Please add a 150 ping limit on every duel/ping limit server

• Anything more than 150 kind’ve makes ping limit servers pointless, and no one likes to duel with people above 150 ping.

I think most people agree that 150+ ping is unacceptably high for a server.

• This post is deleted!

• nice to know, do you have a source?

• tl;dr

Ping isn’t a 100% accurate measure of “lag” or network quality, no. I have terribly bad packet loss here and even though I have 70 ping on many servers, it still took me 36 hours to download Chivalry. 70 ping on my home net and only took me an hour at most to download Chivalry.

But anything above 90 ping in Chivalry is automatically bad. It affects way too much and those miliseconds where you’re trying to hit your enemy before you get hit and you’re both one hit from death really matters. No one wants to deal with it. 150 ping is definitely not too strict, because there’s plenty of other official servers that don’t have a ping limit. Considering we can’t see ping in duel servers, it most definitely needs a 150 ping limit.

• They need to make the ping limit actually work. At the moment It doesn’t kick people at all.

And 36 hours to download chivalry???

Took me like 1 hour.

• @SOC:

I think most people agree

No

• It all depends on the engine/netcode. In CSS a bad ping (everything worse than 60) is not as bad as in this game imo.

• @afiNity:

It all depends on the engine/netcode. In CSS a bad ping (everything worse than 60) is not as bad as in this game imo.

CSS is all servers use while most other FPS games are clientside. Hit detection that is.

Servers use hit section means that when you run around the corner nobody can hit you even if they still see you on your screen. But in an open fight its horrible as your shots look as though they are landing when they aren’t. Ping matters and people with lower ping do a hell of a lot better.

Clientside hit section overall makes the game more satisfying for everyone. As what you shoot dies.

No idea why people want server side hit section in BF4 for one situation making the game worse overall. Idiots who have never played counter strike.

• @SOC:

Considering we can’t see ping in duel servers, it most definitely needs a 150 ping limit.

But WHY don’t we see them on duel servers?

Honestly I think a better interface for duel mode would make the whole thing 100% better. Better challenge/accept system, ability to kick from UI, and ability to see ping.

I’d prefer to see that happen before a ping auto-kick is put into place.

• Agree, you notice when one 150+ ping guy joins, but when another one joins. Game becomes unplayable. Warping, lag spikes. Ghost swings. Parry fails, etc.

• @SOC:

But anything above 90 ping in Chivalry is automatically bad. It affects way too much and those miliseconds where you’re trying to hit your enemy before you get hit and you’re both one hit from death really matters. No one wants to deal with it. 150 ping is definitely not too strict, because there’s plenty of other official servers that don’t have a ping limit. Considering we can’t see ping in duel servers, it most definitely needs a 150 ping limit.

I agree with this ^, for other games it doesn’t matter much but for C:MW anything consistently over 80ms is a problem.

I think 150ms cap range is fair.

• I agree with ya SOC, even 150 is high to me. Hell i’ve had like 76 ping on servers before and notice a performance loss. It doesn’t matter that like “if you both have a shitty ping then you’re on even ground” fuck that… that just means you BOTH can’t parry effectively or judge strikes effectively. Plus the teleporting glitchiness occurs, it’s terrible for both sides regardless. And then… if someone (which has already happened) says 200 ping is as low as it should go… someone with 200 ping is both VERY hard to hit, and you have to parry SO much sooner to actually block the attacks incoming… 200 ping is awful. Anything over like 75-80 is bad. I agree that 150 max, but i’d even say lower than that like 120.

What’s the point of having a ping limit if you’re still going against or having shitty ping?

• @clayton-bigsby:

I agree with ya SOC, even 150 is high to me. Hell i’ve had like 76 ping on servers before and notice a performance loss. It doesn’t matter that like “if you both have a shitty ping then you’re on even ground” fuck that… that just means you BOTH can’t parry effectively or judge strikes effectively. Plus the teleporting glitchiness occurs, it’s terrible for both sides regardless. And then… if someone (which has already happened) says 200 ping is as low as it should go… someone with 200 ping is both VERY hard to hit, and you have to parry SO much sooner to actually block the attacks incoming… 200 ping is awful. Anything over like 75-80 is bad. I agree that 150 max, but i’d even say lower than that like 120.

What’s the point of having a ping limit if you’re still going against or having shitty ping?

Well they should make SOME of the servers have a low ping kick. Some at 120 others at 200. So people withen the country can play on all servers and people close to the server can play without any high pingers. Even if you ony have half the servers with a ping limit it will draw players to servers closer too them. As some people don’t know what ping is. They just pick a server.

