Recovery Parry

• ~~I’ve played a good 200 hours on this patch and it has slowly grown on me. I like the 200ms no-feint window, it makes feints reactable to - you don’t have to guess or predict anymore. I like the weapon balance for the most part.

What I hate is RECOVERY PARRY.

Combo-feint-parry was removed and replaced with recov parry. Now, anyone who knows how to mash rmb gets an instant, low-stamina, get-out-of-punishment parry when they miss a swing.

Did you know you can even queue up recov parries in release? You don’t even need good timing to do it. Many completely inept players parry my punishment attacks totally on accident with a blind mid-swing panic parry. It’s too easy to pull off, too fast - faster than combo-feint-parry ever was.

I’m asking for a change to make it take good timing:
    Torn Banner, please consider disabling the queuing of recovery parries while in release.

Make it so that a player is only able to activate a recovery parry if they press parry while in the actual recovery. This change would make it require good timing and knowledge of your weapon release time to pull off a recovery parry immediately after release.

I don’t think recovery parry is a bad idea. It adds a choice to the game: “Should I combo or should I swing only once to have a recovery parry ready?” But I think that in it’s current implementation it requires too little intent to execute.~~

I didn’t do my research first. Chrisomatic says it better anyway: http://www.chivalrythegame.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=84&t=15948

• @TobiwanK3nobi:

Did you know you can even queue up recov parries in release?

This is called combo-parry, and it costs 10 stamina to perform, instead of 25. This parry is able to be riposted off of, unlike recovery parry.

There have been a lot of people mixing the two parries up. Please stop doing it.

(I feel like people don’t read patch notes either).

• @NoVaLombardia:

This is called combo-parry, and it costs 10 stamina to perform, instead of 25. This parry is able to be riposted off of, unlike recovery parry.

There have been a lot of people mixing the two parries up. Please stop doing it.

@CrustaceanSoup:

Reduced stamina cost of combo feint, recovery parry and combo parry by 5 each.

• @NoVaLombardia:

@TobiwanK3nobi:

Did you know you can even queue up recov parries in release?

Ah so it’s a separate move. I skim the patch notes because I hate reading badly formatted walls of text.

Seemed like the same move to me in testing since it takes the same stam as recovery parry when you add in the -15 from a 2H missed attack.

Either way, it’s not being used in the skillful manner TBS intended. It’s just a freebie way for the inept to spam off a parry during a release.

• @TobiwanK3nobi:

Seemed like the same move to me in testing since it takes the same stam as recovery parry when you add in the -15 from a 2H missed attack.

You could also do a panic parry after you missed for a total of 15+25=40 stam…

But I somewhat agree (queuing parry while in realese feels worng), since I dont know why comboparry is even in there. While I dont have a big problem with it, can someone enlighten me whats the thoughtprocess behind it?

• @Towe:

But I somewhat agree (queuing parry while in realese feels worng), since I dont know why comboparry is even in there. While I dont have a big problem with it, can someone enlighten me whats the thoughtprocess behind it?

So, just like how you combo, by pressing attacking during release (which queues up a combo-attack), why not be able to parry in the same way, by pressing parry in release (which queues up a combo-parry)?

Combo-parry is to replicate what CFtP used to be. The difference is that it has a big weakness of late deadzone. So unless you KNOW they’re going to hit you that early, you don’t want to do it.
    You can know this by foresight, or by reacting to an earlier attack.

The other useful thing about combo-parry is the ability to stop yourself from taking damage during a hit trade (which you could do with old CFTP as well).

Combo-parry is more often seen against better than average players in 1vX situations.

• Recovery parry is useful in group situations. Provided you manage your stamina. I UDK lots and while I’m ducking I usually regain a bit of stamina if I’m not winding up for an attack.

Some people do begin to realise that I’m the prick that keeps ducking their attack. So they do a lookdown LMB. And I suck Into it and a swing that would of hit my legs hits my head. It looks like I now before them to get my head taken off. Jumping works too.

Anyway that’s how I manage my stamina. By doing that that doesn’t use or interrupt my stamina regen. Doing the matrix is also more effective than ducking. As often after the enemy swings he just stands there going “what the fuck did I just witness”. Then their timing is all out and they get killed easily.

Personally I don’t mind if parry in recovery goes or stays. Nothing will be enough to replace combo feint to parry for most people. I aboard the old way tons. You can still do it but it has a 0.4 delay so you have to do it really early against a maul or something.

• @NoVaLombardia:

Combo-parry is to replicate what CFtP used to be. The difference is that it has a big weakness of late deadzone. So unless you KNOW they’re going to hit you that early, you don’t want to do it.
    You can know this by foresight, or by reacting to an earlier attack.

The other useful thing about combo-parry is the ability to stop yourself from taking damage during a hit trade (which you could do with old CFTP as well).

Combo-parry is more often seen against better than average players in 1vX situations.

So comboparry is faster than panicparry? (Thought the parrytime was always the same, so starting your panicparry the instant you enter recovery would be as fast, the only difference then would be that it costs more stam (apart from deadzone)) If thats the case I can see why people want it, if not I think its stupid that its cheaper to queue it up than doing it the moment you actually want to parry.

It just made little sense to me that you would use up less stam when pressing parry during release than when waiting till youre in recovery, but if the deadzone makes up for that I can live with it.

The reason I agreed with toby was that it made little sense giving noobs the ability to queue up a parry ‘just in case’, since it would probably hinder them to learn to parry only when needed…

• @Towe:

So comboparry is faster than panicparry? (Thought the parrytime was always the same, so starting your panicparry the instant you enter recovery would be as fast, the only difference then would be that it costs more stam (apart from deadzone))

The parry time IS the same. The thing is though that a combo-parry will always happen at the same moment. Therefore the deadzone is constant – the deadzone being the end of the parry.

With a panic parry, there is no “deadzone”. But the major weakness of it is the massive stamina drain, and the part where the enemy can get close to you before you can swing again (which in turn allows them to get in a better position to attack around your block, like normal).