I dislike feinting, this mechanic unfortunately puts a greater emphasis on feinting if you want to end fights at all quickly.

Also Nova, I have said it many times, am I sad that CFTP was removed? Yes. But I have absolutely no problem adapting and moving on. The addition of parry in recovery adds nothing to the game except for frustration. I don’t care about CFTP anymore, but parry in recovery is a bad mechanic.

• yes exactly! i would rather them remove BOTH from the game, if people don’t like cftp FINE, remove it, but don’t put this combo parry/recovery parry into the game, this totally takes out all punishment for mistakes now. I’d rather be able to punish people with footwork and knowing ranges. If i miss my swing or swing out of range to miss, i expect to be hit, that was my mistake. I especially hate ducking because people rarely do it, it should cause an opening because you used evasion rather than a parry, good footwork and movement are very useless now because of it. And also, the sprint lockout leaves you holding still in which case yeah, teammates come to bail you out while you’re holding still and cant even footwork your way out of those situations. Ends up you get into this parry counter battle trying to drain their stamina, and you get surrounded where there’s not really much you can do… if you feint while surrounded you lose by stamina, if you try to target switch or counter people, as you’ve noticed it’s very easy for everyone to parry now so eventually the numbers will just get you killed… that’s what fights in group are coming down to.

I see this response coming : well you should play closer to your teammates so you don’t ever get outnumbered. Sure that’s great and all but what if you’re the only one flanking? or what if you’re on defense and you need to push forward because the further you stay back and if your team gets wiped out, the more the objective will move forward, things like that often discourage from constantly staying close to teammates. Also, teammates die… and sometimes you have to fend for yourself, so please don’t bring that argument in because i’ve thought of that already.

• @NoVaLombardia:

I don’t know how much of that was directed towards me but I have always wanted CFTP out of the game as well. In fact, this patch may be the fault of all the people who wanted it out of the game. Of course, a panic parry button was not what we had in mind, but TB always seems to take the most extreme route to fixing a problem. So for the record, I want neither of these mechanics in the game, for the very same reason I wanted CFTP gone before the patch.

• You guys must have missed beta 2 and 3 for the last patch. Essentially, CFTP was removed and panic parry was not yet added. Those betas were nearly unanimously agreed to be the worst that TB has ever put out, because the entire game became pure footwork and punishment on missed swings, and 1vN become impossible.

• @RushSecond:

You guys must have missed beta 2 and 3 for the last patch. Essentially, CFTP was removed and panic parry was not yet added. Those betas were nearly unanimously agreed to be the worst that TB has ever put out, because the entire game became pure footwork and punishment on missed swings, and 1vN become impossible.

Oh shit, i forgot about how bad that beta was.

• @RushSecond:

You guys must have missed beta 2 and 3 for the last patch. Essentially, CFTP was removed and panic parry was not yet added. Those betas were nearly unanimously agreed to be the worst that TB has ever put out, because the entire game became pure footwork and punishment on missed swings, and 1vN become impossible.

CFTP was never taken out in those patches, it just costed more stamina, the same amount as panic parry (press during recovery). Those patches were awful because of other reasons, not CFTP. The collision radius was huge. You could spam parry during parry recovery at one point. The fork was too fast to even react to parry. They were unanimously thought of the worst patches because they were awful in every front. The beta patch that added panic parry was the first time they removed CFTP from the game from what I remember. I thought the best CFTP related patch was the one that just made it cost more stamina but was still doable. Problem was, everything else with the patch was absolutely broken.

• i remember those ppatches, and i remember just being able to hit trade anybody and barely ever got flinched. I grabbed a maul and went to town.

• @SHH_:

@sharkh20:

To be honest, the panic parry ruins the game for me. In a game where people already complained that feints were used to much, this mechanic completely removes good footwork from the game. Things like making an awesome duck to get the upper hand in a fight are meaningless now as the opposing player can just instantly parry after his/her miss.

Agreed. I would be fine if both were gone, as I abuse combo and feinting a bit too much, but the panic parry is just awful. It saves people from being punished for bad timing, and those of us used to queuing parry get screwed when we accidentally panic parry way ahead of time instead of delayed when we want to.

Spot on. It is extremely frustrating to have people saved from obvious, obvious mistakes in timing and footwork by spamming the parry button. Can I still kill them? Sure, but many times this prolongs the fight long enough that their teammates can come and bail them out. And as I dislike feinting, this mechanic unfortunately puts a greater emphasis on feinting if you want to end fights at all quickly.

Also Nova, I have said it many times, am I sad that CFTP was removed? Yes. But I have absolutely no problem adapting and moving on. The addition of parry in recovery adds nothing to the game except for frustration. I don’t care about CFTP anymore, but parry in recovery is a bad mechanic.

• I remember the time where I used to be able to hit people after they missed a swing. Dawww, not anymore.