Pub TO is very difficult to join (lack of servers)

• Hey guys,

I’m one of those rank 46 guys who plays mostly “casual” and I’m really feeling that TO servers need to be increased. You have guys playing “classic servers” who show up when it says TO and then immediately evacuate the servers once it shifts to anything other than TO. I’m seeing this pretty often, and I’m wondering:

Is it possible to shift some of your classic servers to strictly TO servers. A lot (most) of classic servers I’m on vote off maps that aren’t TO as soon as they start to play TO maps.

Are you guys noticing this?

It feels like 90% of Chivalry players (internet statistic, you know how that goes) want to play TO, and that they only play other official servers because TO servers are always full. I suppose it’s possible they’re always empty (as I often have full and empty servers taken off my browser), but I doubt that’s the case. I doubt it’s the case because the only time I can join a TO server is when it’s 31/32 players, but “Wrong” is my second middle name (next to “Awesome”… and “Russell”).\

Disclaimer- I mostly duel. But I play TO maybe once or twice a day (switch servers a lot).

• TO has to be my favourite game mode followed closely by LTS.

I honestly don’t mind if a server goes from TO to CTF, TDM or even KotH. But please don’t expect me to stick around for anything to do with Arena or FFA. Not a fan really.

So yes, more TO servers and more importantly: MORE TO MAPS 8-)

• @DokB:

So yes, more TO servers and more importantly: MORE TO MAPS 8-)

Right now all of my faith in this is in the SDK, I don’t think TB will be doing more maps they’re not paid for (understandably, $25 game most people get for $6).

I just feel like a lot of servers are empty unless the map is TO, and then once they change everyone goes to find another TO game. I’m not certain whether or not they understand what a TO server means, but I see more people sticking around for TO games, and more people leaving when TO switches to anything else.\

If it helps/matters I’m US EAST.

• For the record, TB themselves stated they would never charge $$$ for maps. They even said they’ve got some in the works/“on the backburner” as they sort through more pressing issues.

• Look for The Killing Crew server in the browser. Ours is a 32 slot server, running both TDM/TO maps in rotation. Server is usually full. If there is a real demand for it, I will put up a TO only server as well.

• TO is my favourite gamemode too, however the servers often have other modes in rotation for a bit of variety and to make it easier to kick a server off - a round of FFA for example helps people join, then we can follow that up with TO

If we could keep TO constantly occupied then I’d happily shift a 32 slot server to it

• Down here we have no trouble keeping several TO servers full. And we even have fists and 3rd person disable on many of them too. All 32 player.

In fact the day after the sale it was almost impossible to get on any server.

And many people have finally learnt to play the game.

• Shouldn’t you re-enable fists lemon, seeing as they were nerfed?

• @Kimiko:

http://www.chivalrythegame.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=15640&start=10#p164905

Guh, sorry Kimi, I was looking for where I had posted that for replies earlier today and couldn’t remember/find the thread.

Thanks, sorry to post about this, I assumed it was unseen- especially because I kind of put my complaint in another thread that was not really related. I know you do all you can!

• @DokB:

For the record, TB themselves stated they would never charge $$$ for maps,

You know, as a full time freelancer I could wholeheartedly understand them saying that and then realizing it’s not financially viable. It’s really apparent after how long this game has run that it needs more maps, and kudos to them for not releasing map packs as paid DLC and offering us the Citadel with no extra charge, but I’d gladly pay the price of this game again for a handful of additional maps.

Honestly- $25 game that is giving me a time span nearing 650 hours is way way past what I expected, and I’d pay for more. If TB ever became EA I’d bitch (paid DLC every 2 weeks), but that’s not happening for a while and not while the current guys are in charge (or guy is in charge).

I fully expected to see more maps as paid DLC before the SDK hit, but it looks like they’re sticking with their guns. Good for them, they don’t get enough positive feedback for this.

• @DokB:

Shouldn’t you re-enable fists lemon, seeing as they were nerfed?

