Unblockable charge attacks

• Can someone please tell me how to block charge attacks?

I’ve noticed that post-patch, some of the VG charge attacks are either really hard to block or downright impossible. Especially charges at facehug range, no matter where you block, I always seem to get hit, like my opponent’s weapon is clipping through my shield. This effect is worst with side-swinging weapons ie. swords. I’ve tried blocking to the side, even at close to 90 degrees but the swing somehow seems to get through.

Stab charges are fast but they are still possible to block, just that its almost insta-connect at close range.

I like that VGs have had their abilities buffed, but at this point their charge is just unpredictable.

• +1

• I have no idea what you guys are talking about.

• @Jstorm:

I have no idea what you guys are talking about.

I’ll admit that I’ve experienced it before where it felt like the charge just went straight through my parry even though I turned into the sword strike tracers, but I haven’t been on the end of many close range charges so I couldn’t quite say for sure if this problem is widespread or if it is just me. If they are charging with one of the swords, if they reach you at the start of their “NOS powered boost” and you parry/block at what you feel is the right angle, it feels like it just goes through you and usually kills you.

Yet if you are at the end of the charge, where he slows down the the weapons arcs out and the charging player lands, this is a much more reliable way of blocking the attack. Yet when you are close to a Vanguard charging, it can feel like his attack goes through your block and you take the damage (even though you turn into the attack and look for the tracers).

My only explanation can be the charge either de-syncing or just the pure random factor that charge has at the moment where you can either charge and get a normal distance charge, or you can hit those little edges in the map floor which send you flying much much further than usual and at impossible speeds.

• @DokB:

@Jstorm:

I’ll admit that I’ve experienced it before where it felt like the charge just went straight through my parry even though I turned into the sword strike tracers, but I haven’t been on the end of many close range charges so I couldn’t quite say for sure if this problem is widespread or if it is just me. If they are charging with one of the swords, if they reach you at the start of their “NOS powered boost” and you parry/block at what you feel is the right angle, it feels like it just goes through you and usually kills you.

Yet if you are at the end of the charge, where he slows down the the weapons arcs out and the charging player lands, this is a much more reliable way of blocking the attack. Yet when you are close to a Vanguard charging, it can feel like his attack goes through your block and you take the damage (even though you turn into the attack and look for the tracers).

My only explanation can be the charge either de-syncing or just the pure random factor that charge has at the moment where you can either charge and get a normal distance charge, or you can hit those little edges in the map floor which send you flying much much further than usual and at impossible speeds.

I don’t get any if that. Maybe the fact that I play at max fps and make sure the server I’m playing in has less than 100 ping has a factor in it. but if you guys play under those circumstances and it still happens theeen idk…

• Happens with or without high ping (stable around 40-60) and at 30+ FPS so I dunno. :?

• Yeah I play on stable servers yet it still happens. It feels as though your opponent’s weapon just clips through your block. With the recent influx of new players I’ve been on the receiving end of a lot of charges, so I can attest to its randomness.

@Jstorm:

I don’t get any if that. Maybe the fact that I play at max fps and make sure the server I’m playing in has less than 100 ping has a factor in it. but if you guys play under those circumstances and it still happens theeen idk…

So which direction do you block when facing a close range sword charge?

• @Wangmaster:

Yeah I play on stable servers yet it still happens. It feels as though your opponent’s weapon just clips through your block. With the recent influx of new players I’ve been on the receiving end of a lot of charges, so I can attest to its randomness.

@Jstorm:

So which direction do you block when facing a close range sword charge?

The tip of his sword so about 45-90° to the left.

• @Jstorm:

“doesn’t happen to me so you guys are wrong”

I always play with 60 ping at 60+ fps. It happens.

• Global Moderator

@Psyfon:

@Jstorm:

“doesn’t happen to me so you guys are wrong”

I always play with 60 ping at 60+ fps. It happens.

No its…

“Doesn’t happen to me so you guys suck shit”.

• No it was “This doesn’t happen to me, I didn’t know this was a problem”.

And you guys are being “ProBitch Whore hurr durr”. Not everything I say has a negative meaning.

• I can confirm it. Most likely with stab attacks. Swing attacks do this sometimes, but are much less likely, at least if you know how to turn.

Many times the charge attacks seem buggy or they handle completely different than all other attacks in Chivalry. Their timing seems to be totally off sometimes, hitting in windup one time, hitting in parry recovery at other times, or seemingly hitting right through my parry despite the fact I aimed it with all my accumulated experience. I really started getting afraid of charge attacks simply because of how unpredictable they are, even if you clearly see them coming and your opponent doesnt do anything special.

oh, about 20 ping and stable 60 fps

• This happened to me for the first concrete time today, in a duel server. No apparent lag, no ping issues, 45 fps (hey, that’s a hell of a lot for me). I knew the charge was coming (gotta love those dummies who spend the first 15 seconds of the duel running around in circles), was unsure of whether I could dodge back in time or not (I was playing MAA) so I opted to eat the parry. And BAM, right through. I have ~250 hours in the game, I know how to parry.

The vanguard was using a bardiche if that’s of any use. Add this to the flying charge (charging off a slope) and sometimes the insta-charge animation for some stabs… it’s getting kinda frustrating.

• the bardiche is bad, they are fixing it… the charge hits before the animation completes. For the rest of them, some of the other weapons seem to do this but not sure if it’s ping or animation related. The charge attack is basically equivalent to what the maa superdodge was in attack form IMO. For longswords… you have to basically turn as far as you needed to with the falchion before, except on a very long weapon. I basically turn to where i can almost not see their blade anymore in order to block. If you’re using shield it’s no different, especially if it’s the buckler. I do think there’s an issue with the animations though, and every charge attack is different, even the slightest bit of elevation like a higher stone or something on the ground can cause it to go much further, very inconsistent…. proof? check out the one on shara’s most recent video… it’s right in the beginning.