Racial slurs: Why you should speak up.

• As I’m sure everyone on these forums is aware, a small minority of Chivalry players are racist or homophobic, and readily and regularly express their views in-game. While this problem is far from unique to Chivalry (and indeed, Chivalry suffers from this much less than many other games), it’s still common enough that a few times every evening I see people typing slurs in chat. I think most of you think you know where this is going.

But you’re wrong. I’m not calling for censorship. I’m not calling for an end to insults or banter or name-calling. I’m not even calling for votekicking offenders, unless the player in question is spamming the chat with insults and stopping others from talking. What I’d like is for people in the community to speak up and let others know that this sort of language is not okay.

Why? Not because it’s going to stop the offenders - they’re racist and nothing you can say or do through a computer screen will change that. Nor necessarily because gays, black or Jews feel insulted by it, although that in itself should be reason enough, if you care about those sorts of people. No, the real evil of this sort of language is that if you hear it over and over every day, some small corner of your brain becomes convinced it’s true. If you get called a faggot (or see others getting called faggots) every time you log on, you start to associate gays with weakness and shittiness and lesser persons. This is especially true of younger players, who are much more impressionable and haven’t yet got their moral compasses completely calibrated.

And when you just sit back and watch as “faggot” and “fucking Jew” roll through the chat, you’re tacitly agreeing with everything the offender says. If he can call people “homo” the whole game long and no-one says anything, well obviously the rest of the community is okay with it. Perhaps that particular player hasn’t annoyed us, or perhaps we’re simply too busy to shout out the insults ourselves, but we’d probably call people the same thing if we could be bothered to take the time to type, right?

So next time you see someone called a “nigger” in Chivalry, take a few seconds to politely ask the offender to stop. Something as simple as "please don’t use that sort of language here" lets the other 30 players on the server know that the majority of the Chivalry community is not racist or homophobic, and that calling others by those sort of names is not an okay thing to do. With a bit of luck, you’ll prevent some teenager from growing up thinking it’s okay to parrot those phrases in online games.

And who knows? Maybe you’ll make some racist have second thoughts too. :)

• I agree. There needs some resistance to their filthy efforts. People being quiet just makes it look like racism is the norm in Chiv.

• Not tolerated on games on net servers down here. Its a temp ban no warning. Off 27 servers were 90% of the playerbase plays.

• @lemonater47:

Not tolerated on games on net servers down here. Its a temp ban no warning. Off 27 servers were 90% of the playerbase plays.

To be honest, I’ve never seen anyone banned for racial slurs (although I play mostly NW NA servers.) And if it is happening, there’s lots more people coming in to replace them, to the point where I’ve seen this sort of language much more often in recent months.

• @DifferentFrogs:

@lemonater47:

Not tolerated on games on net servers down here. Its a temp ban no warning. Off 27 servers were 90% of the playerbase plays.

To be honest, I’ve never seen anyone banned for racial slurs (although I play mostly NW NA servers.) And if it is happening, there’s lots more people coming in to replace them, to the point where I’ve seen this sort of language much more often in recent months.

Well look at my location. I wouldn’t think it would make much of a difference where you are.

• we’ve always run servers where general insults are fine, but draw the line at racism as all it’s doing is giving the impression to idiot visitors that that sort of thing is acceptable.

In previous games, we used rcon admin tools to monitor chat and warn/kick/ban as appropriate. This sort of thing is sorely missed in chivalry. (such as procon in Battlefield 3)

Am not sure I agree with your letting them know it’s not ok: a decent sentiment, however I suspect the main culprits are essentially trolling kids who are out to get a rise. If they can provoke a response from a load of members of a server I suspect that’s their goal and they’ll just do it more.

• These words are permanent staples in competitive gaming and I don’t think Chivalry has a community small or mature enough to eradicate them. Around the very early 2000’s, the word “nigger” really took off among 15 year old boys as the hyper offensive insult to use online because they were taught how taboo it was in school and growing up.

Unfortunately that word (and those like it) spiraled out of control and some kids still see it as the epitome of all that is “edgy” and insensitive, so as long as this game (and all others) have late Millennial Generation players, these words will continue to exist.

I don’t think any sensible person could be truly offended when called one of these names, especially online in a game - we’re all mostly adults here, and these are just words. There’s a major factor with redundancy though, and to me insults like this are about one thousand times more worn out and boring than they are offensive.

• I would change the title of the thread. If a mod see its this thread could be locked.

• @Hotdog:

These words are permanent staples in competitive gaming and I don’t think Chivalry has a community small or mature enough to eradicate them. Around the very early 2000’s, the word “nigger” really took off among 15 year old boys as the hyper offensive insult to use online because they were taught how taboo it was in school and growing up.

Unfortunately that word (and those like it) spiraled out of control and some kids still see it as the epitome of all that is “edgy” and insensitive, so as long as this game (and all others) have late Millennial Generation players, these words will continue to exist.

I don’t think any sensible person could be truly offended when called one of these names, especially online in a game - we’re all mostly adults here, and these are just words. There’s a major factor with redundancy though, and to me insults like this are about one thousand times more worn out and boring than they are offensive.

Exactly the right attitude. Guys are being called nigger/jew even though they ain’t black or jewish.

