How to combat the jiggle wiggle attack of man at arms?

• So I’m one those summer sale babies. I’ve pumped about 36 hours into it already, and I’m at level 22. Yet I still feel as vulnerable as a baby goose. Nobody is fooled by my feints and I’ve dragged more mice than a tomcat to no effect. But the one thing that I’m completely flummoxed by is when a MAA comes at you swinging. No dodging. No fancy moves. Just swinging like mad and the sashay side to side grunting like a stoat.

One of several outcomes happens:

1. I get pasted. (Most common)

2. We get caught up in a nonstop parry strike cycle until an enemy vanguard or a “friendly” one kills us both with a two handed sword. (Second Most common).

3. One his strikes slides through my weapon even though I’m looking at the tip just like the tutorial and I go back to part one (Often)

4. I win somehow. (Unicorn sighting)

I’ve tried giving him the boot for some distance but if often doesn’t work or isn’t responsive. Sometimes I get stuck like I’m bumping an invisible wall and can’t move. Basically unless I’m an archer who can kill him before he gets to me or go for one good shot and an alpha strike stab or a vanguard spear pokey man I feel like I’m dead meat even as another man at arms.

• Turn 90 degrees to parry helps reduce your most common scenario, high mouse sensitivity helps, and then just experience. Play a MAA and turn tracers on to see how the weapons strike.

• I’m not the most qualified to give advice n all but I’ll try with a little game you can play to improve ^.^.

Firstly, greg is right, obviously - Practice.

So it sounds like you have big issues with your parries.

In a little time and effort, you’ll find the man at arms players that just run at you swinging will become the easiest to kill. You gotta learn to parry small weapons as well as big, takes a little time but its not so bad. I had a lot of trouble with parries originally because I used shield all the time previously, so this is what I did to learn - and it worked really well for me. Its just practice ultimately, but its a quicker way of getting the experience and timing down - try this:

- Do loads of FFA matches, but with a twist. You cant kill anyone. Just try to stay alive as long as possible with just parries and movement, but while getting close in to all the fighting, like a weird, pacifist nutjob that loves pain. See how few deaths you can get, try to beat it each time. You’ll find it absolutely hilarious (especially if you spam various funny voices) and - your parries will get a lot more consistent after a few hours of that. Course, you wont always be trying to survive against maas with hatchets - but itll do the trick. Itll also teach you situational awareness, and how to survive against groups a little better.

Concentrate on getting good parries first - because then you can use them as a platform to attack: with ‘ripostes.’ Thats when the sub-level 20 hatchet spammers that you have trouble with and are absolutely everywhere, will suddenly look like tasty treats. Try the little parry game! :). Still I have fun with it from time to time if im bored of normal play heh!

• best advice I could offer to anyone to attempt a maa encounter is to note the sword thrust attack is parried ever so slightly to the left. That means, unlike a number of other weapon attacks from different classes, an adjustment has to be made to parry the thrusting attack. It is typically their main strength and though far from resolving the various challenges of this class will help considerably.

• @UseSwordOnMan:

So I’m one those summer sale babies. **(1)**I’ve pumped about 36 hours into it already, and I’m at level 22. Yet I still feel as vulnerable as a baby goose. (2) Nobody is fooled by my feints and I’ve dragged more mice than a tomcat to no effect. But the one thing that I’m completely flummoxed by is when a MAA comes at you swinging. No dodging. No fancy moves. (3) Just swinging like mad and the sashay side to side grunting like a stoat.

(4) I’ve tried giving him the boot for some distance but if often doesn’t work or isn’t responsive. Sometimes I get stuck like I’m bumping an invisible wall and can’t move. Basically unless I’m an archer who can kill him before he gets to me or go for one good shot and an alpha strike stab or a vanguard spear pokey man I feel like I’m dead meat even as another man at arms.

This will be a large post, but it should be useful if you are serious about getting better.

(1) 36 hours is a good start, but it is still very early in your Chivalry “career”. Stick with it for 100+ hours before you really start judging yourself.

