Viking Map Idea

• Edited a bit, basically a bunch of battle ravaged ships with different way to get from ship to ship in a stormy ocean.

Bunch of big viking\enemy boats linked together so you can walk from ship to ship with ropes shot from harpoons from a earlier battle, sail masses(poles?) fallen over onto other ships and floating debri leading from one ship to another, sides of ships split open so you can enter the ships from below or above. Have the ground swaying with the stormy ocean making low ground and high ground sway back and forth?

Shark traps? Swinging chain with a anchor on it trap?

I guess it wouldn’t have to be viking ships but vikings have the coolest ships and are the most sea fairing.

p.s. maybe pirates meet vikings

• Mod

@BandOfTheHawk:

Dat Idea

Sounds more like a pirate map to me!
    I was hoping to see a traditional round viking village for the viking map- complete with it’s longhouse and runestones. Like the one Rune had on the first level? =P

• We’ve talked about both of those ideas. The ships are really hard to get right, though.

• Harpoons and shark traps? Doesn’t sound too viking-ish to me, I’m more to what User said, a viking village. Something like this, perhaps:

m-fMBf4Psfw

• Mod

@SavageBeatings:

Bla bla post about awesome village environment!

I love that video but the streets are too straight and organized.
    Also here are some quick shots from that village I talked about: (also done with unreal engine tech :P)
    http://imgur.com/APgsl80,iacsOxm,1rWh2Rr,PhxHkNu#3

• @User:

@SavageBeatings:

Bla bla post about awesome village environment!

I love that video but the streets are too straight and organized.
    Also here are some quick shots from that village I talked about: (also done with unreal engine tech :P)
    http://imgur.com/APgsl80,iacsOxm,1rWh2Rr,PhxHkNu#3

Too straight and organized? :O And vikings can’t be organized? That’s kind of a vital point in civilization, to be organized. But I agree, it’s a bit square-ish. That village is based on historical findings anyways, it’s based of a scale model that you can find in a museum where you can also find everything from that village they dug up.

Edit:
    Here’s the scale model it was based on, it’s not as… organized:

r7uXZSowFPw

• Mod

Very nice.
    Yes its mostly the streets and the buildings being arranged in neat rows. Sort of kills the authenticity of the mood and really what I was referring to in the layout. Basically the tavern table rule.

• @SavageBeatings:

That Age of Conan Soundtrack with awesome map

Pretty much love this idea. Those tight streets would make for awesome formations if players had the patience to do that. I think the problem is, outside a core group of players, most people would be kicking, pushing, blocking, and team damaging each other because of the tightness. It would be a mess.