They kicked the king

• So last night I was on a server playing TO-Stoneshill, and during the last objective someone started a kick vote against the king, with the claim the the king was cheating. While I didn’t think the king was cheating, I must admit I voted yes because I have always been curious as to what would happen if the king was votekicked. Would it be like when the king leaves server, that the role is assigned to the next player, or would it be like if he was killed?

Turns out it was the latter. With around 2 mins left of the round and no way the Mason team could have actually killed the king in regular play, the Masons won the round (with the help of the Agatha players that voted yes, because more than 70% did that).

I was a bit surprised that this was the result. Wouldn’t it be more sensible to treat a votekicked king like a king voluntarily leaving server? I see some very bad exploitation possibilites with this current setup.

• I think the same thing happens when the king does leave the server voluntarily. On the one hand agatha shouldn’t lose if someone gets DC or wants to leave while they are king, that ruins the experience for everyone just because of one person, just like when someone TKs the king on purpose. but should the second in command start with the health the king had when he left , or become a new king with full health like it is now. On the other hand whats stopping the king from leaving right before he dies and cheaply prolonging the game? I wonder how that would be handled in a comp setting, i dont think there are rules addressing it.

• I’ve seen it happen. We did it by mistake once. This guy who ended up being king was a giant douche nozzle anyway, so no regret. We vote kicked him BEFORE he got king even and the vote rolled over to when the objective did. He became king and was kicked straight away…

The most random thing ever. It was pretty hilarious. Needs to be fixed for sure. I see people vote kicking the king in near EVERY official TO server I go in now. Gross.

• This was addressed a long time ago and made it so that whoever got votekicked as king, the next highest score in line became king instantly, even if king was already chosen. So there was no way to “win the game” by votekicking the king. I guess they broke this again in some patch.

• Don’t bloody vote yes to kick the king.

• @SOC:

This was addressed a long time ago and made it so that whoever got votekicked as king, the next highest score in line became king instantly, even if king was already chosen. So there was no way to “win the game” by votekicking the king. I guess they broke this again in some patch.

You are correct. I shall test this once I get home!

• @lemonater47:

Don’t bloody vote yes to kick the king.

Thats why I dont think the votekick is a problem.

Disconnects on the other hand…
    Well in case the king should get replaced I fell the new king should be instantly teleported to the old kings locatoin to avoid abuse (same health of course).

• @SOC:

This was addressed a long time ago and made it so that whoever got votekicked as king, the next highest score in line became king instantly, even if king was already chosen. So there was no way to “win the game” by votekicking the king. I guess they broke this again in some patch.

I see. I wondered about that since I have seen people voluntarily leaving server and the king role being assigned to another player, and thought it strange that it hadn’t been applied to votekicking as well. But unfortunately it makes all too much sense that one of the recent patches has broken this again (as it is some time ago that I saw the king reassignation).

I guess I should have posted this in the bugs section then.

• We once had it where the King disconnected right as he was assigned it and I don’t know what happened but we were left without a King to kill so the timer eventually ran out and Agatha won. It didn’t assign anyone next as King but we just had to play for about 10 minutes with no actual objective as Masons. :?

• @SOC:

[…] I guess they broke this again in some patch.

Torn Banner are the most skilled I’ve ever seen at doing that! It’s quite amazing.

• @Daiyuki:

@SOC:

[…] I guess they broke this again in some patch.

Torn Banner are the most skilled I’ve ever seen at doing that! It’s quite amazing.

It happens with all games.

As generally you don’t test what was fine before.

• @DokB:

We once had it where the King disconnected right as he was assigned it and I don’t know what happened but we were left without a King to kill so the timer eventually ran out and Agatha won. It didn’t assign anyone next as King but we just had to play for about 10 minutes with no actual objective as Masons. :?

Yes, I’ve tried that as well (I posted about it in the bugs section iirc).

• I think it would make sense if a random player was assigned as the new king the next time they respawn. Sure some would complain “I NEVER ASKED FOR THIS” but uh, it doesn’t really matter since it’s just one match.

But if it does matter that much, they could use the player scores to somehow calculate who would fit the position best.

• The potential issue of this is if the king is borderline dead, they could disconnect and kingyship goes to the next highest player, likely on a better state of health. Previous king could then just rejoin the server.

To be honest since the king is highest scoring player, it unusual to see them actually be on the receiving end of a kick vote