How do you use the halberd?

• I just can’t get the hang of it since its nerfs. I don’t know what it’s good for. I feel like a completely gimped greatsword when I try to use it for “all roundedness,” I feel like a gimped spear when I try to use it for “team support,” and I feel like it’s just a worse version of the bardiche. Honestly I’ve always felt that the greatsword, and now pole hammer, can do everything halberd can but better since its nerfs. What’s its purpose now? Why hasn’t it been re-buffed to make it not so bad? Am I just using it wrong? I can’t figure its purpose out. I want to love the halberd but I just can’t.

• I don’t use it much, but I can do well with it. It’s basically a spear that can combo, and if you use it like that by chaining slashes and overheads in with stabs, it can be an effective weapon. Usually if you miss and combo into a stab, you can trick them into charging straight into it. Especially if you have good footwork. It’s slow and good to drag, and it has good damage potential. I’m not a huge fan of it, but when you play to it’s strengths it can perform pretty well.

• Its the longest comboable weapon you can get. In addition to this its high damage output (compared to spears), knockback and stamina drain make it a scary frontline support weapon.

The Greatsword is weaker in frontline support as it is shorter and has a weaker stabbing attack. In less crowded situations or duels its superior due to its speed and its higher efficiency against Archers.

Spears are slightly longer and faster than the Helberd put sacrifice the ability to combo and thus damage output (the Brandistocks overhead is comparable but slower).

The Bardiche lacks the strong stabbing attack and its advantages - higher damage to lightly armored enemies and its powerful slash attack - mean little in frontline fights as you usually fight heavy classes with no room for sweeping attacks.

The Polehammer? Its shorter, a little bit slower and got a weaker stab. In exchange it got very high damaging strikes. Other than this both weapons work similar. Its a tradeoff reach versus damage.

• It’s a huge high-damage weapon, what do you think you do with it?

Abuse lookdown overheads.

• @Evil:

Its the longest comboable weapon you can get. In addition to this its high damage output (compared to spears), knockback and stamina drain make it a scary frontline support weapon.

The Greatsword is weaker in frontline support as it is shorter and has a weaker stabbing attack. In less crowded situations or duels its superior due to its speed and its higher efficiency against Archers.

Spears are slightly longer and faster than the Helberd put sacrifice the ability to combo and thus damage output (the Brandistocks overhead is comparable but slower).

The Bardiche lacks the strong stabbing attack and its advantages - higher damage to lightly armored enemies and its powerful slash attack - mean little in frontline fights as you usually fight heavy classes with no room for sweeping attacks.

The Polehammer? Its shorter, a little bit slower and got a weaker stab. In exchange it got very high damaging strikes. Other than this both weapons work similar. Its a tradeoff reach versus damage.

Couldn’t be said better imo.

• I use or the exact same. The stab was only nerfed by 0.05 seconds. Its still a completely viable tactic to stab everything.

They did make it so you could LMB stab to kill a vanguard. That would require an extra ht or one of those two attacks to be a headshot.

• Using Polehammer,brandistock and spear instead

• Halberd has always been good, even after it got reworked from its OP status. Only now the Brandistock/Spear have taken that title now and the Polehammer and even the Bardiche can perform better than the Halberd because of the potential 1 hit to kill some classes so I guess that is why it doesn’t seem to shine as much any more when you put it against these other weapons. Halberd might come back in the new patch, as in, everything else will be more balanced about the Vanguard’s weapons so you might see it more. Just continue to do what you did before, stab lots and keep to the slash as the overhead is quite underwhelming.

Alt overheads however catch people off guard all the time I’ve found on the Hally.

• Its pretty good at the moment. Jump over heads get over the guard sometimes. But the good thing is it’s fast and long so its easy to drain someones stamina. If they get their parrys wrong or got confused a little they are in a world of hurt. Its easy to attack from different directions and land hits because its so long and relatively fast.

• @giantyak:

But the good thing is it’s fast and long so its easy to drain someones stamina

It ain’t fast, guy.

It’s catch is having one extremely good trait while being either decent or bad at other traits, like a maul for example. The one extremely good trait is being the longest weapon capable of comboing with a stab with reach just shorter than a spear! This makes it extremely powerful in team play because it can play the role of both a sword and a spear meaning it can be either a very good suport weapon or a powerful front line of defence or offense because of the spee of the vangaurd and the raw reach of the weapon lets it target switch in team play like a dream. It’s definately my second favorite vanguard weapon because of this(next to the zwei because of it’s badassness) and I think it’s extremely underrated right now due to the claymore being OP because of the 2 hander flinch time and the greatsword being sooo fast for its length.

