Chivalry: Medieval Warfare as an esport.

• After playing the game for quite a bit and loving every minute of it I wanted to ask the devs if there is any way to create an esport out of Chivalry. It is fast paced, team based, and pretty well balanced. Perfect for competetive play. It has great modes and it is extremely unique.

So I would like to bring this to the table and ask what the public thinks and if the devs would like to pipe in that would be great. So, what does everyone think about this becoming an esport?

• AoC was, and the clans around are going to push for this to be, the objective maps are perfect for it. about half the time i’m pubbing i’m thinking of strats for certain maps, which routes to take and which objectives to do first. i can’t wait until this game releases to be able to scrim.

• Anything is possible. Granted, it’s going to take a lot of work, particularly balance work and with the transition of the competitive AoC clans, clan wars and the way they are handled should spread as we form a new league.

• clanwars were around in AOC and i would think they will continue within Chivalry.

• By clanwars do you mean organized and professional tournaments for money? Because that is what I mean by esport. Much like Counter-Strike or starcraft.

• I would personally love to see an esports community develop around Chivalry. :3

• I would not.

I think E-Sports is ruining gaming myself. Once a game has an E-Sports community, the general just dick-around and have fun gameplay goes away.

• @Mkilbride:

I would not.

I think E-Sports is ruining gaming myself. Once a game has an E-Sports community, the general just dick-around and have fun gameplay goes away.

That’s not really true. I play League of Legends, CSS, and starcraft for fun all the time and just dick around and enjoy my self with friends :)

• I call BS on DoTA, Starcraft, yes, that has only been mostly ruined, but UMS maps are still good. CS is only exempt because it is made up of mostly old-school gamers, from the late 90’s. Who know how to play competitively, but also have fun.

Not like todays E-Sport gamers who it’s VICTORY OR BITCH LIKE YOU WERE JUST STABBED OVER THE MIC.

• @Mkilbride:

I call BS on DoTA, Starcraft, yes, that has only been mostly ruined, but UMS maps are still good. CS is only exempt because it is made up of mostly old-school gamers, from the late 90’s. Who know how to play competitively, but also have fun.

Not like todays E-Sport gamers who it’s VICTORY OR BITCH LIKE YOU WERE JUST STABBED OVER THE MIC.

Haha well the two most succesful esports are CS and starcraft ;)

• The thing about this game as well, is that it would be insanely entertaining to watch.

• Got to agree with that ^

• @Mkilbride:

I would not.

The fact that mobas and starcraft have a shit community doesnt mean Chivalry would.

Also, if some match is ever broadcast, I want Tibbs and Sly commenting everything.

• Developer

What we’ve done with our combat could be absolutely amazing for an esport FPS. Something FPS games in general lack compared to strategy and fighting games for example is how fun they are to watch. I think chivalry could be one of the most interesting FPS games to watch because of how the combat works and its pacing.

When it comes to building this its all about the community, and anything is possible. But as martin said its gonna take a lot of work.
    While the game doesn’t have everything it needs to support an established esport scene it has enough to start it and we will support the game after release as much as we can.

Another big problem is the scale, I’ve played a lot of clan wars in other games and while their fun and can be taken very seriously i personally don’t see it as a viable way to be apart of esports right now. The industry just isn’t big enough to support it.
    I think for an esports scene to grow the teams would have to be fairly small, around the same size as CS and dota.
    The game is fantastic for clan wars though and i hope there can be room for both that and smaller teams, i would never want to just have either one of these.

Overall i think Torn banner has the potential to make one of the greatest FPS esport games ever, if chivalry is that game i don’t know, only time will tell.

• ide rather have a good ole fashioned clan war where bragging rights are the only prze, i remember the days when the Cyber Athletic League was running strong for games like cs/css ,dod and dods you had the most egotistical jerks on the planet running around on every server thinking they were the cats ass.

The Tournement that the devs held for AOC was great and im hoping they hold another just like it for Chivalry when things get going.