I hear this a lot but we have servers with and without fists/3rd person and the graphs show that the ones locked to 1st/no fists out perform the other ones

• @BlaZe:

@DokB:

I hear this a lot but we have servers with and without fists/3rd person and the graphs show that the ones locked to 1st/no fists out perform the other ones

I’ve seen those graphs too. Personally I find it strange. But I’m not the whole community.

• @lemonater47:

@BlaZe:

@DokB:

I’ve seen those graphs too. Personally I find it strange. But I’m not the whole community.

I’m in two minds about this. I hate people that use 3rd person to overhead lookdown constantly or block with shields without the vision blockage. However it will be really nice to look at yourself when we have the customisation.

I hate fists because it’s just immersion breaking to have someone be able to punch a knight in full plate to death, also a little OP if someone with fists manages to catch me off guard when I have a shield out as they can punch me quicker than I can counter attack (the shield down time means the fist keeps flinching). I presume this is what causes the horrible sound at the end of the match, when the game is trying to force the losing team to use fists but fists are blocked.

• I concur wholeheartedly, more TO. Get to it Kimi! /crackwhip

• @Dr:

@lemonater47:

@BlaZe:

I’m in two minds about this. I hate people that use 3rd person to overhead lookdown constantly or block with shields without the vision blockage. However it will be really nice to look at yourself when we have the customisation.

I hate fists because it’s just immersion breaking to have someone be able to punch a knight in full plate to death, also a little OP if someone with fists manages to catch me off guard when I have a shield out as they can punch me quicker than I can counter attack (the shield down time means the fist keeps flinching). I presume this is what causes the horrible sound at the end of the match, when the game is trying to force the losing team to use fists but fists are blocked.

Well good thing there isn’t any full plate knights in the game then.

Though realistically a punch in the cheats armour or not is still gonna hurt pretty much the same. Only difference being it hurts the guy doing the punching. That’s the thing about blunt things. Knights are wearing chain mail. The mason knight has a coat of plates with a big plate on the outside. A sword would bounce off. Getting punched would wind you.

And yes the machine gun at the end of rounds is the result of the client trying to do something that the server doesn’t let it do.

• @SlyGoat:

I concur wholeheartedly, more TO. Get to it Kimi! /crackwhip

Pfff, go QA some more, goat. Throws pile of hay

As an update, I’ve put in an order to switch some server locations around, and once that goes through, I will begin adding more of this and that and balancing things a bit. We’ve got so many servers, it’ll be loads of fun to mess with :P

• @quigleyer:

….but I’d gladly pay the price of this game again for a handful of additional maps. …

I think there won’t be any more official maps because they are releasing the SDK which is in beta stages now, which means there will probably be community voted map packs that maybe would become part of the official game??? who knows.

Either way, Im more excited about making maps for this game… especially a 10 stages long TO map.
    Really… it would rock your sox.

• Just so you guys know, I was working on the server stuff for most of the day. I made them a bit more orderly and in a specific order. But also added more servers in each server mode. A bunch more TO servers were added in various locations, as well as a few in FFA and LTS. I notice there weren’t many duel mode servers at all, so I added a bunch more of those. So all I really need to do is fix up the classic servers and their rotations and we should be good to go after I finish my contact with Multiplay to find out about the lag issues.

I may also add a couple CTF and Fist only servers as well.

• @Kimiko:

Just so you guys know, I was working on the server stuff for most of the day. I made them a bit more orderly and in a specific order. But also added more servers in each server mode. A bunch more TO servers were added in various locations, as well as a few in FFA and LTS. I notice there weren’t many duel mode servers at all, so I added a bunch more of those. So all I really need to do is fix up the classic servers and their rotations and we should be good to go after I finish my contact with Multiplay to find out about the lag issues.

I may also add a couple CTF and Fist only servers as well.

Thanks very much for doing this, I’m sure the community will appreciate it greatly. At the very least I’m very appreciative :).