Flinch locks

• Ok, I am just going to put this as plainly as I can.

If you are walking down the sidewalk and someone comes up to you and punches and after he hits you, you cannot move/counter/retaliate/anything for 5 whole seconds and every consecutive time he hits you that counter resets back to 0.

Q. How fair is that in a game?
    A. You tell me

Q. How realistic is that?
    A. You tell me

Q. How much fun is that?
    A. You tell me

Please post your answers below. I would like to know what you all think.

• @Johnny:

Ok, I am just going to put this as plainly as I can.

If you are walking down the sidewalk and someone comes up to you and punches and after he hits you, you cannot move/counter/retaliate/anything for 5 whole seconds and every consecutive time he hits you that counter resets back to 0.

A. You tell me

A. You tell me

Q. How much fun is that?
    A. You tell me

I’m not sure how this applies to chivalry balance or game mechanics, but i’ll give you my answers.

1 it wouldn’t be fair at all in this game
    2 it wouldn’t be realistic, unless your knocked out/dead, you can move immediately after/while being hit irl
    3 it doesn’t sound like it would be fun for me

• If only there was some kind of block ability that you could use to stop the player’s next attack hitting you. Hmmm…

• i think an evade ability would work better

• i kind of know what you mean. Yes you can in most cases block the 2nd attack. But this happens to me all the time, i may get hit by one attack, see a combo coming and get ready to parry, but i can not parry, i just stand there helplessly and have to eat the 2nd hit as well. Happens a lot when i play maa, i can try and parry dodge, i can spam the buttons i can press them slowly, no matter what he’ll just stand there and eat the 2nd hit. I’m sure others have had this experience numerous times. It almost feels as bad as waiting for that stun timer to end.

• No idea what you’re talking about. If you’re stunned you get hit then block the next attack/duck/dodge it. And since when does the counter reset to 0?

• @Oy:

No idea what you’re talking about. If you’re stunned you get hit then block the next attack/duck/dodge it. And since when does the counter reset to 0?

the original poster is making up an exaggerated scenario to talk about current flinch times. I was talking about something that actually happens. He was exaggerating to make a point, but it’s quite confusing since it’s quite an over exaggeration, at least i THINK that’s what he was trying to do.

• This only happens to me when I accidentally start an attack right before I start a parry, or when I’m playing javelin and get hit during reload.

• I loved the beta version where you could block Instantly after being struck, preventing these stupid comboes hitting you twice without you being able to prevent it. This can be done often by hitting the opponent at the end of the release, cause you might want to flinch your opponent at the end of the release and not the beginning, then the time between those two attack will be a lot shorter, granting you the ability to maybe push in another hit against the opponent, very frustrating when fighting a fast one-handed weapon or something.

• Yeah, I’d love to see flintlocks implemented in the game. It would be a pretty cool accessory to the archer. We could have OHK’s and a reload time of about 20 seconds, combined with wild inaccuracy.

• @Carolean:

Yeah, I’d love to see flintlocks implemented in the game. It would be a pretty cool accessory to the archer. We could have OHK’s and a reload time of about 20 seconds, combined with wild inaccuracy.

flinch

• @Carolean:

Yeah, I’d love to see flintlocks implemented in the game. It would be a pretty cool accessory to the archer. We could have OHK’s and a reload time of about 20 seconds, combined with wild inaccuracy.

Hahaha, this guy must be even higher than I am.

• @Johnny:

As slower weapons have both more damage on single strikes and more overall damage output (DPS) and in most cases even more reach flinch gives lighter weapons a chance without needing to give them insane output values or insane speed.

@Johnny:

Somebody is about to lift his mighty battle axe when a dagger is buried in his arm. Thats painful and might cause him to stop lifting his battle axe further (= in windup). Of course if he already finished lifting he can just let it go and strike anyways (=in release). Realism would even go a step further and would have a negative impact on all future attacks or even make them impossible.

@Johnny:

Q. How much fun is that?

For the slow weapon user it adds some depth as he has to avoid getting hit instead of just hittrading all the time. For the fast weapon user there is far less frustration as he is able to do more than parrying and waiting for his enemy to kill him or - if he is very lucky - miss multiple attacks.

If you aren’t convinced:

1. install Age of Chivalry
    2. start a game
    3. fight a Heavy Knight in melee

• That’s a pretty good example.

I don’t understand why in Chivalry I just have to take the next hit or wait for around 5 full seconds anyway. The whole idea of the game is to have constant control over your character, not taking free hits after being striked succesfully once.

• @Oy:

@Carolean:

Hahaha, this guy must be even higher than I am.

Trololololololololol :D

I had just got back from shooting my blackpowder rifle when I posted that. Had blackpowder on my mind. Yes, I know it said flinch lock.

• @Johnny:

Ok, I am just going to put this as plainly as I can.

A. You tell me

A. You tell me

Q. How much fun is that?
    A. You tell me

Tell me, what game are you playing?

Since you don’t understand Chivalry: Medieval Warfare, let me educate you: You can always block after being hit. Always. Flinching locks out attacks only. If you aren’t confident in your ability to block, you can try sprinting off to one side to avoid the next blow.

/thread.

• @clayton-bigsby:

i kind of know what you mean. Yes you can in most cases block the 2nd attack. But this happens to me all the time, i may get hit by one attack, see a combo coming and get ready to parry, but i can not parry, i just stand there helplessly and have to eat the 2nd hit as well. Happens a lot when i play maa, i can try and parry dodge, i can spam the buttons i can press them slowly, no matter what he’ll just stand there and eat the 2nd hit. I’m sure others have had this experience numerous times. It almost feels as bad as waiting for that stun timer to end.

This happens almost too often for me as well. I just end up smashing my wasd keys in frustration and spam as I try to get my dash to work. While watching the inevitable death from said scenario.

• @Mortuary:

@clayton-bigsby:

i kind of know what you mean. Yes you can in most cases block the 2nd attack. But this happens to me all the time, i may get hit by one attack, see a combo coming and get ready to parry, but i can not parry, i just stand there helplessly and have to eat the 2nd hit as well. Happens a lot when i play maa, i can try and parry dodge, i can spam the buttons i can press them slowly, no matter what he’ll just stand there and eat the 2nd hit. I’m sure others have had this experience numerous times. It almost feels as bad as waiting for that stun timer to end.

This happens almost too often for me as well. I just end up smashing my wasd keys in frustration and spam as I try to get my dash to work. While watching the inevitable death from said scenario.

I believe there may actually be a bug there. Same problem that they fixed (in beta) with MaA not being able to dodge when getting interrupted flinched. If you swing and get interrupted, it seems you are unable to parry for the length of the swing and recovery time of said interrupted swing. Just a theory and needs testing.