Things that would make the game perfect

• So I had like 3 months pause in playing Chivalry. In the meantime, some patches got implemented and apparently, the game is much better than it was. I believe it is the best build since the beginning of the game. Yet in my opinion, there are some fundamental flaws that have not been fixed or that have appeared during fixing other things.

PARRIES
    Parries got a little bit too strong. In order to counter facehugging (more on that latter), they were probably somehow adjusted, widened or something… and now when someone parries, it is sometimes very, very difficult to hit them… almost bordering on impossible. Basically sometimes they become literally invulnerable from all sides and shrug off attacks coming from behind. Sometimes it even happens to me that I clearly can see that I parried an attack I was not normally supposed to.
    Solution: Parries should return in their original form. They were alright.

FACEHUGGING
    Facehugging was reduced due to strengthening parries which I consider generally a good direction of evolution, however I do not believe that the problem with facehugging lies with parries and their adjustments. In my opinion, the core issue of facehugging is that at certain distance, attacks get around parries due to hands clipping through the parry box which should not happen and which obviously has not been fixed yet. You still have to turn unnaturally in order to parry those attacks even though all logic and intuition says this should not be necessary.
    Solution: Add non-hurting tracers to arms. Possibly add self-hurting tracers to arms - you can imagine what happens when an arm wielding a heavy piece of iron moves very fast against a sharp blade…

ATTACK ANIMATIONS
    Sometimes there are very strange timings with certain weapons, typically knight’s ones (messer, some axes). The animation goes through windup, then it stays unexpectedly long in the wind-up climax and finally the attack is performed extremely fast. It has nothing to do with delaying or speeding up, the attack would have to be delayed in the 1st phase of the release and accelerated in the 2nd phase which is admitedly possible but the enemy model does not seem to indicate anything like that.

PANICK PARRIES
    Can’t pull them off for some reason. Just as it was impossible for me to combo-feint-parry, it is impossible for me to panick-parry.

KNOCKBACKS
    These need some explaining. I can’t get the mechanics behind them. Sometimes they work like a charm, pummeling the enemy a few metres off the cliff, sometimes nothing happens and Archers/MaAs’s with tiny co-… I mean daggers shrug them off like nothing happened (be the source weapon a spear, zweihander or maul).

THIRD PERSON
    This needs to go. A MaA running around in circles and always aware of his enemies presence are very frustrating to face. It takes the pace out of the combat. Plus it is against all this game is about, breaks the immersion, changes the gameplay style fundamentally. Get rid of it.

STAMINA HAX
    My favourite. I love when I meet a man-at-arms with a norse sword who is able to parry my zweihander attacks so long that I run out of stamina. And he dodges at that. This happens surprisingly frequently.

• @Eleshar_Vermillion:

PANICK PARRIES
    Can’t pull them off for some reason. Just as it was impossible for me to combo-feint-parry, it is impossible for me to panick-parry.

Heard that Torn Banner? Remove panic parry, it’s still impossible for some people to perform it and clanfags are abusing it. Add something like automatic parry system for normal players who doesnt fancy exploits.

• @Eleshar_Vermillion:

PANICK PARRIES

wat.

This has to be a troll

• @NoVaLombardia:

@Eleshar_Vermillion:

PANICK PARRIES

wat.

This has to be a troll

They need to remove it man, clearly it’s too hard.

• @rumpelstiltskin:

@NoVaLombardia:

@Eleshar_Vermillion:

PANICK PARRIES

wat.

This has to be a troll

They need to remove it man, clearly it’s too hard.

Oh yeah, definately.

• All I read was “I can’t face hug anymore and don’t like people being able to parry, cant hit anyone”

hmm

• @gregcau:

All I read was “I can’t face hug anymore and don’t like people being able to parry, cant hit anyone”

hmm

And you can still facehug anyways. You can still top the scoreboard just by facehugging because noobs are so bad.

• “You can still top the scoreboard just by facehugging because noobs are so bad.”

^^ this.

