How do you not suck ass as an archer?

• Rank 39 knight main here. I only really played enough archer to get all the unlocks. I never played it that much at all outside of that.

How does one get to a point where their aim isn’t balls?

• practice makes better.

It’s not really so much about aiming and more about predicting. Wait for them to go over your crosshair and make the shot. For medium-long range shots when melee fights are happening, try to take a shot when the enemy is about to attack one of your teammates (right after when he parries usually).

• Having a lower mouse sensitivity helps.

Holding down alt helps.

Aiming is only half of it. Positioning is a major part and you need to know that people fighting you will be over confident. Use that to your advantage.

• Training. Being Patient. Anticipation.
    Not using Crosshair and Broadhead.

The fact is, being a good archer (and by that, I mean a bow user. Xbow user aren’t archer. They’re Xbowmen), takes times. You have to understand the arrow and different class speed. What kind of patterns can have some players, and in witch situation.
    If you start a range fight, it’s important to understand what is the other archer patterns. Will he go left 2 times between each shot. Will he stop and crouch ? Jump on the right at this precise time. etc…

In my opinion, it’s about 50/50 between anticipation and aim. (Without crosshair).

Then, you have some basics tips. If you can’t hit shit, then choose some free target. That running for his life vanguard over there, or the knight rushing at you there. Don’t try to help a teamates in close combat. You’ll help the wrong guys. (plus, allies have some issues with their movement and your arrow. Always switching in the wrong place).

Don’t aim for the head when you’re starting as archer. The body is cool. Big fatty and with the most reliable hitbox. Legs are a bit random and heads are for the time you’ll feel ready.

And really important. Don’t think your people gonna cover your back. They’ll rarely does so. To affraid for they life to try to save yours.

• Of course the crosshair is way easier.

• @Liori:

Don’t try to help a teamates in close combat. You’ll help the wrong guys. (plus, allies have some issues with their movement and your arrow. Always switching in the wrong place).

I can’t agree with this. Being able to consistently assist melee is one (remember, ONE) of the features that separates the best archers from your above average archers.

• @NoVaLombardia:

@Liori:

Don’t try to help a teamates in close combat. You’ll help the wrong guys. (plus, allies have some issues with their movement and your arrow. Always switching in the wrong place).

I can’t agree with this. Being able to consistently assist melee is one (remember, ONE) of the features that separates the best archers from your above average archers.

I agree, but when you’re starting out, it’d probably be best to practice without causing your team a bunch of headaches.

• Projectiles have 100% accuracy and projectile speeds are very high. As long as you have <100ms ping and a decent framerate, I don’t see how archery could be made easier.

3 parts to being a good archer:

1. Aiming skill, same as in any FPS. Catch zig zaggers when they change direction. Get close if you aren’t landing hits.

2. Picking your targets. Knowing when to shoot the distant static archer, or the close shield user in the legs. Comes down to experience, and memorizing damage values.

3. Melee skill. Half of my kills as an archer come from melee.

Bonus points if you can get your friendly fire damage below 5%.

• @FrostFire626:

As long as you have <100ms ping

hits are client side anyway. So ping doesn’t exactly matter for landing your shots, unless you try to shoot someone shooting you at the same time.

• Or you could just be a dedicated melee archer like me. Shoot random shots to lure them in and then… BAM!!

• Be right behind your melee instead of on the other side of the map. You’ll hit teammates less and enemies more, and can assist in melee with your backstab bonus.

Alright, not literally right behind them. But be at the closest spot where there’s cover - let the other archers on the enemy team sitting 10 miles away waste their time trying to hit you as you weave in and out of cover taking potshots at their melee. Run away if your front lines start to crumble so you can assist the reinforcements rather than dying valiantly without achieving anything. Unless you see the fight turn too late to run, then you might as well give them a few pokes before you die.

• @Event:

@NoVaLombardia:

@Liori:

I agree, but when you’re starting out, it’d probably be best to practice without causing your team a bunch of headaches.

Was my point. Of course, supporting your melee fellow is the thing that makes you usefull. But if he don’t know how to play the archers classes, he would end up in TK.

• Though it may seem counterintuitive, becoming comfortable in melee is absolutely essential. Whether it is to last long enough for your team to reinforce you or backstabbing opponents for that perfect assist/kill, archer melee is what separates the top-tier archers from the average. Aiming just takes time really.

What I would suggest is to literally play matches without using your bow/xbow/javelin. I do this from time to time to practice my archer melee, just go the entire match charging right alongside your knights, vanguards, and maa.

• @SlyGoat:

Be right behind your melee instead of on the other side of the map.

Yeah this, a good archer stays close to melee, close enough to get plenty of hits but enough teammates to not engage in hand to hand combat. Know when to retreat. Of course being excellent with a shortsword helps.

Practice will allow you to hit moving targets from a variety of ranges.

• @SHH_:

Though it may seem counterintuitive, becoming comfortable in melee is absolutely essential. What I would suggest is to literally play matches without using your bow/xbow/javelin. I do this from time to time to practice my archer melee,

My first 3000 duels were actually as archer. It wasn’t popular so I wanted to try it.

Since archer melee is generally weaker than the other classes, it forces you to get good at melee quickly, because you have to try harder, naturally. I can honestly say that my melee ability improved fast because of this.

Archers pretty much are dead from 1 mistake at melee, and have weaker weapons.

• ARCHERS SUCK ASS!
    Indeed, knight here too bro…

• Since archer melee is generally weaker than the other classes, it forces you to get good at melee quickly, because you have to try harder, naturally. I can honestly say that my melee ability improved fast because of this.

Archers are now more potent in melee than many think. You need to outsmart skilled melee archer in order to beat him. Unless you have numerical superiority and many heavy-hitters attacking at once…

• @Holy.Death:

Since archer melee is generally weaker than the other classes, it forces you to get good at melee quickly, because you have to try harder, naturally. I can honestly say that my melee ability improved fast because of this.

Archers are now more potent in melee than many think. You need to outsmart skilled melee archer in order to beat him. Unless you have numerical superiority and many heavy-hitters attacking at once…

Backpwding works against archers. Especially if you hit them to knock them back.

• @Holy.Death:

Archers are now more potent in melee than many think.

Archers get overrated in melee by many people as well and don’t understand the clear advantage they really have.

Is it a free win? No, it shouldn’t be. But their weapons are far weaker compared to the primaries of others, due to range, power, etc, especially when coupled with class tankiness, dodginess, etc. People who don’t believe this blame archer melee as overpowered instead of blaming their own skill.

• Learn to lead your shots, and trust your instincts. It can take a while, but like any playstyle, practice makes perfect.

Oh and get used to exploiting the smeg out of the shortsword, because its gonna be your lifesaver when the angry meleer’s come screamin’.