Minimising team damage

• Just an idea i’ve had for a while and suggested a few times on random topics. I thought I should make an official thread to hear other peoples opinions and ideas.

Team damage is one of those things that are apart of competitive gaming life. It’s gonna happen and there isn’t much you can do about it. Sadly, there is very little repercussion from delivering team damage apart from the occasional TK that causes psychopathic abuse over chat. This leads to people often attacking with even less regard for teammates and careless archers just firing another arrow into a crowd hoping that it will hit the right coloured guy this time.
    This just lowers any skill ceiling IMO.

My suggestion, is that they have a greyscale/heartbeating effect when your health is very low, that automatically tells you to be very cautious for the next few seconds. Well, I think it would work quite beneficially for everyone having a similar effect when you deliver team damage, a shaking screen effect that would simulate nerves? nothing too drastic (Not Day Z shaking :P)

Yes, too many commas, but that’s just my writing style :P

• I was just thinking maybe 25% TK damage instead of 50% on officials might make things a little better. Of course, it may make things worse too since players would be more willing to LMB through team mates to steal kills, thus making winning 1vsx that much harder for you.

• I support this, although it would make sense that you also twitch a bit with just low health, considering you just got stabbed through the stomach… I don’t think lowering % of team damage is the way to go though.

• I suggested this like a hundred times:
    TB should just copy the TK-system from Movie Battles II.
    If you hit a mate you get as many tk-points as healthpoints you took from him. If you kill a mate you get 100 tk-points. If you have a certain number of points you get killed, after that kicked and if you join back and tk again you get banned. Works fine.

• @SOC:

Of course, it may make things worse too since players would be more willing to LMB through team mates to steal kills, thus making winning 1vsx that much harder for you.

This. I believe increasing the team damage to 100% would work better as it does punish the teamdamaging team for the full amount. I hate situations when I fight an enemy in melee, both are about even in hitpoints (e.g. full) and a random enemy appears slashing right through the fight killing me but my enemy survives…

Another idea: Increase respawn time for teamdamage. Its less frustrating for the victim and more punishing for teamkillers that don’t care about their team. Lets say 1 second for each team hit and 20 seconds for each teamkill.

• @jrmftw:

My suggestion, is that they have a greyscale/heartbeating effect when your health is very low, that automatically tells you to be very cautious for the next few seconds.

Not needed, once you have played enough you know exactly where your health is at. Basically on average every time you get hit you lose 1/3 or health, sometimes more sometimes less but its not exactly MMO where you can take hit after hit.

• The level of team damage that happens accidentally is fine. And yes if you are on low health don’t go charging in on the one enemy who has 3 guys around him.

You always need full awareness on what’s going on around you. And rather than raging at people who teamkill be the nice guy and teach them. A lot of the noobs don’t even know the scroll wheel exists.

The only anti teamkill idea I like is the extended respawn time. Either skip the next wave or just add time. Though some teamkills do happen and its actually the other guys fault for getting in the way. 2 teamkills skip to the next spawn wave. That sounds good to me.

Auto kicks are bad. Kicks should only be used against those who teamkill on purpose. And votekick handles that fine.

• It’s really getting worse and worse. 50-70% of my deaths are from teammates. that’s bs

• @afiNity:

It’s really getting worse and worse. 50-70% of my deaths are from teammates. that’s bs

I think what you are saying is BS.

Personally in polite when I get tked. I tell them how to get better. Abusing them makes it worse. And not saying anything doesn’t do anything.

• @lemonater47:

Personally in polite when I get tked. I tell them how to get better. Abusing them makes it worse. And not saying anything doesn’t do anything.

And telling them to get good makes it better?

• @rumpelstiltskin:

@lemonater47:

And telling them to get good makes it better?

Telling them HOW to get better makes it better. If you do it in the nicest, less patronising way possible.

• I generally just ignore it, but if they start swinging at me more i just keep parrying and kite them towards my team and then they get vote kicked and or they start attacking other team members…

• @Evil:

Another idea: Increase respawn time for teamdamage. Its less frustrating for the victim and more punishing for teamkillers that don’t care about their team. Lets say 1 second for each team hit and 20 seconds for each teamkill.

I really like the idea, but I would do something like 1sec for 10%dmg, that would then be 10 for killing a full health mate.

Whatever the numbers, I think it should depend on dmg. Accidently killing a mate who had 1hp shouldnt be punished that badly. (Imagine he was behind you, so you had no chance to see him, or he just rushes in)

• You can’t really implement TK punishments without implementing a ‘forgive’ mechanism,

Sometimes TK/Team-Damage is a calculated risk and totally acceptable, for instance, if you play LTS/TDM and you see 3-4 bunched up enemies attacking a single teammate and you’re a vanguard with a zweihander, doesn’t it make sense to charge attack into that group, even if you do wind up killing your teammate?

If it’s a 1vs1 or 1vs2, sure, try to be surgical, but if there are multiple enemies vs. a single teammate then I say his sacrifice is for a good cause.

• I actually use team damage as a tactic. I make the enemy team whack each other. Its pretty funny.

Though I remember one guy one the other te who kept getting teamkilled accidentally. I just saw his name in the killfeed all the time next to a team mate. Usually the same guy. He finally snapped and votekicke this guy who had tked him 3 times. Though this guy had 8% team damage. He just had the killing blow all the time. We calmed him down and he switched teams. He then had a “really” good game afte that. Killing all those who tked him and t-bagging them while chopping their limbs off.

There wans’t even much team damage flying around. And he was really one of the only people who got teamkilled at all.wrong place wrong time. 5 times.

Though after he switched teams that guy had a good time.