Archers have ruined this game for me

• I’ve just finished yet another attempt at playing but nothing is more infuriating than seeing a great concept and play style that is chivalry, ruined by archer class.

With no exaggeration, about 9/10 deaths are to archers, it is absolutely phenomenal. All modesty out the window, i’m very good at fighting in melee and have bothered to learn the intricacies of melee combat but what can you do when every team has a million archers?

There is one ‘3 archer limit’ server on oceanic and it is very rarely populated so that doesn’t work as a solution. I just can’t get over the fact of how out of place and detrimental they are to Chivalry. Sure, some people might love playing the class but the general consensus each game is people in chat saying ‘fucking archers’ etc.

The fact that I stop playing each session of chivalry because of yet another archer death in a series of unavoidable, ranged deaths is just mind boggling. The few games of that 3 archer server were bliss, and only 3 was still annoying.

On a side note, the fact that getting into melee to kill the archer(s) is almost impossible blows my mind too. The closer I get, the easier it is to land that brainless one shot kill crossbow, even with weaving left and right the target is only getting bigger.

Sure, this is a rage rant, but surely others must understand the frustration of this great game being ruined by having a ranged class of such power.

• Headshotting from close ranged is very risky yet hard if enemy is moving left-right. Non-agressive archers are generally easy to kill, 1 feint with Zweihander and Poof Magic. As someone who usually plays as Archer, its really annoying when some people complain about archers who are can be 1 shotted by most weapons. And 1 Good Anti-Archer is enough to keep others away to some point, enemy archers may rage quit or can change class when your team has Good Anti-Archer Archer.

Archers doesnt ruin game, the ones who cant play with players better than them or underestimate others and get pissed when they kill them. Archering is one of hardest class to play (for me) Caring for you team mates while trying to kill enemy.

For Short some Archers can make your day while some others pisses you off. They dont ruin the game.

• I think an excess of archers on any team does detract from the game.

• It should be up to your archers to take down enemy archers. It’s that simple. Once you focus your fire on enemy’s ranged units they also have to join the shooting contest or they’ll be picked down one by one. Problem isn’t the archer class itself, but how your team’s archers are doing and what they’re doing.

Limits for archers are indeed good, but sadly they still can bypass that somehow.

• Sometimes there is too mucth archers on the game,i can agree.
    But not always, not even that often.

For me, archers only ruin a game when there are like 5/10 on the attacking team…

In EU there is some “no archers” servers… well, that is fun yeah, but it feels too strange to just take a walk on the maps with no arrow threat…
    plus i like kill archers, their screams are really satisfiyng :D

• @dudeface:

I think an excess of archers on any team does detract from the game.

It certainly does. Getting hit by an arrow during a melee is probably what frustrates most player
    Simple reason is that any person can blindly shoot an arrow into a crowd and without serious repercussions.

Would be interesting to find out if increasing team damage from bows would lower the excess amount of archers, or atleast, make them hesitate from shooting you in the back when engaged in a melee.
    Or maybe adding some kind of negative to the player if they hit a teammate. temporary shaky/greyscale screen from nerves etc. Makes for accurate and precise shooting.

• @Holy.Death:

Once you focus your fire on enemy’s ranged units they also have to join the shooting contest or they’ll be picked down one by one.

Yes exactly. These are very helpfull archers !

• Arrow damage needs to be massively nerfed on all bows and crossbows. If you look at it from a balance and gameplay perspective, it’s clear that a lot of people are simply frustrated at being 1 shotted by an archer in what is predominantly a melee game. If you look at it from a historical or even relative authenticity perspective, it’s ridiculous that a man wearing plate armour or chainmail is so vulnerable to arrows. No one’s asking for complete realism, that is to say, a knight being completely impervious to arrows unless they go through the visor, etc, but being able kill a knight with a single crossbow bolt is simply stupid. Archers were fun when they played a supporting role, right now they’re far too deadly. It should be 2 hits for MAA, 3 for Vanguard, 5 hits for Knight, with the heavy crossbow. A supporting role means they should be played to wear enemy troops down and pick off the wounded. Right now you might as well give them the railgun from Quake 3. And bear in mind I play as an archer a lot so this isn’t class bashing.

• Dying to an archer is always infuriating, especially if you have no idea where that goddamn arrow came from.

However, I actually got a funny story from last night about this general hatred of archers. Everyone in FFA just suddenly decided that whenever there’s an archer, we would team up against him and then return to normal FFA. This went on for like five or six games and it was just awesome, haha.

