Will the handle tracers of the bardiche ever be removed?

• To prevent their instant overheads when someone gets close enough? Has this been acknowledged by the devs at all?

• I remember that it got acknowledged a while back but I think more steps were taken towards reducing the effectiveness of lookdown overheads rather than where weapon tracers started on pole arms.

I’m probably wrong though.

• Well they did change it to cap the mouse speed when you do overheads in the same way that it’s done for horizontal swings, but unfortunately doesn’t help with the insta-overheads as a result of the handle tracers on the bardiche :(.

• It’s possible that they also thought that introducing the bubble would fix it, however I don’t think it has.

• I do believe that the only adequate way to deal with this kind of problems is to increase realism on strikes like:

• less damage in the very beginning and end
    • less damage when hitting people with the handle

This sounds easy but it requires major rebalancing of the weapons. A thing that gets harder and harder the more “game solutions” like the collision bubble get introduced. These might be easier to implement and easier to run (adding additional hitboxes for each single strike in the game does need more resources) but ultimately they don’t get the job done in a satisfactorily way and make the implementation of satifying solutions both harder and more unlikely.

The bubble does not work. It does prevent hitting moving enemies from behind with shorter weapons and makes bodyblocking enemies much easier. It does not prevent lookdown overheads from being effective. Its like buying a bicycle if you need a car and adding more “game solutions” is just like upgrading it until you spent just as much money as you would have spent for a car. But your vehicle is slower and does look ugly.

• @Evil:

I do believe that the only adequate way to deal with this kind of problems is to increase realism on strikes like:

This sounds easy but it requires major rebalancing of the weapons. A thing that gets harder and harder the more “game solutions” like the collision bubble get introduced. These might be easier to implement and easier to run (adding additional hitboxes for each single strike in the game does need more resources) but ultimately they don’t get the job done in a satisfactorily way and make the implementation of satifying solutions both harder and more unlikely.

The bubble does not work. It does prevent hitting moving enemies from behind with shorter weapons and makes bodyblocking enemies much easier. It does not prevent lookdown overheads from being effective. Its like buying a bicycle if you need a car and adding more “game solutions” is just like upgrading it until you spent just as much money as you would have spent for a car. But your vehicle is slower and does look ugly.

Ding ding ding!

• @Evil:

I do believe that the only adequate way to deal with this kind of problems is to increase realism on strikes like:

This would also make it so dragging often does less damage, which is something I don’t mind. I see a lot of guys swing, see a parry coming, and then adjust their swings to late hits by looking away. Or swing, see me waiting, and lean into it (would still hurt normally with what you’re saying). It’s very difficult to parry a dragger because they can just go around your parries… and I do it all the time as well.

• Bardiche handle tracers have been removed since a patch or so….

• @Falc:

Bardiche handle tracers have been removed since a patch or so….

If that were the case, it didn’t seem to help any.

[youtubehd:pqbabwkl]4naCpDmWCr0[/youtubehd:pqbabwkl]

• well this is an example of crouching and staring at the ground in advance of using an overhead, is this outcome peculiar to the bardiche ? In other words could the same relatively accelerated attack occur with the greatsword (same overhead attack speed I believe), or even slower weapons. If so then it is not the bardiche per se but the crouching, staring at the ground overhead manoeuvre which is the issue, and in my opinion not one of Chivalry’s most inspiring displays of skill orientated play.

• @Yewthan:

well this is an example of crouching and staring at the ground in advance of using an overhead, is this outcome peculiar to the bardiche ? In other words could the same relatively accelerated attack occur with the greatsword (same overhead attack speed I believe), or even slower weapons. If so then it is not the bardiche per se but the crouching, staring at the ground overhead manoeuvre which is the issue, and in my opinion not one of Chivalry’s most inspiring displays of skill orientated play.

It happens with all polearms. The handles have tracers and so the weapon hits instantly. You can see that the damage happens before the weapon is even vertical. You can hit people with the handle of all other weapons too, like a greatsword, but because your character holds the weapon at the very end it’s much less noticeable.

• for the benefit of perspective, does the bardiche ‘hit instantly’ from a normal starting position, or from close range when not using aforesaid methods of accelerating attacks ? The video does not clarify whether these issues are unique to the bardiche or polearms in general or rather whether the same applies to other weapons and related issue with tracers. It is clear to me that the bardiche should not attack so quickly, even if positioned as such, but I would expect similar problems when using other weapons. Assuming then there are design issues a few comparison videos with the greatsword and perhaps other examples would help to illustrate the nature of these problems. Furthermore, how to accurately address these particularly issues without inadvertently limiting a solution to a specific weapon whilst overlooking related factors such as in-game methods that produce these instant-like attacks.

• The only way to do an instead hit with a bardiche is if you are looking down. The problem is the design of the weapon. The business end is quite far away from the handle. Its bit in line with the handle. So the tracers are further forward than that of a sword.it hits earlier. And the tracers probably start at that shape but but don’t go back to the handle as it goes down the weapons. That’s what it feels like. I need to check the tracers in slow motion.

The console command aoc_slomo 0.3 is good for that.