I know i’ve said you shouldnt make balance decisions based off of skill. Some people are just not very good at all and don’t even understand how to play though, while some people have 10,000 DPI mouses with sensitivity all the way up, running 120+fps on a SSD with a 120 hz monitor, have surround sound, and play the game 60 hours a week. There needs to be balance around people that have a medium skill level that is achieved after around 100-220 hours of play, and still be able to play much worse than the average person that has that play time, and have a large skill cap of being able to be a consistently better and more dangerous player after that point.

• @rumpelstiltskin:

Heard that Torn Banner? Remove panic parry, it’s still impossible for some people to perform it and clanfags are abusing it. Add something like automatic parry system for normal players who doesnt fancy exploits.

I didn’t say anything like that. Basically I would count myself among the fans of this mechanic, it just doesn’t somehow work for me (my guess is that I should click parry just after I finish my release, but nothing happens…. just like nothing happened when tried to parry just after feint from a combo).
    You are free to clarify what I do incorrectly.

All I read was “I can’t face hug anymore and don’t like people being able to parry, cant hit anyone”

You read bad. I don’t facehug (hard to facehug with zweihander). But I don’t like when people block my attacks with their back turned to me and to the direction the attack comes from. This is much more frequent now.
    Also my problem with facehugging is that it works counter-intuitively. I can see it as a legit strategy but it should not be based on the fact that part of the opponents body clips thru parry and gets the weapon around it.

Please read before commenting.

There needs to be balance around people that have a medium skill level that is achieved after around 100-220 hours of play, and still be able to play much worse than the average person that has that play time, and have a large skill cap of being able to be a consistently better and more dangerous player after that point.

Fuck balance, I am not talking about that in this topic. What I would like to get rid off is the internal inconsistency and absence of logic.

• I don’t facehug (hard to facehug with zweihander).

You can do it with any weapon.

Also my problem with facehugging is that it works counter-intuitively.

How? You hit their sides.

• Global Moderator

The reason why parrying is better and that facehugging is less effective is becuase of the antifacehug bubble. Which means you can get nearly as close.

• @lemonater47:

The reason why parrying is better and that facehugging is less effective is becuase of the antifacehug bubble. Which means you can get nearly as close.

• Global Moderator

@Meow:

@lemonater47:

Well the OP didn’t know. He thought parry was changed.

• smart asses… they’re everywhere.

Imo bug fixes would make the game perfect. ALOT of them.

• @lemonater47:

Really? That sounds like a reasonable solution, however it does not explain that the issues with “overzealous parry” that are much more frequent than the 3 months ago (and absent in the beginning).

Concerning facehugging - no you cant do that with every weapon, it works basically only with one-handers. The only instance of facehugging working with 2H weapon is overhead where sometimes the hand can clip through the parry box on the top but that happends rather seldom.

BTW, anybody can advise more about the knockbacks and panick parries?

• hand can clip through the parry box

That never happens with any weapon. All facehugging is is hitting their sides. But from their perspective it looks like they aren’t even hitting their sides and they’re parying the attacks but they really aren’t. It’s a perspective thing. And yes, you can hit people’s sides with any weapon.

• Global Moderator

@Jstorm:

hand can clip through the parry box

That never happens with any weapon. All facehugging is is hitting their sides. But from their perspective it looks like they aren’t even hitting their sides and they’re parying the attacks but they really aren’t. It’s a perspective thing. And yes, you can hit people’s sides with any weapon.

Actually with many 1h weapon stabs at facehugging range the parry tracers didn’t touch the actual parry. By instead of fixing the tracers they made the bubble. Which I don’t like.

• @lemonater47:

@Jstorm:

hand can clip through the parry box

Actually with many 1h weapon stabs at facehugging range the parry tracers didn’t touch the actual parry. By instead of fixing the tracers they made the bubble. Which I don’t like.

The clipping through only happened on stabs (while looking down, because of the way torso movement worked). Id rather had them fix the stab tracers than added a bubble.

But yes, otherwise things hit people’s sides, and people for some reason expect to not ever have to turn their mouse to block something.