Question about spawning (example map)

• This is a two part question, I’m building my map around the example TDM map included then deleting the default meshes and spawns. I’ve gotten the basic infrastructure created, but the spawns are messing me up.

I’ve noticed that the default spawns (AOC playerstarts) all have a green line coming off that seems to connect them to an invisible central point under the floor. Does anybody know what exactly this is? It stays connected when I move the spawn as well.

Also, where are the AOC playerstarts in the content browser? I can’t find them in the actor classes, which is where I’d assume they would be.

Any help appreciated, thanks!

• Take a look at this page it should cover what u need https://tornbannerjira.atlassian.net/wi … vel+Design
    AOC playerstarts are in the actor classes under NavigationPoint -> PlayerStart -> AOCPlayerStart

the green line i have no clue what it does but u need it so the spawn works, if u place ur spawn u have to rebuild paths wich can be found in the menu.

*edit friend of mine thought it was use for “It could be pathing to show the spawn where to put it’s feet when spawning, e.g no floating in the aim/abyss”

• Yeah all the player starts have that green line, they should work though as long as they’re in a flat spot with enough room to spawn, there are path nodes and/or pylons and you’ve built paths.

• The green line is nothing to worry about. Default UDK maps have this as well. It usually points to the terrain, but without terrain, just off into space.

Make sure you build paths before trying to play. And be sure your world properties are correct. Specifically, the Play in Editor and default Game modes.

• If you have a hard time searching for them in the actor tab, Type “player” into the search and aoc player start will be right there :)

• Thanks for all the replies guys! I still have no idea what paths actually are, that seems like the last hurdle before the map can be cooked. And that’s what YouTube is for. Then onto the cosmetics, and then hopefully a beta release!

• I think you’re talking about attachment. UDK often attach path to terrain or static meshes with no reason. Try tto set attachment to none in the playerstart properties.

Pathnode are use to create pathfinding that is where the bots will actually go, which path will they take. In every map you need to build path because player start are just specifics pathnodes that define where you player spawn.

Pathnode are essential in Level Design they represent the circulation Whether it be for bot or player. It’s a clear representation of what path you’re player can take in your level.

Don’t forget to change light from preview to production before you cooked

• @Goomba:

I think you’re talking about attachment. UDK often attach path to terrain or static meshes with no reason. Try tto set attachment to none in the playerstart properties.

Pathnode are use to create pathfinding that is where the bots will actually go, which path will they take. In every map you need to build path because player start are just specifics pathnodes that define where you player spawn.

Pathnode are essential in Level Design they represent the circulation Whether it be for bot or player. It’s a clear representation of what path you’re player can take in your level.

Don’t forget to change light from preview to production before you cooked

Awesome info man, thanks!

• You’re welcome ;)

• One question: Why would I need to set paths if there are no bots? Players aren’t bound by pathnodes at all, are they?

• No players are not yet as i mentioned a player spawn is a specific pathnode. So if you don’t build path, palyer spawn will never recognized and player won’t be able to play.

You can all use the build all option, right next the light icon with an eye (mode preview). the build all option will build geometry, path, cover and light automatically.