Heavy Javelin (name)

• If I’m not mistaken the Heavy Javelin is a pilum, why not just call it a ‘pilum’? :P

Small suggestion but it seems logical to me. Love the model though, glad it isn’t just a bigger javelin.

• Or a jarrid, but yeah…

• You are quite true actually.

During the middle-ages, some armies tended to use javlins with the exact same shape and use.

But I believe renaming it “pilum” (Roman way FTW) could confuse some people and look kinda out of place.

Now I HOPE (hint**hint) that there will be a Gladius added with the new weapons they plan to add…

• maybe they could also add a german longswordXDDD i looooooooove german longswords XD

(zweihänder is a greatsword)

well tbh we got enough german weapons so its alright for me doesnt have to be implemented

• @Thorendir:

maybe they could also add a german longswordXDDD i looooooooove german longswords XD
    (zweihänder is a greatsword)
    well tbh we got enough german weapons so its alright for me doesnt have to be implemented

Excuse me, I did not understand what you said (also zweihanders are already in I believe, and “pilum” is no german, but latin)

• @Jihell:

(also zweihanders are already in I believe, and “pilum” is no german, but latin)

Indeed, zweihanders are in the game as slow powerful flame-bladed longswords.

@Jihell:

But I believe renaming it “pilum” (Roman way FTW) could confuse some people and look kinda out of place.

I’m all in for calling the ‘Heavy Javelin’ by it’s real life name, the ‘Pilum’. That’s no more confusing than ‘Zweihander’ for people who don’t know what it is…

• I meant, having a Roman name for a weapon in a Medieval-themed game might seem clumsy…
    It would not bother me the least.

• The Roman pilum had a shank of unhardened metal that bends on impact to make the weapon useless for the enemy but more importantly makes those shields useless in which it gets stuck. This mechanic is not in the game and I doubt it fits. As long as the heavy javelin doesn’t have this function I feel uncomfortable calling it a pilum.

• I guess that makes sense, heavy javelin it stays then! :P

• whilst we’re on the subject of weapon names, the Zweihander in this game is actually a Flamberge. I am sure this has already been mentioned though (probably)

• http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flame-bladed_sword
    @Wikipedia:

The two-handed flame-bladed sword is called flambard, [flamberge], flammard or by the German Flammenschwert (literally “flame sword”). These swords are very similar to two-handed sword or Zweihänder. The only difference being the blade.

• @Viper:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flame-bladed_sword
    @Wikipedia:

The two-handed flame-bladed sword is called flambard, [flamberge], flammard or by the German Flammenschwert (literally “flame sword”). These swords are very similar to two-handed sword or Zweihänder. The only difference being the blade.

thanks for clearing that up!

• Zweihander sounds too badass not to have in the game, but having two giant german swords would be redundant. :P

• Zweihander kinda reminds me of Highlander…

There can only be one !

• @PowerZ:

The Roman pilum had a shank of unhardened metal that bends on impact to make the weapon useless for the enemy but more importantly makes those shields useless in which it gets stuck. This mechanic is not in the game and I doubt it fits. As long as the heavy javelin doesn’t have this function I feel uncomfortable calling it a pilum.

I kinda agree, that’s why I at first wanted to suggest in this topic to have it do some special ability against shields. That would likely add a whole lot more balance issues though.

So I see your point, but I feel more uncomfortable calling something that looks exactly like a pilum a Heavy Javelin, than calling a pilum without the usefulness against shields a pilum.

@Jihell:

During the middle-ages, some armies tended to use javlins with the exact same shape and use.

Thanks for sharing Jihell, I find this very interesting. If it’s not too much trouble, do you know of any sources that prove this? Also I’d love to know what it was called during the middle-ages.

• @Kwal:

Thanks for sharing Jihell, I find this very interesting. If it’s not too much trouble, do you know of any sources that prove this? Also I’d love to know what it was called during the middle-ages.

I do believe this (http://arms.cybrary.jp/db/throw/javelin/jpeg/angon.jpg ; http://en.academic.ru/dic.nsf/enwiki/9364513) is one example.

Surely, there are others, but I can’t remember where exactly I found that informattion in the first place… maybe on a particular forum. Anyway, this is proof enough I think… although it’s not the middle of the medieval era.

• Fun fact: ??? ??? (Agathías Scholastikós) was probably the first historian mentioning an angon.

• Hehe

@Jihell:

I do believe this (http://arms.cybrary.jp/db/throw/javelin/jpeg/angon.jpg ; http://en.academic.ru/dic.nsf/enwiki/9364513) is one example.

I’ve heard about the angon before, but that’s not really proof. The early middle ages were right after the Roman period so it makes a lot more sense that there is carryover in that period. There is a huge difference however between the 6th century and the 14-15th century.

A small quote in your link though says

'The maximum effective range of the angon and other javelins was probably 12 to 15 m (40-50 ft) depending on the length and weight of the weapon and the skill of the thrower. It is not known to have been used in war beyond the 15th century, but during the 16th century it was used sporadically for hunting. [Blair and Tarassuk (1982), p.285.]

Which implies there could be evidence for it to be used in war during this game’s time period. Google books doesn’t allow me to read that page for any footnotes or more detailed information though so I’ll try the library later as I really want to know now :P

• I kinda agree with you.
    Yet i’m pretty sure I read somewhere on the large internet (from a seemingly reliable source) that pilum-like weapons were used (though not to a large extent) in the heart period of the middle ages.