(2) You need to sell your feints. Use aggressive body language, and feint as far into your windup as you can (easier with slower weapons). Feint only against players who actually parry; feinting against someone who does nothing but attack will not end well for you, and feinting against someone who has poor parry accuracy is an inefficient use of time.

A mouse drag is an advanced move and should only be prioritized after you have mastered the more basic elements of the game. But if you still want to focus on it, try this: begin a thrust looking down and to the right of the enemy, then drag up and to the left as you windup and release. This will both delay your attack (which will let the enemy’s parry expire) and increase the chance of slipping past the parry or shield hitbox. It is also very difficult to read visually.

(3) The LMB spamming player is the easiest type of player to defeat. The simplest method is to simply backpedal away from his slash, then immediately attack while he is recovering. MAAs have shortish weapons that are relatively easy to evade, and the slash attack is both the slowest and the easiest to read in the game.

Another method is to turn hard into your parry if they slash you from close range, then immediately parry combo (riposte) as mentioned earlier. The ripost should always be a thrust if you have a thrusting weapon, and an overhead if it’s not. The “bubble” around your player makes parrying close range attacks much easier than before.

(4) Regarding kicking, use the strong kick only against shield MAA (for the special daze). MAA is the fastest moving class in the game and can of course dodge, so you will not be able to tag them with kicks reliably. They are also the quickest to punish you if you miss your kick.

(Bonus) Combo! Combo combo combo! You must master the ability to land your first hit, then land a second, and a third, and on until your target dies. After you evade the LMB spammers first attack, sprint in for the thrust as he is recovering, then immediately combo into a jumping overhead, then immediately land and drag thrust from the right. Delete your target and move on to the next before his buddy arrives to help.

• I know it took me probably even a little longer than you before I nailed how to riposte. Honestly, in my opinion, this is a big factor in winning parry wars because it allows you to have a lightning quick counter, but doesn’t REQUIRE you to have a lightning quick counter. While you should always switch it up, try starting with a riposte counter to get their guard up. Next time you parry, jump into the air (keep your eye on him, if he attacks you must still parry, but be prepared he’s probably not guarding at all if this is the case, and you can just parry/stab riposte your way to victory) and if you see a parry strike as you come down.

Honestly I think, at least against lower levels (1-30), that a feint is not exactly as safe a move as a jump, a duck, or a shoulder shift (running two different directions quickly, but this usually only looks like a swing with 2 handers being held while running) because they might not actually be playing much defense at all, and just attacking. Once you get a riposte in I usually find they’re really quick to parry, and will do so on the first movement- but these moves are particularly helpful because they allow you to still block (as a feint often won’t unless you feint to parry just right) if you see a blade coming your way instead of a panicked parry going up.

If you’re curious about the riposte it’s an attack pretty much done off a parry. Pressing RMB to parry and quickly rolling your mouse wheel up (parry/riposte stab) is often very effective in throwing up caution on lower level players and turning the control of battle in your favor.

• Quick thing to add: check both of your pings. A high or simply unexpected ping can really throw you off, especially when you’re up against a very swift weapon; what you see isn’t always what you get.

Parrying can be pretty counter-intuitive sometimes. A couple days ago I was chasing down a vanguard and he somehow managed to parry an overhead with his back turned. So anything his possible.

I have my mouse sensitivity cranked up pretty high, and against archers and other MAA (I play MAA about 50-60% of the time) I make sure to really look far to the side. And preferably, I try to use footwork and timing to avoid having to parry at all.

• Kick him in the balls. It sounds simple, but you have to time it just right.

• I tried the no attacking practice last night and it really helped overall in particular in showing me the pace of the game. Although I couldn’t resist head chopping a level 40+ after he feinted three times in a row and started panting. I always worry about not being aggressive enough and was surprised on how long you can sit there and block with a weapon.

Does parrying hard where they start their swing increase the time you have to riposte before they can block? Does it change the stamina drain? Typically who loses more stamina the attacker or the blocker? It seems that guys with shields get pooped faster than guys with just weapons but I haven’t found any hard data on that. All the tutorial vids I’ve seen on other forums (the Shara and Hexen ones) both have follow vids that they are out of date and the chivalry wikia seems pretty barebones too.

I will try the other stuff tonight though, thanks!