Ping being part of your "skill"

• I noticed that your ping will make a difference depending on who get’s the first hit. I’ll start of directly by saying that; when I met some people with around 20 ping, I got hit before the sword passed through me. This happened very often with them, probably not always since your ping, or response time, isn’t always the same, and I didn’t check the whole match either.
    Anyway, it also seems that when I battle with people with a ping close to mine, it seems that the battle is more “connected”. I’m always around 85 btw.
    Then there’s the moments when you teleport forward a meter or two. That happens, surprisingly, at as little as 150 ping. I see the same thing happen to other people to, when they’re that high.

It’s too bad that it has to be this way, and it never happens in other games. I’ve heard people have speculated this, but I’m pretty sure that the reason behind this, is that everything happens on the server, and THEN sends the information to the computers, instead of happening locally, and then sending it.
    I have a strong feeling that’s also the reason for many bugs like, ghost swings, blocks not working etc.

If it were to be changed, it would probably take a looong time, but would it fix the problem? I’m pretty sure it would, but I obviously don’t know for sure.
    I just think it’s sad for people with no super internet that they have a disadvantage.
    Thanks for reading! :D

TL;DR: Having a higher ping puts you in a disadvantage.

• This is the case with all games, and 85 is kinda high. 40-60 is average and less than 40 is stellar. I’m usually at 15-50 on servers I join.

• I know exactly one server that can hold stable 20-30ms for about half the time and only as long as the current map isn’t citadel. I know this is not on my end because usually EVERYONE’s latency is 80-130 and I’m mostly towards the 80.
    However what OP describes is based on latency differences so I really rarely experience it since the server just don’t hand out better connections… If anything it is usually the otherway around, fighting someone with 200+ ping means you cannot parry his attacks as they’re desynch with their animations. Such people usually get kickvoted though.

• Anything 90+ is not serious for competitive play, but just because it’s below 90 doesn’t mean it’s good, either. I have low ping and yet it took 36 hours for me to download the game.

• Getting hit when the animation appears to be in windup? Shouldn’t that happen if the guy has high ping? I thought that low ping should make everything smooth and syncronized, and distortions are only caused by high ping.

• @Kewlan:

I’ve heard people have speculated this, but I’m pretty sure that the reason behind this, is that everything happens on the server, and THEN sends the information to the computers, instead of happening locally, and then sending it.

Actually, it’s the exact opposite. All the hit detection happens client side, on the attackers client. When 2 people’s combined ping is high this can cause hits to happen seemingly before they should, but it’s the same for both players.

• It also depends on the quality/stability of their line.

Since I had moved residences, my ping went down from 90+ to 20 to all Victorian servers and 20-30 to Sydney/SA etc.

Everything became a whole lot smoother, not just because my ping had dropped to perfectly stable, but my jitter and possible packet loss had dropped as well.

Jitter and packet loss plays a big roll in the animation quality of the game, someone may come up in the playerlist that their ping is 60, but the hidden jitter and/or packet loss could resemble a ping of 120 or more.

Last night I was fighting someone with the Claymore, who’s internet was slightly jittery/unstable. Sometimes their ping would be stable 25ish like mine, sometimes it’d jump to 50.

When fighting them at 25 ping, all animations/windups/releases were all in sync and the fights progressed excellently.
    When his internet jumped to 50 (probably with extra jitter too) I was getting hit in windup (especially on stabs) a lot of his attacks phased through me, and some attacks just completely ignored my parry.

Personally, when I changed houses and my connection became perfect, I was able to become even better at the game, but it’s a double edged sword as I still have to adjust to laggers here and there.

• I always find myself checking the scoreboard after someone kills me in a strange manner and you see those people with 90+ ping. But to be honest, the games on net servers recently have been shitting themselves for everyone so everyone has high than average ping.

Anyone with 100+ ping should be quartered though, fuck them seriously.

• @DokB:

I always find myself checking the scoreboard after someone kills me in a strange manner and you see those people with 90+ ping. But to be honest, the games on net servers recently have been shitting themselves for everyone so everyone has high than average ping.

I habitually do that too. Even when just running around, I’ll Tab a couple of times just to see pings, scores etc D:

Games.on.net servers have always been average at best (Sorry Lemonater but it’s true.) while you do have most of the player base on the GON servers, they need to adjust server player limits or give the servers more juice to handle it.

Not every mode has to be 32 player, the servers can’t seem to handle a full 32 player TO/TDM and everyone sits at 100 + ping.
    On the other hand though, when they aren’t full, (20-50% capacity) the servers are excellent and I get 20 ping most of the time.

Really there should be 1 or 2 32 player servers for TO etc, 16 player TO etc, then a couple of smaller sized servers too.

• From what I notice people with high ping have a bad kd ratio and only rarely are they hard to parry.

• Its completely client side hit detection. If it was server side people would kill each other many times.

• @NaTe:

Really there should be 1 or 2 32 player servers for TO etc, 16 player TO etc, then a couple of smaller sized servers too.

Agree.

• @NaTe:

@DokB:

I always find myself checking the scoreboard after someone kills me in a strange manner and you see those people with 90+ ping. But to be honest, the games on net servers recently have been shitting themselves for everyone so everyone has high than average ping.

