Viking Berserker?

• It would be really cool if the Viking had a “Berserker” special ability; they can no longer parry but combo faster, do a bit more damage and get a bit more health. Maybe it could be something they do only once per life or something.

• @Dr:

It would be really cool if the Viking had a “Berserker” special ability; they can no longer parry but combo faster, do a bit more damage and get a bit more health. Maybe it could be something they do only once per life or something.

Have you played Pirates, Vikings, and Knights 2? Can’t rip everything off from them :P

• @ReMixx:

@Dr:

It would be really cool if the Viking had a “Berserker” special ability; they can no longer parry but combo faster, do a bit more damage and get a bit more health. Maybe it could be something they do only once per life or something.

Have you played Pirates, Vikings, and Knights 2? Can’t rip everything off from them :P

Never played it, I was going off real history.

• Just gonna use this topic for MY viking idea.

I’m not so sure about the dual wielding thing. Don’t get me wrong, it looks really cool, but it’s a hollywood thing. And it’s also your main weapon! You should definately keep the dual wielding though, but… what about you pick a primary weapon and a secondary weapon, and then you dual wield those? Imagine, sword in one hand, hatchet in other. Then you can shift between one weapon and two weapons just like you can shift between one hand and two hands for the knights bastard swords. In the teritiary slot, there would be a couple of round shields - a large one and a small one - so that you can of course go traditional viking with round shield and spear or axe!

Also, gotta say, the fighting animations and battlecry with the vikings are pretty cool! Especially the third strike in a combo, which is a total badass action movie move. I also have an idea for a battlecry - while you are dual wielding, you raise your left weapon and point at the enemy while you start to spin around the right weapon in your hand in a real menacing way. It would look especially cool from a standing idle position, since the viking is resting his left weapon on his shoulder.

• Mod

@SavageBeatings:

…but it’s a hollywood thing…

I agree with that.
    I would really like to see sword and shield or axe and shield viking fighting that has something to do with riposting with a shield like you can without a shield at the current chiv release.

• @SavageBeatings:

I’m not so sure about the dual wielding thing. Don’t get me wrong, it looks really cool, but it’s a hollywood thing. And it’s also your main weapon! You should definately keep the dual wielding though, but… what about you pick a primary weapon and a secondary weapon, and then you dual wield those? Imagine, sword in one hand, hatchet in other. Then you can shift between one weapon and two weapons just like you can shift between one hand and two hands for the knights bastard swords.

That is actually how dual wield will work.

I’m not so sure if we’ll go down the shield route with Vikings. We really want the idea of an offensive shield fighting style to be iconic to the Spartan. Vikings will really have more of the berserker relentless aggression style of play. Hollywood, yes - but that’s what we’re going for, and it worked for Chivalry. Cinematic and epic feeling, even at the cost of some realism. It also lends itself better to gameplay and making the classes different.

Re: Berserking; stay tuned. ;)

• Berserking:

Last 5 second extend 2 seconds for every successful kill while in berserk mode
    Unlimited Stamina
    Damage increased by 30%
    Inability to block
    Once Berserker period ends, there is a 2 second cool down where you can’t attack or block(Audible cue: heavy breathing)

• Might as well give the pirates giant explosive barrels. :roll:

• Olaf berserker

love clerks :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5D-9X3ooFvo

• @SlyGoat:

@SavageBeatings:

I’m not so sure about the dual wielding thing. Don’t get me wrong, it looks really cool, but it’s a hollywood thing. And it’s also your main weapon! You should definately keep the dual wielding though, but… what about you pick a primary weapon and a secondary weapon, and then you dual wield those? Imagine, sword in one hand, hatchet in other. Then you can shift between one weapon and two weapons just like you can shift between one hand and two hands for the knights bastard swords.

That is actually how dual wield will work.

I’m not so sure if we’ll go down the shield route with Vikings. We really want the idea of an offensive shield fighting style to be iconic to the Spartan. Vikings will really have more of the berserker relentless aggression style of play. Hollywood, yes - but that’s what we’re going for, and it worked for Chivalry. Cinematic and epic feeling, even at the cost of some realism. It also lends itself better to gameplay and making the classes different.

Great to hear you’re thinking of Berserking (which is actually historically accurate).

