Glitches that need urgent attention

• Before I come off as a twat, I would like to say that I adore chivalry. It is currently my favorite game and I enjoy it immensely. I understand that for having a 15-person studio, you have much work to do, and not a great abundance of time for all of these tasks. I’ll just be listing the major annoying bugs that I can think of that should be fixed immediately.

• Veteran helmets can’t equip in game. In the main-menu, I can go to helmet customization and see all of my veteran helmets and switch them between “Default” or “Veteran Helmet”. I have unlocked the veteran helmets for every class, and I would enjoy wearing them but, to my dismay, I cannot. Sure, I can equip them in the main menu, in my own private game with bots, or few servers (generally official servers) but once I join a game after having them equipped, I won’t have them on. I go to Configuration: Helmet Customization: and they’re all set to default automatically. I can press the arrows to try and navigate to switch them, but I will just keep clicking and it won’t change from default. This is an extreme annoyance because I was anticipating unlocking these, and once I did, I couldn’t even wear them in game.

• Chat glitch in duels. This one has been quite the bugger lately. A bit less of a problem, but every time I type a message, if a new duel starts, a duel ends, or anything but just standing there in the duel, my message can’t be further edited. I can press enter, but I can never finish it. This doesn’t bother me near as much as not being able to equip different helmets, but it’s still quite annoying. I can pretty much only type when I am spectating and out of the pool, or standing in a current duel.

• Weapon statistic errors. Certain weapons such as the staff come to mind, will say 0% range. This is not accurate, and I certainly think the weapon statistics should be updated to actually fit the damage, speed, and reach of the weapon.

• Menial bugs such as going to change sound and seeing “Persistant?Map/Music” or whatever, pressing z or x and the menu being automatically flipped from one button press, and some combat glitches that I will get to.

• The final things that I think should be fixed very fast, and probably the most important ones even though they’re the last on my list, are a few combat glitches.

Shields: Sometimes I hit straight through a shield. I’ll be using a zweihander and somehow injure my opponent by stabbing the center of their buckler, heater, kite, tower, etc. even though their block is up. Also, the shields block way too much. I’ll be alt-swinging around their right side of the shield and somehow it will block it. My weapon should be making contact with their shoulder or arm, but it still hits the shield.

Voice glitches: This is quite the minimal problem, but it still annoys me. Say I’m laughing and jump out of a window, the laugh will immediately cancel as a start falling and then my character’s cancelled laugh will be overridden with something like “WHAAAAAAAAAAAAOOO” (which is the sound of them falling and screaming before their ankles break) I would suggest allowing the currently selected communication sentence or sound to be able to finish before breaking out into a weird scream. Also, sometimes my character’s voice will just randomly cut out. For example, I’ll just be walking around as a Man-At-Arms and taunting. Something like “Your brain is as dry as a biscuit after a lo-” and it will just stop. I don’t really know what else to say about the voices other than the voice actors did a great job and being able to select dialogue in game is a great feature. I constantly yell random stuff out while fighting such as “No m’lord”, “Help!”, and “I do believe that was regrettable”. It’s very entertaining.

Misc. combat annoyances: The logic of blocking in this game somewhat confuses me, you can hold up a huge heavy shield without it taking up any amount of stamina for an infinite amount of time, however you can’t hold up a mace or any other weapon without it being a split-second long and draining 1/8 of your stamina. This isn’t necessarily a glitch, it’s just kind of odd. If you can hold shields up forever, you should probably be able to block with swords and stuff for more than a quarter of a second. Changing that would probably make blocking a lot easier and hits would probably be much more difficult to land, but meh. Kicking is also quite messed up, my foot will seriously go straight through someone’s groin, and it won’t register. But if I kick somewhere around a few inches to the left or right of them, the kick will mostly work. If the toe of my shoe is coming out their back without damaging them, it probably deserves to be fixed in the next patch.

• A few more things I need to clear up. If I go to create a game in chivalry, you know with bots and whatnot, I can only create an actual game with like two options. I can make a game for LTS in arena, and team objective in every other map. Anything else doesn’t seem to work. I’ll set 31 players for free-for-all in dark forest or whatever that maps called and spam “create game” “create game” “create game” and it won’t start the darned match. I did get 64 players on LTS arena to work, but when I start it up for the first round there are only like 14 bots total. The next round there will be a ton, not sure if there’s 64, but the bots can’t even leave the spawn. The AI is extremely unintelligent. I can’t even leave my spawn in arena. I barely have time to escape from the gate because the bots are standing on the incline towards the exit of the spawn and kicking eachother. They just look up, get in the mosh pit, and kick. I have to hack & slash my way through to leave. But surprisingly once the voice from the sky says “IT IS BETTER TO GO FIGHT IN THE ARENA THAN TO BE SHOT LIKE DOGS BY MY ARCHERS” they all seem to flee outwards into the actual map. Also, I was once fighting and I was near that huge hole in the middle of arena (where if you fall in you die because of the spikes and whatnot) and the last enemy bot was on one side of the hole, and I was on the other. It went forward to attack me and just fell in. Half of the bots just randomly fall in the whole. It doesn’t even seem random considering they purposely walk in there, but whatevs. Oh, and on team-objective, I tried playing but none of my teammates would go to grab the torches and light the signal fire. They just walk around and get stuck on the corner of rocks and fence posts. Yes, surprisingly there is a glitch to where if you stand near certain things like rocks, wall corners, pottery, etc. There will be a really fast “CH” sound of your armor and you will bounce and shake in that spot. You can’t do anything at all besides move and try to escape the area you’re in. But, the bots don’t go for the objective the just get stuck in the spawn on rocks and it sounds like a bunch of locusts mating. I know bots aren’t a huge focus, but if you’re going to put them in the game you should at least make them considerably good AI. It’s kind of like putting helmets in the game. Why even allow them to be unlocked if you can’t even equip them in the first place? Why put bots in the game if you feel like you’re fighting a bunch of automated knaves that belong in a pre-pre-pre-pre-Alpha version

Lastly, I do enjoy all of the secret cows in every map and bashing someone’s head in with a maul has got to be the most satisfying thing. Oh! Hopefully this is the last glitch I have to think about and mention, but every time I bash someone’s skull in with fists, the maul, etc. Their skull bones and gore will just float in the air really slowly. Most of the time at least. You bash their face in and the remnants of their skeletal head will just hover in place.

