A demo idea.

• This works really well. MP games used to have Demo’s, to get you addicted, several MP demo’s got me to buy games in the past.

This is what it would be;

1 Class, man at arms playable, 1 map. It’d be limited to just that, to give players the taste and addiction.

This is how Aliens VS PRedator 2 got me addicted, with a free MP demo back in 2003 or so. It’s quite effective. No shut down period. Of course there will always be some whom just play the demo indefinitely, but obviously the demo won’t be updated, the other classes and maps won’t be playable, and just in general it’d be a good way to get people to buy the game.

I’m sure there will be free weekends in the future.

• I think it would be cool to offer a demo of the game that lets the player join any server they want, but restricts them to the vanguard class and only lets them use the billhook. No secondary or tertiary weapons. This way the servers can get populated by ‘poor knights’ (medieval knights who were poor and could not afford a halberd, and so bought a billhook instead).

This is both symbolic and factual: billhooks were really cheap to buy in medieval times, meaning that there were more billhook wielding foot soldiers than there was fully equipped knights. If someone wants to try the game, they can play the roll of one of the numerous foot soldiers, and can drool over all the weapons the paid players have.

Just an idea though, it might be a good one, might be a bad… 8-)

• The demos that get me are always the timed ones - the really good games can afford that, full access to everything (unless unlocks are involved) for a very limited time, say 30 minutes or an hour; by the end of it, you’re frustrated it’s over and you feel like you have to buy it just to continue.

• Nah, the timed ones suck.

And allowing them to join any server is way to indulgent. Just one map, perhaps, one half of a map, so not even the full thing, and only Man-At-Arms. Or Vanguard, as you said.

• i dont know, usually a p2p supremacy reins over the f2p players and trolls/bullies the f2p users, just look at tf2, before it became free, the only thing people had to complain about was people who are better than them, and now all i hear is people saying
    f2p noob! or get out f2per you homeless man!
    lol anyways a demo would be good, for people who can handle the abuse.

• What re you talking about?

It’s a demo version, not P2P or F2P or anything like that.

There would be demo only servers.

• @Viper:

I think it would be cool to offer a demo of the game that lets the player join any server they want, but restricts them to the vanguard class and only lets them use the billhook. No secondary or tertiary weapons. This way the servers can get populated by ‘poor knights’ (medieval knights who were poor and could not afford a halberd, and so bought a billhook instead).

This is both symbolic and factual: billhooks were really cheap to buy in medieval times, meaning that there were more billhook wielding foot soldiers than there was fully equipped knights. If someone wants to try the game, they can play the roll of one of the numerous foot soldiers, and can drool over all the weapons the paid players have.

UNBELIEVABLY bad idea.

1. Any server admin can enable the restricted content, even when the demo version hasn’t got the files for the other classes, you could just download it directly from the server.
    2. It is not meant to be strong versus weak. That would make a completely different game out of it.

• @PowerZ:

UNBELIEVABLY bad idea.

@Viper:

• @Viper:

@PowerZ:

UNBELIEVABLY bad idea.

@Viper:

So…? I was referring to that, you know.