Archers and crosshairs

• Alright… pretty self-explanatory, but I’m just curious.

How many of you think a good restriction on archers would be to remove the crosshair?

I cast my vote in favor of the removal of the crucifix-shaped optical aid.

• Yeah its unnecessary to have cross hairs for archery. In IRL you aim by looking at the position of the arrow and the tip of the arrow, you can do the same thing in he game……
    Its just as scary in real life as it is in game the first time you fire off your first ever three arrows and have no aiming aids.
    That’s not to say that an aiming needle couldn’t be added to the xbows and war bow, but the cross hair should go bye bye.

• Had to remove that stupid thing !

Crosshair and imba bolt speed makes that crossbow so lame and OP. And because of that people keep complaining about the “OP archers”. Damn it ! Not Archer, Crossbowmen ! ><
    And it makes the Bow so easy to use. That disgust me !

However, removing the crosshair would be unfair to javelin and the rock thrower thing (yeah yeah, don’t get the english name). They should have at least the guiding finger, as in AoC.

• Only remove crosshairs if you won’t use it as an excuse to not nerf/fundamentally change archers. Otherwise, keep it and just nerf/fundamentally change them.

• Back in early alpha stage of Chivalry, all the ranged weapons where suppose to be iron/point edge sighted as it is in Age of Chivalry, however throwing weapon had no accuracy guidence except for the Javelins. You had this very inaccurate hand-aiming with Throwables outside Javelins. Imagine the today’s Sling if it were suppose to have the old aiming system.

I personally think that replacing the Old aoc aiming style with a Crosshair has sort of reduced the Archer skill ceiling with the factor of not having needs to teach yourself how to actually aim with the weapon, heck it took me five months before I fully understood the Age of Chivalry Longbow aiming perfectly, still rubbish at Javelin throws. People managed to do that, and those whom actually knew how to aim with those weapons were godlike. Its a shame in my opinion that Torn Banner did decide to take this direction, but I can kinda understand them as it may seem frustrating to actually aim with something inaccurate, I had my share of that through out Age of Chivalry, but… Learning how to be better and better at something hard use to be so much fun back in Age of Chivalry, constantly something you could improve on.

Now what I would love to see, is if this “PROMOD” would live up to its name and probably take it to their consideration to restore the ironsight project, if their goal is truely to make a modification of the game made for Professional players, though must Archers would probably hang me for saying this.

Hopefully Torn Banner could maybe make the ironsight and crosshair optional?

PS: Melee crosshairs is very uneccesarry, please give us least one opportunity to disable crosshair when using melee weapons, should be easy to do with people who are probably well educated coders, right?

• @wildwulfy:

PS: Melee crosshairs is very uneccesarry, please give us least one opportunity to disable crosshair when using melee weapons, should be easy to do with people who are probably well educated coders, right?

Press U and thank me later.

• Also would like to point out that I disagree with that Archery is overpowered in Chivalry as it is right now, in recent competive matches of late which is running low due to our splitted community. I’ve yet to see crossbowman actually prefered before the Warbow archer. Crossbows are very weak on attack because they can’t hang on to their team to well because their mobility is low. Warbow archer can move while reloading and aiming with ease(slight movement reduction while string is drawn) which allows the Archer to procced more often. Though then again the Crossbows are very effective on defence due to its accuracy & damage that beats both the Bows and Throwing Spears-

Don’t let thoughts of public matches affect your opinion too much, cause there is more factors than the Archer. Say I could maybe bring four-five well trained players to cooperate with me on a public server, we would all go with Vanguard Brandistock (Brandibro) Tactic as I call it. Its a complete pub-stomper because its used so well in high populated servers, though the Brandistock is rarely used in scrims. And by means to balance the game after Public - Causual play would totally kill the competive scene, making Promod the ONLY viable competive way of playing Chivalry, Same goes for Archers really, and if you got a problem? Why not try convincing your team to play with more tactical? rather than mindlessly running about with slashes? You could always go Archer yourself TO counter enemy archers. Or just pick a shield…use them, they are effective. Walking in a straight line without thinking is no valid arguement towards to having Archers nerfed.

That’s just my opinions all together after reading a couple of threads that bears the same topic, Archer being too overpowered…pssh…

• @Event:

@wildwulfy:

Explain to me why I should even thank you when you are being too ignorant to see what I mean? I would love if there was a simple coding, command or whatever that could enable it so that when the player is wielding a ranged weapon (each weapon has a weapon name/code so that’s not too biggie to code) then the Crosshair could stay enabled, and once you swap to a melee weapon, it would automatically turn off… I just don’t like the idea about constantly hitting “U” (Default key) for each and everytime I would change between ranged and melee or opposite.

• @wildwulfy:

Imagine the today’s Sling if it were suppose to have the old aiming system.

Tried in FFA. Don’t move your mouse, aim with your movement. Place the target in the middle of the screen, and follow his track. (But never with the mouse).
    Strange, not the best effective way, but funny x]

Yup. That was an almost useless post.

• People will only put a little dot in the middle of their screen.

And the archer doesn’t actually aim his bow or crossbow properly at all.

• Remember the smoke bombs!!!

