Moveable platforms, is it practical for multiplayer?

• I want to create a level where players will battle on moving ships, I’m curious if this would be practical, as in, there wouldn’t be any weird client/server hitches and such. Does anybody know about this?

• Considering the UDK handles all movement as animations I wouldn’t imagine there would be an issue.

• I was also thinking of doing a map on ships.

I made really quick test with two ships and frozen lands around. If you want to have your player going from one ship to another you obviously a kind of bridge between them which means your ships must be always side by side as in a boarding.

I see 2 solutions for you :

1- like in my test, Ships don’t move but with the water you get the illusion to be on an ocean

2 - you make a matinee for your ship to move along if i remeber well there is little tweak to make to be sure your player stays on the plaform while it moves.

3- yes there a 3 ! You can make one of the player to control the boat as he wishes and other people to fire cannon, all in kismet. Though it requires some times i guess, mroe if you have never use kismet before.

• Yeah, I was thinking about the first solution there. The only downside I see is that you are limited to fighting on the ships, since everything else will be an illusion of making the boats appear they are moving. It would be cool to have a map where you fight on the ships, and then eventually reach the shore and fight on land.

• @de.yrc.s:

Yeah, I was thinking about the first solution there. The only downside I see is that you are limited to fighting on the ships, since everything else will be an illusion of making the boats appear they are moving. It would be cool to have a map where you fight on the ships, and then eventually reach the shore and fight on land.

If it’s your first map that’s going to complicate things a little bit, you’ll need moving spawns and long range animations. But hey, life’s nothing without a little ambition, go for it!

• @de.yrc.s:

It would be cool to have a map where you fight on the ships, and then eventually reach the shore and fight on land.

Yeah that would be cool but in other mode than TO, it means you force player to move from one arena to an another while fighting. So It would be like 10 minutes on ships then 10 minutes on land, so the cut will be automatic and decided by you, not players.

As mockingbirch said it’s ambitious but why not. Good luck.