Authentication Failed

• hey, I tried to enter my own server today and the error message Authentication Failed showed up back to me. I tried restarting steam and everything but that didnt work. I later found out that I couldnt connect to anything at all

my ID: http://steamcommunity.com/id/thedakilven 317 hours played and not on any trial or demo (the vac ban showed up today)

I also couldn’t connect to official servers for a while but that didnt bother me because I was on my own server 90% of the time.

This was working fine yesterday, can someone explain to me whats the deal?

edit: I added kimiko and slygoat on steam but they’ve been offline for quite a while

• update: slygoat and kimiko are either refusing my request or steam’s buggy

sadface

• Ah sorry, I don’t accept friend requests from people I don’t know. Good thing I saw this thread.

Is your Vac ban a new thing? And if so, it will tell you what games you have been vac banned for. Can you check to see if Chivalry is the game?

I just checked your vac ban and you definitely were recently banned.

• Global Moderator

Is there an option for server owners to make it so VAC is disabled?

• @Kimiko:

Ah sorry, I don’t accept friend requests from people I don’t know. Good thing I saw this thread.

Is your Vac ban a new thing? And if so, it will tell you what games you have been vac banned for. Can you check to see if Chivalry is the game?

I just checked your vac ban and you definitely were recently banned.

Yes, I was vac banned this morning (no bans on record before yesterday) and although I cant figure out for sure (clicking Info just leads me to an explanation of what VAC is) I’m certain it was for chivalry as every other Valve game works. That’s incredibly confusing as I almost exclusively play on my own server since i’ve been banned from official servers for months now.

@lemonater47:

Is there an option for server owners to make it so VAC is disabled?

If there is I’d like to know how because I’d hate the feeling of having bought a 20$ digital paperweight, even though only hackers would frequent my server.

• Mod

If you want to disable VAC on a home server, in the file UDKGame\Config\DefaultEngine.ini

under Section
    [OnlineSubsystemSteamworks.OnlineSubsystemSteamworks]

bUseVAC=true

However I can see no reason to have VAC disabled. False positives are incredibly rare and usually get sorted out pretty quickly.

Frankly I wouldn’t play on a server without it. Assuming the vac ban is legit (and they usually are) then you got what you deserved (expect bro/sis/dog installed cheats or just testing out a hack on a local server type excuses) and imo should be globally banned from all steam games - when a new key costs a couple of dollars is not much of a deterrent, compared to losing your entire library.

• Like I have announced, we have taken measures regarding hacking and this is the result.

I’m not sure how it works when you have your own server and disabling VAC to play on it. Try out what MonkeyFiend said and see if it works. If not, I’m afraid this is why you don’t use cheats :/.

• @Kimiko:

If not, I’m afraid this is why you don’t use cheats :/.

What I did on my server, in company of steam friends (who aren’t banned despite actually hacking on other people’s servers), got me banned from all Chivalry servers? Thats absurd, I never knew there was any anti-cheat enabled anywhere. Nothing told me during server setup that I’d be banned from all official servers if I did ‘this’ or ‘that’ in my own server. If T.B. is going to ninja the server-owners an anti cheat, can you atleast make it obvious next time?

Speaking of cheats, I haven’t had an actual hack program installed on my computer since I was banned from official servers. I was fine with being banned from official servers, but what the hell possessed you all at Torn Banner to ninja me and all unwitting server owners an anticheat that would ban me from every server. Are you sure you guys didn’t just transfer a list of names that were banned from official servers to whoever’s in charge of VAC? That would explain the very sudden ban that morning after months of legit playing.

@MonkeyFiend:

If you want to disable VAC on a home server, in the file UDKGame\Config\DefaultEngine.ini

under Section
    [OnlineSubsystemSteamworks.OnlineSubsystemSteamworks]

bUseVAC=true

However I can see no reason to have VAC disabled. False positives are incredibly rare and usually get sorted out pretty quickly.

Thank you for the guide, I’m going to disable VAC so I can actually play the game I payed for now. I’ll post back here if it doesn’t work to then which I’ll tear off my shirt and begin my transformation into the hulk.

