[TEAM] Actual Examples of Working Together

• This thread can detail examples of teams actually working together, not just as pairs, but as detailed team strategies that have either failed or succeeded. Sometimes they fail because they are poorly executed or planned, but other times because the opposing team is also playing strategically.

The idea of this thread is that by collecting team strategies they might be more utilised and we would see less anarchic hack and slash. There are clans for this, of course, but this will also be of interest to more casual gamers like me who cannot coordinate timetables for gaming.

1. SHIELD WALL
    On a number of occasions, particularly on Stone Hill, I have seen knights approach as a wall of shields. It looks imposing but the players have difficulty in moving from defensive to offensive, so that they can open up to attack the other players in a coordinated way but also reform the wall. Would be great to see two teams of knights oppose each other in lines in classical greek style.

An option for this is Knights with shields alternating with Vanguards with long spears in order to provide reach and protection. A small unit of vanguards and crossbows can contain archers aiming for feet.

2. THE RUSH
    Nearly as old as gaming itself, one leader encourages all to take a particular path and overwhelm the enemy through numbers and surprise.

3. DIVERSION
    A selection of men-at-arms can provide a smokescreen to help carry out a diversionary attack where the opposing team cannot see which flank is being emphasised. They become surrounded and cannot fight off the enemy.

4. CHOKEPOINTS
    Everyone knows this one. Create an impasse and block with knights and missiles.

• 1. Shield wall, for the most part, is ineffective. Fire pots destroy it.

3. MAA don’t use smoke pots –> Those are vanguards. For the most part, its mainly used to help close the gap against archers. Or prevent them from supporting melee for a good chunk of time.

• How team work really occurs in the game:
    You hit the guy that’s hitting your mate, in the back and kill him.

• One time in TO, in darkforest, i was on agatha and the masons had us down to our last royal family group, and had already busted the wall down. I bossed my team around like a cock, and got a nice thick wall of tower shield knights to fill up in front of the entrance, and we held off for over 10 minutes, and won. The wall was thick enough that any thrown firepots usually would hit us instead of the family. It was pretty epic. Also, coming from the mason spawn attacking, it was the group that was farthest to the right, that was our last one.

• Another game, same objective (defend the royal family), on agatha again. When there are two or three family members still alive in a busted open cave, you can slowly but surely stab them to different locations. Stab one all the way into one corner, the other into a different one, and the third up front and in the middle. That way its harder for people to combo them all in one or two swings, and on the way to the others they will probably be flinched and taken out before they can kill another. I’m sure if people did this more it could win them a couple of close 1-3 minute left games, coupled with decent defense as well.

• I remember on battlegrounds we made a testudo in a pub match. It was pretty cool.

Then the ballista wanted to play.

• Quite often see rush team play in Kill the King objectives.
    The attacking team which is struggling will gather at the entrance and attack all together, almost always resulting in a win.

Also, once in Citadel as Agatha, the entire team selected firepot maa to kill the cowardly king in the corner when there was less than 1 minute left.

• @Teocyn:

How team work really occurs in the game:
    You hit the guy that’s hitting your mate, in the back and kill him.

This, i do this all the time and i always find myself asking… how come no one ever comes to help me when someone is fucking me in the butt? lol.

• A setup that works well for me is to have a mate or two with fast weapons stand by me and I maul the enemies to death when they get flinched.

• @clayton-bigsby:

This, i do this all the time and i always find myself asking… how come no one ever comes to help me when someone is fucking me in the butt? lol.

LOL, I know right?? I find that if there is 3 enemies vs my team mate, I’m there to help like a hero. When it’s 3 vs me… 2 more enemies and the fucking in the butt commences.

• In Battlegrounds, as Agatha, our team had pushed the petard about 90+% of the way up to the gate, but had grown disorganized and were running endlessly to our deaths against the entrenched Masons.

So, with just a few minutes left, I and another guy and I managed to rally our team of pubbers up behind that big palisade wall. It took some work convincing the last few guys to wait with us, but once they realized they were going in without support they wised up.

I got on the catapult and fired a couple shots until I finally, luckily, hit a nice big clump of Masons (I think about 4 or 5 in an 8v8); then the other guy gave the signal and we all immediately rushed in and finally managed to overwhelm them with numbers and secure the bomb cart. Then it was just a matter of having a couple archers do the pushing while the rest of us fought them slightly in advance. I mean, that’s ultimately what the cata is for, but it takes some leadership to get everyone to be patient enough to wait for a big hit.

• I’ve seen the shield wall work semi-effectively when attacking the king in Stonehill, though I think it was in part by accident. I was on defense, and they had knights in the front and a javelineer jumping and chucking javs over top (which wasn’t that effective but gave you second thoughts about running up to kick or something).