Also, if you’re playing a Vanguard there’s a way to dodge most arrows. Sprint and jump around - confuse them. It works especially well if they’re near you. It has worked for me so far and I’ve many times gotten near enough to be able to take out those hellspawns.

• Too deadly yeah we can say that without a doubt.

I can’t imagine with all the bug fixes, they would be even more deadly :( please TB don’t fix archers

• @Jon:

However, I actually got a funny story from last night about this general hatred of archers. Everyone in FFA just suddenly decided that whenever there’s an archer, we would team up against him and then return to normal FFA. This went on for like five or six games and it was just awesome, haha.

I love it when you’re fighting someone in FFA, and an arrow whizzes in between you. You both lower your weapons, nod at each other, then charge of in pursuit of the craven. Happens all the time, which is a good thing.

• Archers were always OP, and they were even buffed last patch. The only way to beat archer is to play archer. A team full of archers does not detract from the team, in fact there is no way to beat a team full of them, but only if they’re good. Bad archers, sure, they don’t contribute much. But good archers are unbeatable especially in groups. Unless, of course, you also play archer.

The only thing you can do is hope that Torn Banner and the community realize how OP archers are and fundamentally change them. When TB designed this game, they didn’t realize how skilled players could be with archers, so they’re extremely OP now. Steve even said in a devblog video, “Instead of feeling frustrated from being shot by 300 feet away, you actually have a sense of appreciation and respect for that person who defeated you.” or something. Obviously that’s not true at all, and it’s way easier to do than they ever imagined.

6GnuCjueong

Steve only plays this game casually since he’s so busy marketing and stuff, so when he plays he gets owned when he tries archer and MaA because they require more skill to play. So he decides to overbuff them thinking they need it when skilled players know how OP they already were. It’s also why combo feint to parry was removed and recovery parry was added.

Not really, but it’s funny to think about.

• @SOC:

A team full of archers does not detract from the team, in fact there is no way to beat a team full of them, but only if they’re good.

Lol… I guarantee a team of 5 knights and a vanguard would easily beat a team of 6 archers of bigs and/or flotch’s level.

Archers are nothing without melee to keep other melee off them.

• No one’s asking for complete realism, that is to say, a knight being completely impervious to arrows unless they go through the visor, etc, but being able kill a knight with a single crossbow bolt is simply stupid.

Well, I must say I am suprised seeing how many knights don’t take tower shield as their secondary asset - while most of knights use two-handed primary it doesn’t mean they can’t take shield to close the distance and force an archer into melee. Then they can use some one-handed without a shield to get counter-attack and range advantage over the archer.

SOC - you make some good points here.

• Agreed, archers are like sentry guns in TF2: fun-sucking pests.

• @dudeface:

I love it when you’re fighting someone in FFA, and an arrow whizzes in between you. You both lower your weapons, nod at each other, then charge of in pursuit of the craven. Happens all the time, which is a good thing.

I don’t even need a close call, my weapons naturally gravitate towards archers.

• @NoVaLombardia:

@SOC:

A team full of archers does not detract from the team, in fact there is no way to beat a team full of them, but only if they’re good.

Lol… I guarantee a team of 5 knights and a vanguard would easily beat a team of 6 archers of bigs and/or flotch’s level.

Archers are nothing without melee to keep other melee off them.

Stop talking about clan battles and team organization. No one cares about that on live. You have Pro Mod for that. Live is only about pubbing.

• @SOC:

Stop talking about clan battles and team organization. No one cares about that on live. You have Pro Mod for that. Live is only about pubbing.

Stop talking about Pro Mod this way. Pro Mod is a mod, nothing more. Stop advertising it as something different.

But yes - Archery is too easy. Or Crossbow/Warbow archery that is. I would like to see some changes making it harder to hit your target. Something like:

• projectile spread
    • buffing shields back to viability
    • decreased projectile speed for Crossbows
    • less visible arrows
    • increased reload times

The only weapons I would like the base damage touched are the bows. Longbow is okay, Shortbow needs a buff and the Warbow (Bodkin) needs a nerf.

• Archery is not easy and I can count godlike archers from Europe on the fingers of one hand. Only these guys make me think like “Shit ninja, this class is OP” and this is because archer has highest possible skill ceiling and some people can really do miracles with bow.

• @SOC:

…No one cares about that on live. You have Pro Mod for that. Live is only about pubbing.

Nonsense.