Thanks Torn Banner!

• Mod

I think many games have anti-cheat enabled by default. If you want it off, it’s something you’d normally have to turn off yourself and is fairly reasonable to be enabled by default. Playing games through steam has a bit regarding their anti-cheat when you sign up to steam

Additionally I believe the use of such cheats break the games ToS/Eula (since they are typically memory injectors interfering with 3rd party copyrighted code)

btw VAC bans are staggered. If a ban was instant the hack creators would find out soon, a handful of people would get banned and the hack creators (usually on subscription) would mark their hacks as detected, therefore when a new hack is detected by VAC they often don’t enforce bans right away, it gives more of an opportunity to pick up more people with that particular hack. So being banned after the fact is not uncommon

*btw before I get accused of being a hacker, the opposite: I used to do some some work for PB on the battlefield series

** yes yes… I feel free to whinge about PB :P

• @MonkeyFiend:

I think many games have anti-cheat enabled by default. If you want it off, it’s something you’d normally have to turn off yourself and is fairly reasonable to be enabled by default. Playing games through steam has a bit regarding their anti-cheat when you sign up to steam

Additionally I believe the use of such cheats break the games ToS/Eula (since they are typically memory injectors interfering with 3rd party copyrighted code)

btw VAC bans are staggered. If a ban was instant the hack creators would find out soon, a handful of people would get banned and the hack creators (usually on subscription) would mark their hacks as detected, therefore when a new hack is detected by VAC they often don’t enforce bans right away, it gives more of an opportunity to pick up more people with that particular hack. So being banned after the fact is not uncommon

*btw before I get accused of being a hacker, the opposite: I used to do some some work for PB on the battlefield series

** yes yes… I feel free to whinge about PB :P

Chivalry didnt even have any anti-cheat before a few days ago if I’m correct.

• @DahDakilven:

What I did on my server, in company of steam friends (who aren’t banned despite actually hacking on other people’s servers), got me banned from all Chivalry servers? Thats absurd, I never knew there was any anti-cheat enabled anywhere. Nothing told me during server setup that I’d be banned from all official servers if I did ‘this’ or ‘that’ in my own server. If T.B. is going to ninja the server-owners an anti cheat, can you atleast make it obvious next time?

Speaking of cheats, I haven’t had an actual hack program installed on my computer since I was banned from official servers. I was fine with being banned from official servers, but what the hell possessed you all at Torn Banner to ninja me and all unwitting server owners an anticheat that would ban me from every server. Are you sure you guys didn’t just transfer a list of names that were banned from official servers to whoever’s in charge of VAC? That would explain the very sudden ban that morning after months of legit playing.

Chivalry was always VAC secured. We’ve talked about hack prevention and new measures plenty of time, so it’s not a new development. If you were already banned from official servers, that should be an indication as well.

If you have a problem with being VAC banned, you need to contact VALVE as they are the ones who banned you.

• @Kimiko:

Chivalry was always VAC secured. We’ve talked about hack prevention and new measures plenty of time, so it’s not a new development. If you were already banned from official servers, that should be an indication as well.

If you have a problem with being VAC banned, you need to contact VALVE as they are the ones who banned you.

FEAR NOT KIMIKO

the UNITED CRUSTACEAN CRABATHAN CLASSIC DUEL SERVER hath been established. This time WITHOUT any LOBSTER-CREATED “VAC”.

WE HAVE ALREADY SET CRUSTACEANSOUP, YOUR CRAB WORLD DEVELOPER, FREE FROM THE LOBSTERS AT TORN BANNER. HE IS ONE OF US NOW.

THE SERVER IS NOT OPEN 24/7, BUT WILL BE SOON! ALL LOBSTERS SHALL TREMBLE!

link TO THE STEAM GROUP!

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/crabatha

THIS TECHNICAL SUPPORT ISSUE HAS BEEN RESOLVED BY THE POWER OF CRABATHA AND MAY BE CLOSED