Why do people play Archer?

• When I heard of Chivalry I immediately envisaged the melee carnage, but as it turns out people just love to play ranged in a hack and slash game.

I gave archer a few games to see what people found so entertaining and was bemused. It doesn’t feel exciting killing someone 100 metres away, it’s just another number to my score. The weapons have long reload times before you can fire again, so much of the time is idling and missing shots is quite punishing for the fluidity of your game.

I typically play Vanguard so shield isn’t an option and archers ruin the experience for me. In a 32 player game, i’ll die 9/10 to an archer while i’m fighting someone else or just spawning and walking back to the fight. It is NOT enjoyable to spawn, run for quite some time to reach the fight and to then immediately be killed by 47 circlejerking crossbowmen only to have to run back again.

So, it’s boring to play [in my opinion] it detracts from the otherwise skillful gameplay as a whole, so why play it?

• In organised team games you could defend against archers with a simple row of knight/maa shields, but then that requires some teamwork.

I guess people choose archer for the same reason that people like playing darts, or archery in real life. It’s a game of skill to hit a moving target, frustrating when you miss, with long reload times.

Archers serve important defence and cover roles, stopping people from just charging forward in a straight line. They probably see the vanguard style of play as being rubbish… in the middle of a group of enemies and friends swinging wildly around without pinpoint accuracy that their class requires.

Besides think of that lovely feeling when you dodge a hail of arrows and lay waste a group of archers with a polehammer while they’re busy trying to switch to their breadknife alternate weapons :D

• Vanguard smoke.

Archers can’t shoot you or are forced to move.

• Use shields, that will make the Archers having a hard time hitting you, and when the enemy team’s archer can’t get you, they will have a weak melee force to fight you with.

• @placentoid:

Rant

I also play an archer because it takes an immense amount of concentration for me to be an effective melee combatant with a javelin and shield or because its more tactical to use a crossbow to kill the royal heirs in dark forest than it is to try and charge through a wall of knights.

I think that every weapon combination and class has it’s own place in chivalry and that each of these has it’s own skill ladder. I would suggest also that if you find archers to be your weak-point that you play the class yourself to find out where the class is weak and how you could exploit these weaknesses to become better with your favorite class (Which i understand is vanguard).

• archers have no rl friends.

• @MonkeyFiend:

They probably see the vanguard style of play as being rubbish… in the middle of a group of enemies and friends swinging wildly around without pinpoint accuracy that their class requires.

LOL - what a biased response, vanguards “swing wildly” while archers need “pinpoint accuracy”.

Archers - I spec a lot and what I see is easy killing for archers. The pinpoint accuracy is in your head - the reality is spam shots. Shot after shot, most miss, some hit. But it’s all free shots, with very little pressure and with no real chance for the target to return damage.
    That’s why so many new players play archer - easy kills without much reply.

• @placentoid:

When I heard of Chivalry I immediately envisaged the melee carnage, but as it turns out people just love to play ranged in a hack and slash game.

I gave archer a few games to see what people found so entertaining and was bemused. It doesn’t feel exciting killing someone 100 metres away, it’s just another number to my score. The weapons have long reload times before you can fire again, so much of the time is idling and missing shots is quite punishing for the fluidity of your game.

I typically play Vanguard so shield isn’t an option and archers ruin the experience for me. In a 32 player game, i’ll die 9/10 to an archer while i’m fighting someone else or just spawning and walking back to the fight. It is NOT enjoyable to spawn, run for quite some time to reach the fight and to then immediately be killed by 47 circlejerking crossbowmen only to have to run back again.

So, it’s boring to play [in my opinion] it detracts from the otherwise skillful gameplay as a whole, so why play it?

Other classes get boring. There are some no archer servers and archer limitted servers. Try to keep your enemies back to their archers. Take the path less traveled and murder those archer scum :).

• caution, rant/blog:

Have just started trying to play as archer after almost always choosing vanguard > knight > maa depending on the situation - not because I’ve become good at those classes - just fancied a change. As archer, I get one shot off, sometimes (if I’m lucky) it hits, then switch to secondary and get involved. It definitely takes more patience than I have to be an archer :)

One thing I do now understand from the times I have managed to stick with a bow/crossbow is the temptation to become useless to the fight. It’s a lot less fun concentrating on enemy archers or supporting your team with the objective than it is farming a spawn corridor or taking potshots into melee and risking needless TKs.

