Pub archers- a detriment on both sides

• There are some skilled archers out there and they can be extremely effective and a huge asset to the team. This post is not about them. This is about your average joe pub bowmen.

After watching various archers in spec, i’ve noticed that those who use bows and javs seem to have a hit rate of about one in four shots. They tend to be a little more accurate with crossbows. This means that a (usually) large percentage of your team is not doing the objective and instead, for the most part, spamming arrows that aren’t hitting enemies. Though they can be good for defending objectives, especially on Hillside, once again most of the arrows they loose are missing and when they miss they are effectively doing nothing but creating a hazard for their teammates. They have a bad habit of shooting into crowds where they have an equal, if not greater chance of hitting friendlies.

This, in effect, means that most of the archers on your team, most of the time, are as helpful as AFKs, only AFKs don’t pose a risk of shooting teammates.

It takes a skilled player who can regularly hit his targets to be useful to the team. Otherwise, your team would be better off without archers because the enemies they kill don’t make up for the time they spent standing around missing and the team damage they create.

• Some people really hate archers.

I don’t hate archers. Though when I’m around some suddenly fall off cliffs others spontaneously burst into flames and the rest suffer sudden violent heart attacks where limbs and even the head can fall off.

• Can’t be an expert archer if you don’t practice, when I first got this game I couldn’t hit a thing, but now I’m much better and can hit the little toesies sticking out from under a tower shield or pick a head on a moving target. I’d also wager newbs playing vanman or knight probably don’t hit most of their melee attacks before getting killed or hitting their team. So why don’t we just give them some time and not worry about how bad they are doing until we start catching some hot TK?

• @Mike_Effing_Jones:

Can’t be an expert archer if you don’t practice, when I first got this game I couldn’t hit a thing, but now I’m much better and can hit the little toesies sticking out from under a tower shield or pick a head on a moving target. I’d also wager newbs playing vanman or knight probably don’t hit most of their melee attacks before getting killed or hitting their team. So why don’t we just give them some time and not worry about how bad they are doing until we start catching some hot TK?

That’s actually a good point. Noobs in melee do pretty much the same as noob archers. One guy joined a game first game ever. And his first kill ever was teamkilling me. Hit me 3 bloody times with his flail. He was directly behind me and I was doing 1v1 with an archer. I mean how stupid can you get. Even by noob standards that’s really bad.

Personally I give nooby archers advice. They choose to listen. After about two or three gajes you can easily tell apart the archers that listened to me to those that didn’t. Archers that listen to me are often closer, better positioned and don’t run away in melee. I can’t teach them how to aim. But positioning can make it so you hit your team less and if your close its easier to hit and if they get too close the nooby archers know that archers don’t suck in melee. They can even suprise skilled players for a bit. As they see an archer with a longbow and automatically assume noob. Thier archers can get a good 2-3 hits on them before it turns into a proper 1v1. Usually resulting in the nooby archers death but at least they got hits in. And they kill the less experianced.

• I went on a ‘classic’ non-official server yesterday and someone got everyone in the game to go archer… so it was essentially 6v6 all archer on both sides. I’m a bad archer, but I managed.

• @Mike_Effing_Jones:

Can’t be an expert archer if you don’t practice.

• So what they are learning like everyone else. Worry about what your doing, not what they’re doing. ;)

• @BandOfTheHawk:

So what they are learning like everyone else. Worry about what your doing, not what they’re doing. ;)

What they’re doing sucks and they shoot us in the back all the time.

• @lemonater47:

@BandOfTheHawk:

So what they are learning like everyone else. Worry about what your doing, not what they’re doing. ;)

What they’re doing sucks and they shoot us in the back all the time.

I mean they are learning, no ones is isnta good. I have seen some hate towards new players lately, like someone said yesterday omg XX is 0-14! I’m like omg you didn’t notice hes rank o? I guess I don’t mind running out on my own when I get hit in the back away from my allies so it does not bother me as much as most players. And if I get really annoyed well there is always team switch.

So yeah my advice is to take the road less traveled and avoid areas where noobs archers like to shoot arrows into mobs or team switch. I remember in the first month of release it was mayhem! Everyone was a noob, such fun times :).

p.s. I hate when I join a game, im 0-0 zero score, I pick archer and some ally runs up to me and smashes my poor archer head in archer rage. Im like jesus at least look at the score board or the name of the archer who shot you in the back before you go archer smashomatic.

• Archers who don’t listen to advice are the ones that annoy everyone.

And they are the ones that take the crap from the rest of the team. As they are usually standing near spawn and they shoot everyone in the back.

I remember we once only had treb 3 left to go. The one over the bridge. 4 of out archers stood at the cliff near the fire and the way down to treb 3. A bunch of us spawned and we all had the same idea. They all went swimming. Except for the rank 39 archers who just sucked shit. He got teamkilled.

• @lemonater47:

Archers who don’t listen to advice are the ones that annoy everyone.

And they are the ones that take the crap from the rest of the team. As they are usually standing near spawn and they shoot everyone in the back.

I remember we once only had treb 3 left to go. The one over the bridge. 4 of out archers stood at the cliff near the fire and the way down to treb 3. A bunch of us spawned and we all had the same idea. They all went swimming. Except for the rank 39 archers who just sucked shit. He got teamkilled.

I turned rank 39 2 days ago. And I have actually been trying out archer here and there lately. If you weren’t in new zealand I might think you were talking about me. But I am a decent archer :) and havent been team killed in ages.

What is your in game name, mines Guts.

p.s. I’v taken a like lately to shooting archers with the cross bow, its really easy. Fight fire with fire?

• @BandOfTheHawk:

@lemonater47:

Archers who don’t listen to advice are the ones that annoy everyone.

I turned rank 39 2 days ago. And I have actually been trying out archer here and there lately. If you weren’t in new zealand I might think you were talking about me. But I am a decent archer :) and havent been team killed in ages.

What is your in game name, mines Guts.

p.s. I’v taken a like lately to shooting archers with the cross bow, its really easy. Fight fire with fire?

It wasn’t you. Low rank archers get the occasional kick from other players. High ranks can find a sword in their back if they are bad.

If we have bad archers I often have To go archer to counter their archers. I don’t get abuse as in the right place. I’m up there with the team and I usually don’t shoot my team in the back.

• Btw I meant I like shooting the other teams archers with the crossbow. But yeah though newbs really hate dying to other archers, at least I did, killing them with a archer is the best way to cut down on archers.