Feinting post-patch

• Personally I think the new stamina-focused gameplay makes long fights impossible anyway, so I don’t know if feinting still has a place in its current form.

• Reading feints is too easy now and not worth it most of the time because you will lose to stamina.

• @CRUSHED:

Reading feints is too easy now and not worth it most of the time because you will lose to stamina.

Too easy huh? Even a broadsword stab or bearded axe overhead? You must have a good connection or great reflexes.

• The only problem with feints I have is combo feints when used offensively like this scenario;
    Hit -> Combo -> Feint the Combo attack -> Attack
    All the defender can do is guess, he cannot move as he’s in hitstun and cannot interrupt the attack unless in very specific scenarios with the weapon speed differences are at the opposite ends of the spectrum.
    Even then the most you get out of it is a hit trade which isn’t advantageous as you’ve already been hit once.

I’d like feints to be returned to the last patch and just add the ability to kick in hitstun/parry recovery.
    It would still be totally possible to use combo feinting/regular feinting offensively but you’d have to be more strategic and aware of the distance in which they can be kicked.
    This would also mitigate the effectiveness of 1h feints which I believe is a good thing as they are always going to be impossible to react to unless you simply guess right.

• @CRUSHED:

Reading feints is too easy

What hardcore performance-enhancing drugs have you been taking?

• @FALCONPUNCH!:

@CRUSHED:

Reading feints is too easy now and not worth it most of the time because you will lose to stamina.

Too easy huh? Even a broadsword stab or bearded axe overhead? You must have a good connection or great reflexes.

Regardless of the weapon, there is a .2 second no feint window. This makes it as easy to read a late feint from those weapons as any other weapon provided they have an attack that connects immediately upon release.

• I think it depends on the weapon. The fastest weapons are usually too risky to actually try to ‘read’, you’ll just get hit if you wait for the real swing. But with the slower weapons it seems more balanced, there’s a much fairer chance of reading the feints.

Faster weapons’ feints need to be less effective in my opinion. They are already fast, they don’t really need the extra help of feints.

• I don’t think feints themselves need changing. I think weapon speeds with feints and the current state of stamina needs changing. Some weapons are so fast that depending on what class/weapon you’re feinting against, you’re at an extremely little risk for your feint. I don’t think that’s okay, but I don’t think that’s feint’s fault. I think it’s weapon speed.

That being said, combo feint to parry made the game way more balanced than it is now.

• @SOC:

Some weapons are so fast that depending on what class/weapon you’re feinting against, you’re at an extremely little risk for your feint.

@NabsterHax:

Regardless of the weapon, there is a .2 second no feint window.

• One thing which is a little tricky is a:
    Claymore swing->feint as late as possible->stab

Quite effective especially when its used every other attack and without fail.

• @Goden:

@CRUSHED:

Reading feints is too easy

What hardcore performance-enhancing drugs have you been taking?

I love when someone actually good says something true, then people get jealous and say he’s talking bullshit. Chivalry: Medieval Warfare Community > any comedy T.V. show.

• Why do all options seem to imply feint should only stay the same or get nerfed more?

• @NabsterHax:

Why do all options seem to imply feint should only stay the same or get nerfed more?

I noticed this too. Obviously the maker of this thread is anti-feint or I’m just paranoid.

• @NabsterHax:

Why do all options seem to imply feint should only stay the same or get nerfed more?

Because I am a close-minded sophist, that’s why.

I edited this poll to include a “buff or revert to pre-patch” option before I went to go get icecream and now all of the votes have been reset.

Anyway a buffed feint is what you guys have your stupid promod for.

• Somene here in the forums had the nice idea that each faint reduces the damage done by the following attack. I think that’s a really good idea. Faint-spam would be not as effective anymore and no more stupid zweihander-faint-lookdown-overhead instakills. And it’s even more realistic, since you can’t put all your force into the hit anymore.

• I think they should make it easier to hold windup by pulling away from the swing. eg if its an overhead look up.

This would enable people to better accelerate or decelerate attacks to try and get around the parry window time duration.

As it is only the slowest weapons have some degree of chance to be able to slow an attack enough to be able to have the parry window pass.

Once this was fine tuned and achieved then current feint mechanic could be abolished as what you achieve by slowing down or speeding up an attack is a feint.

• @FALCONPUNCH!:

I can actually read broadsword stab feints consistently because of the new feint window + new stab animation.

I was fine with the feints pre patch, i guess you feint hater crybabies never get their feints nerfed enough.

It was one of those things that made the difference between a top duelist and a very good duelist

seriously most of these feint haters fall for the WORST feints possible, its not even a feint more of a twitch and they parry like mad, i love it lol

• I actually don’t find feints that horrible because I play MAA now and try to evade rather than block attacks, mostly because of feints. But I have killed a lot of players that I consider better than myself with fast weapon feints and it feels cheesy when I do because the payoff is huge, and the effort it takes to successfully execute a feint far from equates the effort necessary to read the attack. I see rank 40+ clanned players still fall for it at close quarters, especially during a combo or in the heat of battle (game balance shouldn’t revolve around 1 v 1 duels). Besides guessing, there’s no real way to punish someone for feinting either when they have first attack advantage. But I am not a top duelist so I will give you some time to dust the cheetoes off your hands and respond before I make a bigger ass of myself.

I think they should make it easier to hold windup by pulling away from the swing. eg if its an overhead look up.

This would enable people to better accelerate or decelerate attacks to try and get around the parry window time duration.

As it is only the slowest weapons have some degree of chance to be able to slow an attack enough to be able to have the parry window pass.

Once this was fine tuned and achieved then current feint mechanic could be abolished as what you achieve by slowing down or speeding up an attack is a feint.

This is a great idea.

• Feints are (more) readable right now but you need to stay cool and react in time. Pulling off a successful feint also needs more work than before as mindless feinting won’t work anymore.

Its much better than before. But: Feinting out of a combo does prevent you from parrying while still letting you attack. Thats just inconsistent and thats why voted for minor tweaks (tweaks to feint alnog with tweaks to combo/panic parry - the CFTP issue).

@CRUSHED: A really good player should be able to read feints consistently (with a minor error rate). Otherwise the only counter to feints would be pure luck. Feinting should be as hard as reading feints and thats the case right now (as far as I can see). And reading feints should not be reserved for top players.

Yes there are those anti-feint-scrubs calling feinting a “lame” tactic and refuse to learn how to counter it. They will try to get feints removed or nerfed to uselessness no matter what. Just like every other anti-<put a="" random="" feature="" here="">-scrubs.</put>

• @Evil:

Otherwise the only counter to feints would be pure luck.

not this shit again