I still don’t understand firing out of spawn or just in front of it, especially on the map where you have to kill the peasants - I’ve specced archers that do this and they’re having next to no impact on the objective - firing into never-ending melee at the village entrance instead of taking out peasants at long range. Kind of infuriating seeing rounds lost because half a team has gone archer and decided to hang back at spawn and let the enemy come to them.

Don’t know how the points system works, but maybe archers should get more points for killing other archers, or enemies on ballistas/catapults, or less points for firing from spawn - something/anything to encourage them out of their own spawns and away from the temptation to risk unnecessary TKs. Have seen games with just a couple of archers playing properly and they’ve really turned the tide, but more than I can remember where an excess of useless archers has screwed everything up.

Favourite weapon so far is probably one of the spears or the sling. Can’t hurt much with the sling, but it’s good for knocking people off guard as you try to run past them, and it’s bloody hilarious when you do get a kill. Also seems a lot more intimidating than the bow/crossbow, have had people retreat while I’m spinning a pebble and yelling insults at them, presumably because they think i’ll do something other than miss and get my head cut off.

• People play archer because they’re easy to win with. They’re safe and at no risk except to other archers. They’re by far the best class in the game currently and have been since release. Smoke, shields, serpentine, cover, unpredictable movement, whatever, it can only increase your chances of not getting hit, not make you immune to it. You just have to hope the archers are bad and don’t hit you, then hope this community and the devs finally realize how OP they are and fundamentally change how they play.

Torn Banner didn’t expect archers to be this good at aiming and landing shots when they developed this game. That’s why they’re so OP now. If you look at damage dealt/KDR for archers, you’ll notice it’s pretty “in-line” with melees usually, but a skilled archer can easily trump any player in the game regardless of the skill of that player unless they’re also playing archer. Usually, skilled archers are the only thing that kills a skilled knight or vanguard. Not because knights or vanguards are “OP” without archers, but because archers are OP and the only thing that kills skilled archers are other archers.

The only way to beat archer is to play archer. That’s OP.

• Even I have wondered why it seems all the low rank players immediately go to archer when the game is advertised as melee focused. I guess the demand is high for a medieval archery fps or something :P

• @catsponge:

@MonkeyFiend:

They probably see the vanguard style of play as being rubbish… in the middle of a group of enemies and friends swinging wildly around without pinpoint accuracy that their class requires.

LOL - what a biased response, vanguards “swing wildly” while archers need “pinpoint accuracy”.

Archers - I spec a lot and what I see is easy killing for archers. The pinpoint accuracy is in your head - the reality is spam shots. Shot after shot, most miss, some hit. But it’s all free shots, with very little pressure and with no real chance for the target to return damage.
    That’s why so many new players play archer - easy kills without much reply.

You have no sense for rhetoric at all, have you?

The #1 reason why I play archer is because I found NO other game that even comes close to what archery should be in a video game. Chivalry is the first game I got in which archery fully depends on player skill, not stupid hitchance values or a hybrid of hitchance + auto aim (e.g. skyrim).

• Many people including myself simply leave the server when they see more than 3 archers per side

First of all , they are totally overpowered against knights in full plate armor ( even bodkin arrowhead should be weak against full plate , except at very close range and even then , it would just penetrate a few milimeters ) , secondly they have way to many arrows (35 plus ammo box ?! make them really slow moving then )

But more importantly , the daggers are way too powerful against knights and vanguard wearing chain mail and/or plate armor , a dagger is totally hopeless in real life in a such situation and there’s no way a frail untrained archer in melee can even contemplate to tackle a men at arms with a small dagger , let alone a knight . Then cherry on the cake , they get no stamina loss for pulling 70kg of a warbow per shot … come on ; )

The thing Torn Banner studio should realize is that archers are totally ruining some servers and their game as a consequence due to the high numbers of them , they should limit this class to 1 archers for every 10 melee fighters , currently archers are almighty and way too numerous , there should be a hard limit on every server on them , otherwise one may just go play another FPS like Red orchestra or Arma , at least you can fire back .