• @Rasmus:

What we’ve done with our combat could be absolutely amazing for an esport FPS. Something FPS games in general lack compared to strategy and fighting games for example is how fun they are to watch. I think chivalry could be one of the most interesting FPS games to watch because of how the combat works and its pacing.

When it comes to building this its all about the community, and anything is possible. But as martin said its gonna take a lot of work.
    While the game doesn’t have everything it needs to support an established esport scene it has enough to start it and we will support the game after release as much as we can.

Another big problem is the scale, I’ve played a lot of clan wars in other games and while their fun and can be taken very seriously i personally don’t see it as a viable way to be apart of esports right now. The industry just isn’t big enough to support it.
    I think for an esports scene to grow the teams would have to be fairly small, around the same size as CS and dota.
    The game is fantastic for clan wars though and i hope there can be room for both that and smaller teams, i would never want to just have either one of these.

Overall i think Torn banner has the potential to make one of the greatest FPS esport games ever, if chivalry is that game i don’t know, only time will tell.

I think 7 or 8 per team would make for a good scale in terms of esport play. And of course you must have the esport aspect as well as the clanwar aspect.

I own a server hosting company known as Warbawz. You can find us here: www.warbawz.com

If I were to host a tournament using our servers would you guys at Torn Banner support the endeavor and perhaps add a small prize to it? We would be able to give out free servers as our prize and perhaps a small cash prize as well. But would you support it and give it publicity and over all approve of it?

• As a very long time DotA player I definitely support this. DotA wouldn’t have lasted as long as it did without the competitive community, and thus wouldn’t have spawned an entirely new genre of games. Imagine if Chivalry could do the same thing? If it gained enough competitive popularity it could bring about a new era of great melee combat games and go down in history like CS, which pretty much pioneered online FPS for the mainstream

And the guy saying games becoming e-sports takes the fun out of it makes me chuckle. Needs to go check out some videos of SingSing or Dendi facerolling random DotA games with the silliest strategies ever developed while their enemies are “tryharding” - because even in a game with strict competitive character tiers and synergistic builds and playstyles like DotA, personal skill still triumphs over emulating what you see the tournament guys doing.

• Chivalry is the bomb mate! It’s fun to watch, has a unique fast paced combat - It’s just perfect for that.

• I seriously think that Chivalry:Medieval Warfare is the best video game that was ever created and that EVER WILL be created and so if i had a computer that can actually play it, it would be the only game i play on the computer besides runescape, although i would play this one way more.

However i do not agree in ANY video game becoming a “sport”, sports are suppose to be about exercising and going outside and using the body’s muscles to be healthy and ready in case a situation arises for when your body needs to respond. Making video games a sport give kids (in this case old teenagers and adults) an excuse not to do a real sport because they will give the excuse of being too busy with trying to make money off of playing a game and trying to stay staying “loyal” to a clan and people they have never even shook hands with and probably will never do it because it is over a virtual world. If i had a son who was in this “e-sport” business i would be disappointed i would rather have try his hand at a real sport or at least something where you play with real people and look at their face and not your computer screen the whole time like chess or something.

That’s just my opinion on E-sports but because E-sports apparently exist and there is nothing that can be done for there not to be any then i would say Hell-yeah to Chivalry having competitions, about time people start talking about something other than guns on Call of Duty.

• @Iron-Sentinel:

i would say Hell-yeah to Chivalry having competitions, about time people start talking about something other than guns on Call of Duty.

Amen to that brother.
    I can see Chivalry being an extremely successful “E-sport” if you take the whole street fighter or tekken franchise for example and look at how long its lasted thanks to its competitions.

Like Rasmus was saying about strategy and fighting games, THEY ARE FUN TO WATCH. I kind of view Chivalry as a huge fighting game anyway, with all the different attacks, parry’s and special moves(tools) you have at your disposal, its almost tailor made for big time competitive play!

Whew… :? I get pretty exited just thinking about it.