I’m a little disappointed to hear that your not moving towards more historical accuracy with this title. The TV show aims for accuracy and tries to debunk the Hollywood myths. I would think a game tie in would aim for something similar.

• @Dr:

@SlyGoat:

Great to hear you’re thinking of Berserking (which is actually historically accurate).

I’m a little disappointed to hear that your not moving towards more historical accuracy with this title. The TV show aims for accuracy and tries to debunk the Hollywood myths. I would think a game tie in would aim for something similar.

Yeah, this ^

I’m kind of sad to hear vikings won’t get shields and they were pretty notorius of their shield use. berskerkers didn’t really go dual wielding axes anyways, did they? IIRC it’s a rather inefficient way of combat. They would use a dane axe (the real, two-handed one, not the whimpy one in Chivalry.)

I’m just kind of hoping for a game that finally makes historically accurate vikings, but game devs always insist on making them so darn Hollywood. Oh well, fun > realism I guess.

• There is actually a reference to a dual wielding Viking in one of the sagas, but it certainly was the exception rather than the rule.

• @Dr:

There is actually a reference to a dual wielding Viking in one of the sagas, but it certainly was the exception rather than the rule.

Yeah, I’ve heard something about a spear in one hand, a sword in the other:
    _
    Hann hafði spjót í annarri hendi en í annarri sverð en engan skjöld._
    (He had a spear in one hand and a sword in the other, but no shield)

as well as two swords:

Grímur hafði tvö sverð því að Gaus kunni að deyfa eggjar. Grímur vó jafnt báðum höndum. Hann brá upp sverði með vinstri hendi en hjó með hinni hægri til Gauss og af fótinn fyrir ofan kné.
    (Grímur had two swords, because Gaus knew how to blunt sword-edges. Grímur fought equally well with both hands. He raised one sword with his left hand and struck with the right at Gaus, taking off one of his legs above the knee.)

But as you said, it’s definately more of the exception than the norm.

• Haha deadliest warriors realistic? That is so humorous I spit out my cereal. Talk to anyone that knows any type of history of ancient warriors and ask them what they think about DW’s realism ;)

• @Knil:

Haha deadliest warriors realistic? That is so humorous I spit out my cereal. Talk to anyone that knows any type of history of ancient warriors and ask them what they think about DW’s realism ;)

I’ve never seen Deadliest Warriors so I don’t know :/ I’m just into historical accuracy, and would have hoped there could be some in… an expansion like this. Minus the anachronisms of pirates and spartans, of course.

• @SavageBeatings:

@Knil:

Haha deadliest warriors realistic? That is so humorous I spit out my cereal. Talk to anyone that knows any type of history of ancient warriors and ask them what they think about DW’s realism ;)

I’ve never seen Deadliest Warriors so I don’t know :/ I’m just into historical accuracy, and would have hoped there could be some in… an expansion like this. Minus the anachronisms of pirates and spartans, of course.

Well they are authentic. Though they often make up their own ways of how they fought. And their excuse for that is “you never know they could of done that”.

Though considering they make matchups of soldier of completely different time periods going together I suppose they can get away with it.

• On the topic of vikings, more specifically, their weapons - will you add more of those, like a sax and an atgeir?

[image:2z9j2ygx]http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m9e5a8tPjm1r3080to1_500.jpg[/image:2z9j2ygx]

[image:2z9j2ygx]http://www.ambiente-haus.com/images/product_images/popup_images/Wikinger-Hellebarde-aus-Stahl_1628_1.jpg[/image:2z9j2ygx]

I know, the sax is what you associate with the saxons (hence, their name) and the atgeir is a relatively unknown but a cool polearm for the vikings.

Also, will you get rid of that false dane axe and add a real one?

[image:2z9j2ygx]http://www.cantref.org.uk/forum/gallery/2_26_07_11_12_04_13.jpeg[/image:2z9j2ygx]

Because then you could also get rid of those disgusting and unrealistic double-bitted axes and huge sledgehammers as well. No one used those and I don’t want to see vikings use those, either.

• Actually a maul was used quite often.

• @Knil:

OK, I’ll give you that.

I was trying to push TB to strive for historical accuracy rather than the Hollywood mentality they seem to think is best, so I exaggerated Deadliest Warrior’s realistic cred. Although truth be told DW at least pretends that they are realistic even if they miss the mark by a mile at times.

• When do we get to see C:MMMORPGW?!