Chivalry is not a simulation of medieval field battles with archers , matchlocks and cavalry , it(s a game in a medieval setting depicting fantasy small scale engagements mainly between melee troops . If archers have their place in this game , then it should be a modest one , cause they are fun to play for sure , but they also make the game a lot less fun for the others who play this game to have some melee gameplay

If it was up to me : Archers would be much slower moving (they are not special forces , their talent is just to fire a bow and that’s it ) , they 'd have max 20 arrows with no ammo boxes , arrows would be useless against plate armour and much less powerful at range , their dagger would eat up more of their stamina if they try to parry a warhammer or any heavy weapon , and i would limit them to 1 archers for every 10 players , i’d also make the sling a lot less powerful and accurate and slower to reload but more efficient against knights in armour , and javelinmen to have a longer windup before throwing because it(s ridiculous how they can shotgun anything atm

• The only ranged weapons that have more than 20 shots are special quickfire weapons, e.g. shortbow which require 3 hits and more to kill a target. Daggers are quick but inferior to any other weapon in all other possible weaponstats and even if they weren’t, vanguards and maa mostly have access to the same secondaries.
    Bringing realism to the game means your character should be unable to move any further after 30mins of jogging in platemail with towershield and mace, arrows would be unable to harm knights at all while crossbows oneshot everyone through armors and shields. However both ranged weapontype have projectile speeds hardly visible to your distracted eyes so you won’t be able to dodge them over 80y and certainly not while standing right in their face.
    You just posted crude archer rant #9536. Unfortunatly this is not a winning number. Feel free to try again <3

• The severe archer hate never used to be such an issue, but something went truly wrong a little while back. Maybe when they adjusted team damage?
    Getting shot by an archer when you’re by yourself is completely justifiable, and getting shot when you are in a melee should definitely be okay too.
    The issue I see here - Well, what frustrates me ;), is that the archer has no reason to be afraid of accidentally hitting their teammate, so they don’t hesitate to shoot at you when you are completely preoccupied in a melee.

I suggest some kind of minor penalty when an archer shoots a teammate, maybe a temporary damage reduction? friendly fire cooldown? Or just have higher team damage? This encourages more precise and confident aiming in those situations.

Thoughts?

• Because they can dish out damage with relatively little risk to themselves, much like snipers in modern-day shooters. But it’s worse, because even when their position is compromised and they’re forced into melee combat, they’re more than capable of neutralizing their attacker. Or they just run back towards their teammates like a bitch.

It’s gotten to the point where if archers don’t comprise at least 40 to 50 percent of the enemy team (especially defenders), I thank the old gods and new for granting the server this rare blessing. Little shits simply suck the fun out of the melee experience. If it isn’t someone shooting and killing you when you’re engaged in a duel, it’s somebody shooting and flinching you, or another taking out more than half of your health as you sprint of your spawn, or some moronic teammate firing willy-nilly into a crowd of friend and foe and killing you.

• Sometimes I do wonder if the game wouldn’t have been better without archery.

However, I suspect the player base would be worse than it already is.

• @Escadin:

The #1 reason why I play archer is because I found NO other game that even comes close to what archery should be in a video game. Chivalry is the first game I got in which archery fully depends on player skill… .

I find it really interesting that so many players really enjoy it more than the melee - I’ve always felt that the ranged combat in this game was a bit weak in comparison, more of an afterthought. I know a few reviewers made this point as well, but each to his own I guess.

@magilla:

Sometimes I do wonder if the game wouldn’t have been better without archery.

It wouldn’t be better in the same way that TF2 wouldn’t be better if you removed Spies/Snipers entirely. As with all class-based multiplayer games, it works best when teams are more-or-less balanced, both against each other and within the teams in terms of who’s playing what.

There are quite a few privately run servers with class caps for archers at around 25% per team (in the EU anyway), but they’re getting increasingly hard to get into these days :D.

• @Humber:

@Escadin:

The #1 reason why I play archer is because I found NO other game that even comes close to what archery should be in a video game. Chivalry is the first game I got in which archery fully depends on player skill… .

I find it really interesting that so many players really enjoy it more than the melee - I’ve always felt that the ranged combat in this game was a bit weak in comparison, more of an afterthought. I know a few reviewers made this point as well, but each to his own I guess.

I know it was very noticably in release version but got a bit better with the archer buff (to the detriment of some melee enthusiast) and eventually I learned to be content with what I have. Melee feels definetly better even for me, but still the archery part is way superior to any other game. If people told me to leave and play my beloved archer class in some other game, I honestly wouldn’t know where to go…

• I main an archer IRL, so that’s why I play archer. But I’m currently the victim of a shoulder injury, so I’ve been gaming more than shooting.

Archery was fun until everyone started playing it. It was good, it was clean. Now I feel compelled to play something else so I don’t fall in with the rabble.