Kicks

• Credentials:
    6500 Total Duels.
    Roughly 60% W/L ratio.
    Rank 38 as of this present moment.

Kick is currently way too strong for dealing with shield users. Lower level users are unaware of the stronger kick mostly (thank goodness for that!) but among higher level users, it’s virulent and quite frankly game-breaking.

Suggestion:

If you attack a player while they are kicking, the following happens:

A. If you’re using a sharp weapon then their leg gets cut off. End of duel.
    B. If you’re using a blunt weapon then their leg gets broken, forcing them to crouch for the rest of the duel.

Of course you would have to hit trade for this to happen and aim at the legs as you attack.

This would make little difference to the quick daze kick as it’s far too fast for anything like this to happen but for the hefty shield stunning kick then it would create risk for using it. The reward of course for using it is a potential 1 hit kill with Maul headshot because of the immense length of the stun.

Thanks for reading.

• Rather; you would have a magic board that can’t be beaten unless you make a mistake. I wonder what would happen to your w/l if you stopped hiding behind that magically unbreakable chunk of wood? [/scathing sarcastic rebuke]

So to avoid overpowering shields, which are already overpowered, kicks should remain unchanged; if anything they could use a speed boost, since I feel like it takes longer to kick than it does to overhead with a two hander. Not to mention, if someone is on the offensive against your shield, and you actually get hit by a kick… you’re doing it wrong. This game seems to think a kick requires a 100% stop in motion, a laughable concept by its own right, thus if you’re being pressed and you’re backpedaling, you shouldn’t be able to get hit by a kick. It may be worth it to invest in agility strategies, instead; especially if you play as a knight. No one ever expects a knight to know how to juggle opponents with anything other than turtle techniques. When you start juggling with techniques more akin to vanguard, you can cause your opponent to mess up fairly easily.

As someone who doesn’t use shields, I find it funny (almost sad) when people try to kick me. It usually ends up in a boost to my k/d, and a nice ego stroking.

• I think kicks are great the way they are.
    The slow one is REALLY slow and not that easy to pull of against good shieldusers.

But the reason I love the mechanic is this:
    You take the shield cause you cant time your parry.
    You start just holding your shield up until it gets hit and you can strike back.
    You are getting kicked.
    You realize you have to time your shield too.
    You learn to only raise your shield when you see an attack coming.

Its a really nice learning process for new players without the need to learn it in a tutorial.

• Kicks are fine the way they are. Shields already give you almost complete protection from archers and other classes using throwables, even when the shield is on your back. Kick is the one thing that never fails to get past a shield. Even then, if one times shield blocks correctly, you’ll never get caught with your shield up and a foot in your face.

• @Towe:

I think kicks are great the way they are.
    The slow one is REALLY slow and not that easy to pull of against good shieldusers.

But the reason I love the mechanic is this:
    You take the shield cause you cant time your parry.
    You start just holding your shield up until it gets hit and you can strike back.
    You are getting kicked.
    You realize you have to time your shield too.
    You learn to only raise your shield when you see an attack coming.

Its a really nice learning process for new players without the need to learn it in a tutorial.

That’s well summed up Towe, this should be stickied somewhere at the beginning of any relevant thread.
    Just so that everyone is on the same page.

So once you’re more proficient at the game you take the shield largely because you want to be able to block projectiles, because you like shields, or because you like the weapons that they go with….or because you want shield punch.