• I should point out that, for the sake of this conversation, the word “Jew” never became such a mainstream insult until young boys started watching and poorly absorbing South Park. If you ask any rambunctious 16 year old why he doesn’t like Jewish people, he’ll at most be able to tell you that “they’re money hungry”.

Again, doesn’t really add substance to this topic, but it sort of shows the people who overuse and throw around these words so regularly can’t be reasoned with. They don’t know exactly what they’re saying, but they think it’s funny and, above all else, so full of edge that it should be earth shattering for anyone around them to hear it.

• Never drop a hard R

• @hamster:

@Hotdog:

These words are permanent staples in competitive gaming and I don’t think Chivalry has a community small or mature enough to eradicate them. Around the very early 2000’s, the word “nigger” really took off among 15 year old boys as the hyper offensive insult to use online because they were taught how taboo it was in school and growing up.

Exactly the right attitude. Guys are being called nigger/jew even though they ain’t black or jewish.

Its not te people who its aimed at. That’s what you guys don’t see. Its the actual black people and Jews they are insulting. In the insulters mind he regards black people equal to idiots or something. That’s why he is using that word as an insult.

There’s no soft way of putting it I’m afraid.

I mean you can actually call those people who do it Nazi’s. I’ve seen that happen before. A guy was calling people niggers and he then got calle a nazi. And he didn’t take it too well.

• Even setting aside the likelihood that these words hurt someone on the server personally, that they are being used as derogatory terms at all is a serious problem that honestly doesn’t belong in this society. I can’t personally take offense if somebody insults me in such a way, but I am offended by this behaviour, the precedent it sets, and the problems it perpetuates. While I certainly do not tolerate this type of behaviour on my server, here in SE Asia it’s not such a big problem.

• @lemonater47:

@hamster:

@Hotdog:

Its not te people who its aimed at. That’s what you guys don’t see. Its the actual black people and Jews they are insulting. In the insulters mind he regards black people equal to idiots or something. That’s why he is using that word as an insult.

There’s no soft way of putting it I’m afraid.

I mean you can actually call those people who do it Nazi’s. I’ve seen that happen before. A guy was calling people niggers and he then got calle a nazi. And he didn’t take it too well.

OK, so are you suggesting that these people genuinely believe they are directing insults at black, Jewish and gay people? Or are you saying these words should be discouraged because their very existence hurts the spirit of the people in question, irregardless of whether or not they’re actually reading it?

• I am heavily involved in law and social philosophy, so I figured that I would weigh in on this topic.

The term “nigger” isn’t merely some edgily used term employed by 15 year olds. There are two fundamental causes of this usage:

1. “Nigga”: We’ve all heard it. Nigga this, nigga that. Much of the black community spews this filth at each other. Probably one of the main reasons the term has survived.

2. Adherence to stereotype: Look at who is in the forefront of black publicity. Lil Wayne? Future? Many of the race even say that president Obama is a “non-black uncle Tom.” When you have these people who act ridiculous, buck-dance, promote violence and promiscuity, impress degenerate behavior upon the youth… When you have these people, you have something separate from the socially respectful. Martin Luther King Jr. himself admitted that it was “not the color of the skin, but the content of the character;” he also acknowledged that he believed there was a difference between “niggers” and black people.

In essence, we see the term “nigger” evolve; it becomes a reputable insult because it represents a morally degenerate social construct. THAT is why so many people spout it; I guarantee you that many of those people have black friends in the workplace, at school, wherever. (I kid you not, a fellow student wrote a senior thesis on this subject and passed with flying colors.)

• Not justifying, only arguing that there are different roots behind insults. Terminology is always evolving.

Also, if your sense of social justice blindly promotes censorship or admonishing of constitutional rights (if you are American,) I inherently glare at your argument.

• What a hateful title. In the rare event I see obscene bile that I cannot stand I mute, announce to all the new players how they can mute, vote kick the offender and that is that. Sometimes he gets voted sometimes not, in either case he is muted and anyone paying attention to chat sees my mute instructions.

• Because it unfortunately happens so much, whenever someone is spouting racists insults in the chat you learn to tune out when it happens. “Oh geez, another racists jerk, whatever,” and you move on, maybe even leave the server. I agree with the OP, this is something that should be discouraged and stopped, and I think ignoring it is not the right way to deal with it. I’ll try to address this more often now in games whenever someone decides to be a racist, I’ll call them on it.

• @magilla:

Also, if your sense of social justice blindly promotes censorship or admonishing of constitutional rights (if you are American,) I inherently glare at your argument.

It’s not really a question of legality. You are welcome to hide behind the first amendment if it makes you feel better about using hate speech, however, when you are in other people’s territory (servers) you play by their rules.

Freedom of speech is a wonderful thing, but being protected by it does not make your actions right; you alone bear the responsibility to be a good person.

• Dont see any more racism here than anywhere else on the internetsss.

When they get killed, kids will call people ‘nigger/faggot/jew’ when hidden in their room behind their keyboards, who cares?

In reality they probably dont actually walk around with swastikas carved into the backs of their shaved heads and beat black children to death prior having a nice, relaxing evening in, playing white/white chess with Nick Griffin before retiring to bed with chapter 3 of Mein Kampf. Its a kid, in his room, trying to offend people for lulz/in rage.

In getting all tear-streaked about it, your sort of letting them win. In this situation, the offenders and the offendees need to just grow up… :P.