They tried this once and were repelled, but when they came the second time, a MAA ran around the other wing, and nobody saw him. He got a backstab in on the king and they started to duel - then our defense sort of fell apart when nobody could agree on who was going back to help the king and who was sticking around to fight the knights. Most of our guys were vanguards and knights at this point, and there was much accidental TKing, and we lost. I was left wondering if the MAA was part of the plan or if he just Leeroy Jenkinsed his team to victory.

• An example of when teamwork really would have been awesome: in another roughly 8v8 match on Dark Forest, as Agatha we had almost held the Masons off in the aquifer, but were pushed back at the last second. We only had to hold them off from killing the royal families for something like 2 minutes, and I guess we got cocky and let ourselves get disorganized, despite having had a really good rhythm going earlier.

Anyway, what we should have done was just largely abandoned A and B and just focused our defense entirely on C. (Cruel, but effective, no?) Instead we ran around aimlessly, and somehow they managed to break in everywhere, even in that limited amount of time. Blargh, I’m still kicking myself for not saying something.

• Me and two friends have a really fun strategy in LTS stoneshill village:

I go vanguard with a spear, my two friends go crowssbow archer with pavise shield. We torch a house (so nobody else can) and hide in it while I spear anyone who gets close (they’re also getting pelted with crossbow bolts too). Pavise shields are used to block the entrance. The only real counter to this is a good archer (but one of my friends is a stellar archer, soo yeah). The other way we do it is we hide in an enclosed space and block off a small section with 2 pavise shields (there are a couple places on moor this works too) while we shoot anyone who gets near, then pull our daggers out once the pavise wall has been broken.

I’ve never lost a single LTS on those maps with my team’s strategy. You can also take the center tower with 2 pavise shields and use the same tactic.

• @Event:

Me and two friends have a really fun strategy in LTS stoneshill village:

I go vanguard with a spear, my two friends go crowssbow archer with pavise shield. We torch a house (so nobody else can) and hide in it while I spear anyone who gets close (they’re also getting pelted with crossbow bolts too). Pavise shields are used to block the entrance. The only real counter to this is a good archer (but one of my friends is a stellar archer, soo yeah). The other way we do it is we hide in an enclosed space and block off a small section with 2 pavise shields (there are a couple places on moor this works too) while we shoot anyone who gets near, then pull our daggers out once the pavise wall has been broken.

I’ve never lost a single LTS on those maps with my team’s strategy. You can also take the center tower with 2 pavise shields and use the same tactic.

Was just coming to mention the Stoneshill one. Played against a team in LTS yesterday who did this. The small house at the back near the gate that only has one entrance, they had two pavise shields blocking the door, three guys with xbows in there and three with spears. Even with firepots we couldn’t get to them as there archers kept taking out our MAAs. I’m not sure what tactic we could have used to beat this honestly.

Was frustrating yet very well executed from them, especially on a pub server.

• @JW:

Was frustrating yet very well executed from them, especially on a pub server.

Me and my friends call it Zombie Survival, because you’re literally walling up and camping “zombies” and trying to defend your area so you don’t get invaded.

• Best teamwork I’ve ever seen is on Argon’s wall.

3 crossbow archers cramped in the little room inside the wall where you literally can’t swing inside. They dropped pavise shields just inside the point where no swings can hit. Because of this, their shields were indestructible. They camped inside the room, firing a volley at people who tried coming in. There was absolutely no way of killing them, bar other projectiles.

As for micro scale teamwork, killstealing. Believe it or not, a good “kill stealer” can save your team. Rather than having everyone on your team butt heads with the enemy like morons, use the distraction of your more expendable teammates to sneak around the back and gank unsuspecting mooks. Doing this doesn’t simply make your K/D look badass, it keeps your teammates alive.

• @DerFürst:

Best teamwork I’ve ever seen is on Argon’s wall.

3 crossbow archers cramped in the little room inside the wall where you literally can’t swing inside. They dropped pavise shields just inside the point where no swings can hit. Because of this, their shields were indestructible. They camped inside the room, firing a volley at people who tried coming in. There was absolutely no way of killing them, bar other projectiles.

As for micro scale teamwork, killstealing. Believe it or not, a good “kill stealer” can save your team. Rather than having everyone on your team butt heads with the enemy like morons, use the distraction of your more expendable teammates to sneak around the back and gank unsuspecting mooks. Doing this doesn’t simply make your K/D look badass, it keeps your teammates alive.

Haha me and a few friends did this today. Someone tried kicking us for hacking.