[Knight] I fear my skills have plateaued. Help?

• So I have no illusions that I’m a great player. That said, I do pretty well when I play Chivalry; in fact, a little too well. I’ve reached a point where I know that I still have tons of room to grow, and that I see players on here who clearly know a lot more than me, but I tend to rarely come across opponents in-game that provide much in the way of a challenge. Because of the lack of matchmaking, I’ve reached an unfortunate plateau of ‘stomps pubs but doesn’t know where to go next’.

Every so often, I stumble across duelists who stomp me or the like, and I go out of my way to befriend them. But it isn’t as frequent as I’d like it to be, and the unfortunate truth is, a lot of the skilled players I run into aren’t exactly feeling inclined to make friends with someone they’re better than. In fact, they’re usually outright hostile. I understand they don’t owe me anything, so it’s no big deal! But it does leave me in a difficult position.

So I figured I’d ask here; not only where I can go to improve myself, but also, to explain my current position and equipment and see if any optimizing can be done.

I play a knight, and this is my usual loadout.

Primary weapon: Undecided. Right now, I alternate freely between longsword and bearded axe. I have no real preference. I don’t really use this weapon much unless I’m up against a vanguard using two-handers. I tend to prefer my secondary.

Secondary weapon: Falchion. My best weapon, by far. It’s what I’m most acquainted with, but I’m told sometimes that it’s a bit outdated. I’m curious to hear.

Third: Kite Shield. I like the balance of defense and visibility it offers, but should I be exploring the tower shield?

So if there’s anything I can do to improve that loadout, or if I should at least be trying other weapons, I’d be happy to. Beyond that, general advice about where I can consistently find good opponents would be appreciated.

One last note: I’m simply not interested in ProMod. I have NOTHING against people who prefer it, or the mod itself, I’m just of the personal habit of trying to optimize myself for whatever the current metagame is in a game, for better or worse. If I feel unsatisfied by the balance, I leave entirely. Thanks.

• Don’t play on pubs.

• @lemonater47:

Don’t play on pubs.

I don’t WANT to play with pubs. My goal in this thread is to ask where I find something that isn’t a pub. I don’t know where the not-pubs are. I want to be in the not-pubs.

• Try
    viewforum.php?f=76

join a clan, form a clan, join some private servers. ask in general about competitive private servers

• The Ffa duel servers on moore often have loads of good players. Look for ffa servers that have duel in the name.

• Try learning the messer and broadsword. Shields are only for archers. Maul is another great option. Aside from footwork, try to get the basics down like only parrying right before you take damage, mouse dragging and counter mouse dragging, when to riposte and how to force recovery parries to blow their stamina faster to give you the stamina lead.

I feel like the longsword can still hold its own in duels, but it’s trash in anything else now. The longsword is still okay to use IMO, but I think you would be better with the messer. The messer’s only fault pre-buffs was its long recovery, but since you can parry in recovery now and it got buffed on top of that, it’s really good right now. The broadsword is also really good and always has been because of its reach and fast combos. I think you would do better against MaAs and melee archers with the broad than the messer, but that’s just my opinion. The broad may also help against faster weapons like billhook and holy water sprinkler knights than your messer. Falchion just got nerfed hard, so it’s not really a good idea to use it right now. It’s too short and doesn’t have the damage to back it up, broad has all the speed you need and plenty of reach for arguably the same amount of damage.

As others said, join clan duel servers (that are FFA) and ask questions there. People from Interitus are almost always willing to answer questions and give great advice to those that are looking to become more competitive.

• Thanks for the info, mang. Would you say Maul/Broadsword is a potent combination? I actually do very well against MAA already, my only real issue lately has been very long-range vanguards who are extremely aggressive. I have trouble closing on them, though switching to longsword from falchion as helped.

• Yeah, I think maul/broadsword is a very solid setup as of this patch. It would definitely be worth investing time to learn it.

Aggressive vanguards require patience to beat, and while yes they will drain your stamina down faster just by you parrying them a lot, you can try to do things like force hit trades. One overhead to the head with a maul will oneshot a vanguard, 2 stabs to the torso and a hard kick will kill a vanguard with the longsword. Their stamina drain, knockback and flinch are all getting toned down in a patch that’s supposedly coming this month, so I think you’ll have an easier time fighting them then.

Forcing hit trades as a knight is an easy way to win a lot of fights, especially with the maul. An overhead torso to a vanguard with the maul and then a stab to the torso should also kill, I think. The maul’s stab is very very useful.

• @SOC:

Yeah, I think maul/broadsword is a very solid setup as of this patch. It would definitely be worth investing time to learn it.

Aggressive vanguards require patience to beat, and while yes they will drain your stamina down faster just by you parrying them a lot, you can try to do things like force hit trades. One overhead to the head with a maul will oneshot a vanguard, 2 stabs to the torso and a hard kick will kill a vanguard with the longsword. Their stamina drain, knockback and flinch are all getting toned down in a patch that’s supposedly coming this month, so I think you’ll have an easier time fighting them then.

Forcing hit trades as a knight is an easy way to win a lot of fights, especially with the maul. An overhead torso to a vanguard with the maul and then a stab to the torso should also kill, I think. The maul’s stab is very very useful.

Great! I’ll try the maul and messer out, see which I favour.

• Forcing hit trades as a knight is all well and good in duel mode but on the battlefield it’s a strategy that, in my opinion, should be used sparingly.

I noticed that you tried the kite shield; I’m having reasonable success with a kite shield/norse sword combo at the moment but the last patch wasn’t kind on shields. This loadout affords a fast weapon with the defensive capabilities of the shield; for me it works well against all but knights.

I’m undecided about what to use as the primary knight killer, I’m generally using the warhammer but I think that that is because I’m a fully paid up turtle at heart. As it’s tough being a turtle right now so I’d recommend taking someone else’s advice on the choice of primary.

• int | duels is a safe bet for finding some of the game’s more skilled players. Likewise, any clan TO server generally attracts higher ranked players.

If you want to consistently play against more skilled players, either try to friend the ones you come across or find a clan you like and join them.

• If you’re playing on EU. add me on steam id: Hitom. I can duel you for a bit if you’d like, mainly play vangaurd with greatsword. Rank 41 340 hours played.