I habitually do that too. Even when just running around, I’ll Tab a couple of times just to see pings, scores etc D:

Games.on.net servers have always been average at best (Sorry Lemonater but it’s true.) while you do have most of the player base on the GON servers, they need to adjust server player limits or give the servers more juice to handle it.

Not every mode has to be 32 player, the servers can’t seem to handle a full 32 player TO/TDM and everyone sits at 100 + ping.
    On the other hand though, when they aren’t full, (20-50% capacity) the servers are excellent and I get 20 ping most of the time.

I’m in New Zealand and get 70 ping on the NSW servers.

Only on citadel is where the ping hours up. And it steadily goes up. Most people’s pings start off below 100. Then by the king stage most people’s pings are over 120.

I will study the ping on our servers. I do notice people with 30-40 ping on the full servers.

And Australia is known for having shit Internet.

• @lemonater47:

Only on citadel is where the ping hours up. And it steadily goes up. Most people’s pings start off below 100. Then by the king stage most people’s pings are over 120.

I will study the ping on our servers. I do notice people with 30-40 ping on the full servers.

I’ve personally had it go over 100 for me when full on Citadel, Darkforest and Hillside.

Yep Australia is definitely known for that lovely fact :P but I would presume the GON servers are hosted off 40mbit+ lines?

Eitherway, as I said, when there’s only up to 50% players on the server (possibly 60-70% sometimes) everyone seems to maintain their usual pings, unaffected by the server. I will sit on 20ish for as long as I’m on. It’s only when maxed out will it shoot up for everyone.

• @NaTe:

@lemonater47:

I’ve personally had it go over 100 for me when full on Citadel, Darkforest and Hillside.

Yep Australia is definitely known for that lovely fact :P but I would presume the GON servers are hosted off 40mbit+ lines?

Eitherway, as I said, when there’s only up to 50% players on the server (possibly 60-70% sometimes) everyone seems to maintain their usual pings, unaffected by the server. I will sit on 20ish for as long as I’m on. It’s only when maxed out will it shoot up for everyone.

I personally don’t know the specs of the servers. I’ll have to ask but I probably can’t reveal them to you. And next patch depending what the Rcon functionality is like depends on what I can monitor from there. Is it literally just a console or does it show hardware usage amount other things. I don’t know. And I don’t know if there is a way currently for me to check the hardware usage currently. As while they are games on net servers they are hosted by internode.

They are miles better than the official servers though. They have really high ping even with 0 people.

The other servers have really ba players on them. And they are also pretty average.

• @lemonater47:

I personally don’t know the specs of the servers. I’ll have to ask but I probably can’t reveal them to you.

Our chiv servers are on 24 core / 2.93ghz boxs, CPU usage for each server rarely goes over 10% and never over 20% as far as the graphs go back

I read that server ms under 33.33ms was good… well this is how ours look --> http://i.imgur.com/zTMfAvZ.jpg

That said the pings on that screenshot don’t look that great, I usually admin CSS so have no idea about UT3 stuff… would changing the bandwidth in the .ini files make a diff?
    The default seems rather low;
    TotalNetBandwidth=32000
    MaxDynamicBandwidth=7000
    MinDynamicBandwidth=4000

Then again these people could just be from other states playing on the VIC server

• @NaTe:

When fighting them at 25 ping, all animations/windups/releases were all in sync and the fights progressed excellently.
    When his internet jumped to 50 (probably with extra jitter too) I was getting hit in windup (especially on stabs) a lot of his attacks phased through me, and some attacks just completely ignored my parry.

Kinda funny how it becomes so bad even at 50 ping. Is that 0.05 seconds or 0.5?

@lemonater47:

Its completely client side hit detection. If it was server side people would kill each other many times.

You sure about that? Because I have seen my weapon touch enemies, and even collided and it never registered. It made me think that your swings are nullified the moment you get hit.

Something related: Do your arrows disappear when you die, while they’re still flying through the air?

• since tele2 is the worst piece of crap Provider one could ever, ever hear of, my latency keeps jumping up and down between 40 to several hundred ping for the closest servers.

so i can tell you from experience that high latency is NOT an advantage, overal. yeah, it may be hard to combat someone with high latency, but it’s far worse to combat while having high latency.
    at least, using Archer or MAA.

if you miss someone because THEY are lagging, is not a big problem, because they can’t respond quickly to the situation. if you miss because YOU are lagging, you’re dead.

also, being unpredictable because of lag is both an advantage and disadvantage between you and enemies, but only disadvantage between you and allies. getting warped into ally weapons, or having your weapon warped into an ally is both bad.

not to mention the whole warping into walls, off of walls, off of bridges…

• @BlaZe:

Our chiv servers are on 24 core / 2.93ghz boxs, CPU usage for each server rarely goes over 10% and never over 20% as far as the graphs go back

I read that server ms under 33.33ms was good… well this is how ours look --> http://i.imgur.com/zTMfAvZ.jpg

Pretty average server for my region ping wise and already better than officials if there are no hiccups every few seconds.

• Yeah having high ping is worse than fighting one person with high ping. As with high ping everyone you fight is hard to fight and unpredictable. I have pretty good ping as in New Zealand it doesn’t matter too much which provider you go for concerning speed and ping spikes. But when someone else uploads something in the house my ping spikes up really high and a weird bunch of bugs happen. I often teleport around the place. I once fell through the ground and a couple o times I have teleported off the edge of something and fallen to my death.