Thoughts on the Dedicated Server
I’ve just set up my first Chivalry dedicated server, first I’d just want to share my overall experience getting it set up. Then I’d like to make some suggestions/requests that I’d like to see from future versions.
- Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard Edition (64-bit) VPS
- 4 core CPU
- 8 GB of RAM
- 40 GB of HDD space
Downloading and installing the server was fairly easy with SteamCMD. After I configured it, I was getting some runtime errors. I found that I was missing these components, which I couldn’t find mentioned anywhere:
- DirectX End-User Runtime
- Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable Package (x86)
Once those were installed the server started up and was working fine. I configured it to be a 32 player server and at first this was fine, however after about 24 people joined the server started to lag heavily and all pings shot up above 100ms, making the game unplayable.
Looking at my resource monitor, I could see that the Chivalry server was only utilizing one of my CPU cores. This made me have to reduce the number of players to 18 which seemed stable.
Suggestions/Requests for future versions:
- Ability to utilize multiple CPU cores. I think this would increase the stability of the server with a larger amount of players
- A 64-bit version, as most Windows servers aren’t 32-bit and haven’t been for years
- A Linux version if possible
- A way to create custom server-side scripts or compile my own modules for the server to create my own customizations
- Better yet, I’d really love if you could make the server open-source. That would encourage community development and I think we’d see some really cool mods
Well thanks for reading and I hope you appreciate my suggestions!
– SirLancelot –