• @SOC:

I just can’t get the hang of it since its nerfs. I don’t know what it’s good for. I feel like a completely gimped greatsword when I try to use it for “all roundedness,” I feel like a gimped spear when I try to use it for “team support,” and I feel like it’s just a worse version of the bardiche. Honestly I’ve always felt that the greatsword, and now pole hammer, can do everything halberd can but better since its nerfs. What’s its purpose now? Why hasn’t it been re-buffed to make it not so bad? Am I just using it wrong? I can’t figure its purpose out. I want to love the halberd but I just can’t.

Better knockback than greatsword, can be used like a spear but also combo. Better range than polehammer or greatsword, I really dont see the problem.

Seems to me you want a one trick pony, and dont like the halberd because it can do lots of things but is trumped in every field by a spezialised weapon.

• @Jstorm:

@giantyak:

It ain’t fast, guy.

It’s catch is having one extremely good trait while being either decent or bad at other traits, like a maul for example. The one extremely good trait is being the longest weapon capable of comboing with a stab with reach just shorter than a spear! This makes it extremely powerful in team play because it can play the role of both a sword and a spear meaning it can be either a very good suport weapon or a powerful front line of defence or offense because of the spee of the vangaurd and the raw reach of the weapon lets it target switch in team play like a dream. It’s definately my second favorite vanguard weapon because of this(next to the zwei because of it’s badassness) and I think it’s extremely underrated right now due to the claymore being OP because of the 2 hander flinch time and the greatsword being sooo fast for its length.

@giantyak:

Its pretty good at the moment. Jump over heads get over the guard sometimes. But the good thing is it’s fast and long so its easy to drain someones stamina. If they get their parrys wrong or got confused a little they are in a world of hurt. Its easy to attack from different directions and land hits because its so long and relatively fast.

It is “relatively fast” wordsmith…. :? Learn to read.

• @Towe:

Better knockback than greatsword, can be used like a spear but also combo. Better range than polehammer or greatsword, I really dont see the problem.

Seems to me you want a one trick pony, and dont like the halberd because it can do lots of things but is trumped in every field by a spezialised weapon.

You’re right, that’s why I’m here asking for more opinions about it so I can learn to utilize it better. Personally I don’t feel it has better range than the great sword at all, but that’s just how it feels to me. But I feel like the great sword can do everything halberd can do but better, I feel like it’s much better at supporting with its stab than the halberd stab, because the greatsword is faster and can combo much better than the halberd… but that’s just my opinion. I think people are right when they say it’s just a comboing spear, but I still feel like the greatsword and spear weapons are better at the halberd’s job… I don’t know. I’m probably just using it wrong.

• @giantyak:

@Jstorm:

@giantyak:

It ain’t fast, guy.

@giantyak:

Its pretty good at the moment. Jump over heads get over the guard sometimes. But the good thing is it’s fast and long so its easy to drain someones stamina. If they get their parrys wrong or got confused a little they are in a world of hurt. Its easy to attack from different directions and land hits because its so long and relatively fast.

It is “relatively fast” wordsmith…. :? Learn to read.

Before you go off of your personal beliefs take a look at the actual speed stats. You will see the halberd OH and slash have .6 windups, .75 combos and .6 releases. and the stab having a .75 windup, which is slower than a maul’s OH windup. The weapon’s actually slower than the poleaxe.

• @SOC:

You’re right, that’s why I’m here asking for more opinions about it so I can learn to utilize it better.

Use it like a brandistock that can combo. The stab is 0.05 faster, and the release is 0.05 faster.

Almost the same range, not AS draggable, but still draggable.

Almost always best to initiate with its stab.

• @NoVaLombardia:

@SOC:

You’re right, that’s why I’m here asking for more opinions about it so I can learn to utilize it better.

Use it like a brandistock that can combo. The stab is 0.05 faster, and the release is 0.05 faster.

Yeah, that’s a good way to put it. It’s basically a spear-sword hybrid. So, use it like a spear when you need to and use it like a sword when you need to. Hack when you need to hack and poke when you need to poke.

• Alt overhead look down ass in his face.

specifically.

• @Hulking_Brute:

Alt overhead look down ass in his face.

specifically.

It’s a halberd. Alt OHs come from below and alt swings are slower now.

• @NoVaLombardia:

@SOC:

Mmm I’ll keep trying to. I loved old brandistock and finished many enemies off with an overhead then catch them by surprise with a follow up left click to the head, but with the halberd I feel so vulnerable with my combos especially without combo feint to parry. I’ll keep trying to think of it more like a spear and less like a great sword, that’s probably my biggest issue with it.

• Seeing as the pole arm alt overheads come from below, would this mean its subject to weapon bouncing off the ground and putting you into that recovery state?