• @wildwulfy:

Also would like to point out that I disagree with that Archery is overpowered in Chivalry as it is right now, in recent competive matches of late which is running low due to our splitted community.

Don’t let thoughts of public matches affect your opinion too much, cause there is more factors than the Archer. Say I could maybe bring four-five well trained players to cooperate with me on a public server, we would all go with Vanguard Brandistock (Brandibro) Tactic as I call it. Its a complete pub-stomper because its used so well in high populated servers, though the Brandistock is rarely used in scrims. And by means to balance the game after Public - Causual play would totally kill the competive scene, making Promod the ONLY viable competive way of playing Chivalry, Same goes for Archers really, and if you got a problem? Why not try convincing your team to play with more tactical? rather than mindlessly running about with slashes? You could always go Archer yourself TO counter enemy archers. Or just pick a shield…use them, they are effective. Walking in a straight line without thinking is no valid arguement towards to having Archers nerfed.

That’s just my opinions all together after reading a couple of threads that bears the same topic, Archer being too overpowered…pssh…

Pro tip #1: No one plays competitively on live any more, you just admitted it your self, Pro Mod is for that. Live is only for pubbing.

Pro tip #2: Pubbing only counts when you’re solo. Bringing 4-5 friends doesn’t make it a pub any more. You can do well with 4-5 players of anything in there, even if you all used fist only, so do it alone for it to count as “pubbing.” TBS should balance Chivalry around solo pubs, and let Pro Mod be the go-to for serious play. Us 1000+ hour elitists will likely never agree with the direction Chivalry took after the last patch and since they’re unwilling to revert, I doubt we will ever play anything other than Pro Mod for serious play.

Pro tip #3: If you’re able to convince your team mates to do anything, any kind of co-operation, any kind of communication, any kind of teamwork or tactics or strategy of any kind of cohesion other than spawning and rushing the objective immediately, then it’s no longer a solo pub. Because that happens so very rarely and randomly that it can’t be used as any form valid argument. You have to -hope- that they will listen to you when you spam “WAIT IN SPAWN FOR A LARGE GROUP FIRST” instead of rushing the moment they respawn on Agatha Battlegrounds. A solo pub is when everyone is random, everyone is solo, and no one is reading chat and/or doing extremely little teamwork. Solo pubs should allow lone wolf players who are skilled enough to win the games completely by themselves: last patch was the most like this and why Chivalry was so incredible. It wasn’t 100% like this, but it was way moreso than it is now. Any class that forces you to play another/that class to beat it is by definition OP. Why should I be forced to play archer just to beat archers? That’s like saying the only way to beat top tier characters in a fighting game is to play a top tiered character. That’s wrong.

Pro tip #4: Shields, serpentine, unpredictable movement, jumps, whatever doesn’t make you immune to archers. It doesn’t even make you immune to bad archers. 24p TO Battlegrounds, cart’s at 75%, you’re Agatha, you’re knight with a shield, enemy team has 5 archers, 3 bad ones 2 good ones. All it takes is one arrow to completely ruin you. The chances of those 5 archers hitting you is much greater than the chances of you not getting hit while you’re trying to win, no matter what you do. You have to hope they’re bad and will let you sneak flank them, or they will miss and hit your shield, or whatever.

Pro tip #5: The vast majority of people who play Chivalry now play solo pubs. What little was in the competitive scene was destroyed with the past patch because of the poor decisions made by Torn Banner. Pro Mod is the saving grace, but Pro Mod doesn’t offer solo pub stomping.

• @lemonater47:

People will only put a little dot in the middle of their screen.

And the archer doesn’t actually aim his bow or crossbow properly at all.

Well if you’re a cunt and play in 3rd person then the aim is pretty fucked without crosshair, yes.
    But if you’re a manly man’s man and play in 1st person aiming without crosshair is pisseasy.

Been playing crosshair archer for quite a long time and I was mediocre at best.

Disabled it and I find it actually easier and -much more important- more immersive. Javelins and Sling are quite hard but you get used to them. Sling is simply “concentrate on the middle of the screen” and is a good training for your eyes. :P
    Bows are quite easy, small adjustments to your “zeroing” and you’re done. Same goes for Crossbows.

So yes, PRO DISABLED! Nobody needs crosshairs, Archers should only be able to rock the servers if they’re really, really, really good. Which is simply not the case atm.

• Well said.

• I switched off my crosshairs after reading this and must admit my aim has gotten much better since. Interesting. My aim was always fairly good but I am not missing many shots even without. Nice. :)

• @wildwulfy:

@Event:

@wildwulfy:

Explain to me why I should even thank you when you are being too ignorant to see what I mean? I would love if there was a simple coding, command or whatever that could enable it so that when the player is wielding a ranged weapon (each weapon has a weapon name/code so that’s not too biggie to code) then the Crosshair could stay enabled, and once you swap to a melee weapon, it would automatically turn off… I just don’t like the idea about constantly hitting “U” (Default key) for each and everytime I would change between ranged and melee or opposite.

I fail to see how Event’s reply could be considered ‘ignorant.’ Without your passive-aggressive reply, there was no way to infer that you wished to have crosshairs on for archer and off for melee as a default. As it stands, your wording suggests that you merely wish for the option to disable melee crosshairs, which is, in fact, already coded into the game.