• This post is deleted!

• From my experience when I play with good ping (under 50ms) it’s significantly easier for me to parry and block incoming attacks, when I play with anything over 80ms it becomes much more difficult to defend against fast weapons and vanguard/bearded-axe ripostes and I constantly see hits going through my block without being able to do much about it.

Of course it’s much more noticeable when dueling, in other modes you can play with up to 150ms without feeling crippled as they’re more about range than timing and pinpoint accuracy.

• I think 150ms is a good cap range because whilst you might average 60-80ms whats to say that there’s not going to be a brief spike.

Its no good if everyone is averaging less then 80ms and then for some reason (ISP’s) there is a spike in the ping and 1/2 the server gets vote kicked because they got up to 81ms :O

• although that benj0.0 guy seems to really know what he’s talking about, I’m going to go ahead and say contradictory stuff anyway. For me it seems when I get around 100 ping I know I’m going to start having gameplay issues in duels with lag, and I usually get off at the point because, well, it would be lame otherwise (duels).

since for some mystical and hopefully good reason that duels servers don’t have ping displays on the menu, I doubt there’s going to be any chance of seeing any other implementation like what OP is talking about

• Every time this is brought up:

But I like to play with my friends that live in a remote yak raising village from eastern europe. Besides ping doesn’t always mean lag, just most of the time from 90-120ms and in cases where ping is greater than 200!!!

The vast majority of chiv players don’t play at a high level, they don’t see the differences lag can make.

• @benj0.0:

There seems to be a general lack of knowledge among gamers of how it actually works and what it can effect in-game. In my experience 150ms is way too strict a limit and it really shouldn’t be set any lower than 200 and even that may be harsh.

First of all ping only measure network latency, i.e. how long it takes for the server and players PC to communicate with each other. It does not indicate how fast the actual network connection is. In reality a ping of 100-200ms is perfectly fine for gaming and any issues should be quite rare if the connection is healthy. If you see a player in that range teleporting or desyncing then the likely culprit is lag on the server side or a problem with their actual connection rather than the ping just being too high. Of course a high ping can indicate connection issues but it can happens with low ping connections too.

Various groups have tested ping in regards to online gaming and it has been shown that there really isn’t much different between pings under 150ms. From 20 to 150 is noticeable but from 50 to 150 doesn’t show a huge difference. In fact it’s pretty unlikely that players who cannot see their ping would actually be able to tell if their ping was on the higher or lower end of that scale. It’s very much a mental thing and similar to screens on smartphones. IF can show people two identical screens and tell them one of them is a new model (i.e. the iphone 4 vs iphone 5 prank) then a lot of them will actually convince themselves it is better. Ping, like DPI, is very hard to recognize though unless you are in the very low range (<50) or in a high one (200-250+). Once pings start going too far above 200 desyncing issues do start to become far more common; the common effect of this is players teleporting around the map. I’m just going on anecdotal experience but it does also seem that a high number of lagging players can cause the actual server to start lagging too.

It should also be pointed out that high ping is actually a massive disadvantage. if your ping is lower then it means you are getting everything from the server faster than your opponent is. That means your attacks are harder to block, your hits likely will land first, and hit trading and flinching will be in your favour. Furthermore when you see a high ping player (300ms+) desyncing/ghosting then on their end likely things are a lot worse on their side where everyone would seem like they are lagging. I do agree servers should have ping limits but I think the hatred against higher ping players is just misplaced frustration with players quick to blame lag rather than their own skills.

Agreed. Iv never seen anyone with 250+ ping do any good, usually they are like 3-13.

• it’s about what you see, if you see a player with 250+ ping, they stutter all over the place, it’s very hard for you to hit them, and they can just lmb spam and you can’t even block their attacks. Today, even folks at 80-90 ping were all stuttering around and forcing missed swings because you see them in one place, then they are another and you don’t see the in between, so they just teleport/stutter around. Even swings are not smooth as they stutter too.

I’d be willing to play on ping limit 120 servers, or even 100 or less. I’d say 150 is probably perfect. Fuck anything over 200. I understand that some areas of the world don’t have many chiv servers so players are forced to play far away sometimes or all the time, but ffs… theres GOT to be something closer to europe than american servers right!? I have no idea where the 280+ pingers are from but there HAS to be servers closer to you. that kind of ping is both unplayable, and unplayable against. Especially when you have a very low ping, like below 50 going against that is like ridiculous.