Thank you for creating such a masterpiece of a game, despite the glitches, this has got to be the best, most addictive, comedic, diverse, vast MP game I have ever experienced.

• I agree with these things, also i had a fun time dueling you today (ahem, look at my name sdrawkcaB)

but i must correct you on one thing - you can hold shields up forever. after a couple seconds it will start draining your stamina if you keep holding it up. also, by using a shield you do sacrifice the ability to do an accelerated parry strike.

very good bug report my friend.

Another glitch that needs urgent attention, if i may add…

Sometimes (most of the time actually) the first time you spawn after joining a server, or having a new game start, you have no health or stamina bars whatsoever, no matter what you do. they only appear the second time you spawn. Very annoying, especially if the first round of an lts match happens to be a very intense one, you really need to know how much health and stamina you have.

• @|:

Shields: Sometimes I hit straight through a shield. I’ll be using a zweihander and somehow injure my opponent by stabbing the center of their buckler, heater, kite, tower, etc. even though their block is up. Also, the shields block way too much. I’ll be alt-swinging around their right side of the shield and somehow it will block it. My weapon should be making contact with their shoulder or arm, but it still hits the shield.

This is currently the thing that bothers me the most.
    Sure, I guess a lot of time I am actually hitting their shield, but there are cases where you clearly hit them on their side but it gets blocked nontheless.

• and the rank glitch ;)

• and the out of stamina stuns causing extra delay with bringing your shield back up…also sometimes your shield just gets stuck in the held up position, even without you pressing block.

• Ye, I just found out today that shields do eventually take stamina away. Another thing I might add is attempting to join servers. About a week ago I tried do join every sort of server. Duel, FFA, LTS, Team-Objective, etc. I would let it load where it says “please wait” and would come back a few minutes later and it would still say “please wait”. I consulted some forums and finally found that I had to switch steam into the Beta version. I’m still using the beta version of steam, otherwise, I can’t join servers without it. I’m not sure how frequently this occurs with others but it sure ticked me off.

• While were at it, another sort of bug in the same vein of the above, if you click to join the wrong server on accident (mouse over one server, another loads in its place and you accidentally click that) and then click cancel while its loading, when you go back to the server browser, no matter what you do no more servers will load and you have to quit the game and start it back up.

• Okay er….so i just joined an empty server, left it, and no servers would load…have to restart the game to get them to load again…not sure how often this happens, but it definitely just happened to me.

• You don’t need to exit the game to get the servers to show up again.
    Just click create a game to play against bots and exit to menu as soon as it loads. fixes it.

• Haha. Most of these are bugs that have been overlooked for about 8 months now.

• +1

Good summation of some of the longstanding bugs that are small but annoying like thorns. Hopefully they’ll be fixed soon!

• This game is really ticking me off today, even though I have been having enormous loads of fun. My reticles keep disappearing, my HUD keeps disappearing, server filters aren’t working, servers sometimes still won’t even come up, and the pool-thingy in duel mode is completely broken, I can be 1 out of 5 people in the pool waiting for a duel and I must manually challenge them.

• Oh, I must also add that when I was dueling today, I kept trying to equip my light crossbow so I could get kills to unlock the heavy crossbow and it would rarely equip. It would only equip if I changed my loadout right before the duel started and I spawned in a certain area. Oh, and the rank glitch. Sometimes I’ll join a server and it’ll say I’m level 5 when I’m actually 28. However, the next game I join will be fine.

• @|:

• Chat glitch in duels. This one has been quite the bugger lately. A bit less of a problem, but every time I type a message, if a new duel starts, a duel ends, or anything but just standing there in the duel, my message can’t be further edited. I can press enter, but I can never finish it. This doesn’t bother me near as much as not being able to equip different helmets, but it’s still quite annoying. I can pretty much only type when I am spectating and out of the pool, or standing in a current duel.

I really hate this one. You can open the console (~) and type say <message>and it won’t bug out.

The first one is caused most likely because your swing hit him the second he dropped his shield. It seems that the instant you release the RMB for shield, you’re no longer blocking anything, even though your shield still appears to be held up for a few tenths of a second afterwards.

I’m not sure about the 2nd one but it’s also annoying.

Misc. combat annoyances: The logic of blocking in this game somewhat confuses me, you can hold up a huge heavy shield without it taking up any amount of stamina for an infinite amount of time, however you can’t hold up a mace or any other weapon without it being a split-second long and draining 1/8 of your stamina.

If you hold a shield up for long enough… like 4-5 seconds, you will start slowly losing stamina. You can, however, subvert this by lowering your shield for a split second, then raising it again. Also, parries by themselves (unless it’s a panic parry) take no stamina to do. Successful parries do however drain stamina.</message>

• The reticle disappears because you make it go away. The key for it is U right. And the key for chat is Y. So every now and again you tap U making it disappear. How I found this out is I changed the keybind of disable crosshairs to something else and it never happened to me again.

The I bound slow motion to U and normal speed to I and I have since twice been an admin and accidentally made the server go in slow motion. And the thing is I thought I unbound both. I had only unbound the normal speed bind and not the slomo bind so I’m stuck there mashing I with nothing happening.

Unbound properly now though.