Health Regeneration

• I think health regeneration needs a look. I was switching between classes and noticed that it takes all classes the same time to refill their health bar, roughly 25-30 seconds, depending on stamina. This is a bit of a double boon for the heavy classes, seeing as they can regenerate more in the same time, while also having less to regenerate from the same injury.

This seems backwards, particularly as the light classes have less to gain from regenerating. A Knight choosing to regenerate his health bar is looking at going from being able to take 1 hit to many, while an archer is spending thirty seconds on his ass only to still be in a position to die in one hit anyway.*

*I know there are weapons that’ll kill a knight in 1 or take many to kill an archer, but, broadly speaking.

• Depending on stamina? What?

I think about this a lot, but the problem is it would make archer vs archer fights a lot more boring. Archers and MaAs don’t need any sort of buffs at all right now either. But I do kinda’ wish health regen was a tad faster to bring up the pace of the game.

• I agree. Maybe make the time to regen from 0-100 from 30 seconds to 15 or 20 seconds.

• @SOC:

Depending on stamina? What?

My impression was that health doesn’t start regenerating until stamina is full. I timed it a couple of times just while playing, hardly the most accurate. But it is the same rate for every class.

More boring how? At the moment I see it that maa, and to a lesser extent archers, don’t even bother trying to regenerate. They’re just suicidal.

• It’s part of the balanced between the heavier classes taking less damage. If lighter classes regenerated health faster they would in many scenarios have more health than the heavier classes.

If a knight and a MaA redline each other, what would be the balance if they both step back and regen 1 hit of health, the favor would be towards the MaA and it would be imbalanced. The knight would be forced to put on pressure to balance this out, creating even more imbalance outside of 1v1.

• @dpunk:

If a knight and a MaA redline each other, what would be the balance if they both step back and regen 1 hit of health, the favor would be towards the MaA and it would be imbalanced. The knight would be forced to put on pressure to balance this out, creating even more imbalance outside of 1v1.

Currently, the opposite is happening. If a Knight and an MAA redline each other and take some time to regenerate, then anything short of 25 seconds is in the Knight’s favour, as he is looking at multiple hits while the MAA is still firmly in one-hit territory. You claim it’s wrong for the Knight to be under pressure to end the fight, but that’s the exact situation MAA and Archers find themselves in now. Why is this OK?

I’m not aiming to balance for 1v1. I’m also not saying the rate of regeneration should be made so that everyone can regenerate the same damage in equal time, but it could certainly be tweaked in that direction.

• @McLumberjack:

If a Knight and an MAA redline each other and take some time to regenerate, then anything short of 25 seconds is in the Knight’s favour, as he is looking at multiple hits while the MAA is still firmly in one-hit territory.

The classes are balanced around the MaA being a softer target than the knight. Why should they regen at the same effective health rate? It removes any disadvantage of the MaA class if any kind of health regeneration happens. It also means that if a player is skilled enough, the MaA has a huge advantage over other classes because he essentially has the same effective health as the knight.

• I think the ONLY times that health regen sucks are when you can respawn AND get back to the position you were faster than regen… so you might as well just die and respawn rather than heal. If you’re too far away though and regen in 30 seconds is somehow faster, then it’s good.

So i’d say SOMETIMES it takes too long, and other times it makes sense. Kind of a toss-up.

• @dpunk:

The classes are balanced around the MaA being a softer target than the knight. Why should they regen at the same effective health rate? It removes any disadvantage of the MaA class if any kind of health regeneration happens. It also means that if a player is skilled enough, the MaA has a huge advantage over other classes because he essentially has the same effective health as the knight.

Regenerating IN a fight is rather unlikely, and if you let your opponent do that then frankly you deserve everything you get. The delay between combat and regeneration is what stops this being exploitable, and I’m not suggesting changing that at all.

My concern is the broader melee, how different classes can recover between fights. A Knight can take 10 seconds and gain something because an extra third on his health bar will make the difference between life and death. It, broadly speaking, won’t for an MAA or Archer. Yes, they’re supposed to be soft targets, but the difference is they’re STILL soft targets after regenerating. So taking the time to do it is less rewarding than it is for the Knight and Van.

Once again, I didn’t say the same effective rate. Just a tweak in that direction to give the lighter classes more incentive to preserve their lives.

• Effective Health Points.

Pretty sure this is an important balancing aspect. Health regen seems fine.

Armored classes benefit more from it. And you don’t want it to be too fast, especially for TO. People time their pushes to respawns so they might not be at full health at the time of reinforcement.

Even in LTS. Camping is already too good, don’t make it easier to camp if you get hit by an archer or something.

• @SOC:

I think about this a lot, but the problem is it would make archer vs archer fights a lot more boring. Archers and MaAs don’t need any sort of buffs at all right now either. But I do kinda’ wish health regen was a tad faster to bring up the pace of the game.

Thats just your opinion. a lot of people think man at arms needs a buff (at least more stamina pool), like me. i also think projectile speed of archers needs to be nerfed (which it is, at least somewhat i think in the beta)

• @Psyfon:

@SOC:

Thats just your opinion. a lot of people think man at arms needs a buff (at least more stamina pool), like me. i also think projectile speed of archers needs to be nerfed (which it is, at least somewhat i think in the beta)

Before every bites your head off for suggesting MaA buffs, I’ll just say you should wait until next patch when they fix the current bugs with the MaA and his dodge being disabled/not responding.
    MaA aren’t even at their strongest in the live game, he’s about to get a whole lot stronger with the new patch if anything.

• @NoVaLombardia:

Pretty sure this is an important balancing aspect.

As it is? It’s the same rate for every class, and as far as I know that hasn’t changed in any update. I’m pretty sure it’s never been considered for balance at all, let alone that it’s been nailed on the first try.

It’s odd that you should mention timed pushes because it’s something I’ve thought about. Say an MAA and a Knight are working together, they fight a vanguard and take the same hit. The knight regenerates his health in 10 seconds, the MAA takes 30. How is that any better for cohesion?

Now there’s lots of ways to approach that. You could have them both take 10, or both take 30. But the MAA should take longer, in my view, as his injury is more grave and he was better equipped to avoid it. But you could tweak it to bring it a bit closer, have the knight take 15 or the MAA 25, or 20.