Panic Parry - What is it?

• I’ve seen plenty of references to Panic Parry but honestly don’t know what it actually is. Tried searching on here and for vids on youtube but came up with nothing.

Thanks,
    JW

• Parry during recovery state.

We just call it panic parry because that’s what it boils down to. When you whiff your attack and you panic and parry the retaliatory attack.

• Imo it totally annuls the balance of heavier weapons.

If I MISS with a huge-ass weapon like the Maul I shouldn’t be able to parry instantly after I swung. This is neither realistic nor is it balanced.
    In a game that’s all about aim, penalty for missing should be existant. At the moment all I see is people missing but whoops no problem, we have panic parry.
    Stupidest mechanic since feinting.

• @TheUndying:

Imo it totally annuls the balance of heavier weapons.

If I MISS with a huge-ass weapon like the Maul I shouldn’t be able to parry instantly after I swung. This is neither realistic nor is it balanced.
    In a game that’s all about aim, penalty for missing should be existant. At the moment all I see is people missing but whoops no problem, we have panic parry.

go vote on the poll!

• @clayton-bigsby:

go vote on the poll!

I just diiid! :P

• @TheUndying:

@clayton-bigsby:

go vote on the poll!

I just diiid! :P

it’s under balance and mechanics, i made one already

• Thanks all. Thought it was some special manoeuvre I had to work out. Was worth checking as I didn’t know you could combo until I was lvl 33. LOL

• @JW:

I didn’t know you could combo until I was lvl 33. LOL

O tutorial

• i think the tutorial teaches you how to combo, but only like… lmb. It seems when i watch newer players, everyone knows the LMB,LMB,LMB combo, but for some reason no one realizes you can combo into the other attacks.

Now it’s probably better that people don’t know how to combo, as it will save their life to not know how to combo.

• This Panic Parry is as stupid as the Combo Feint to Parry, only its better than it. same about the combo parry, though some indications or new animations would these parries would be appreciated.

• So wait, people are complaining because they block, expecting an attack, but it turns out that the other player did nothing?

This seems a bit peevish, or am I misunderstanding the panic parry?

• no, people have a negative look on the panic parry because prior to the patch, if an opponent swung their weapon out of range or simply just missed their strike, you could punish that opponents missed strike by timing your own to hit them during their recovery time (which means they are recovering from their missed swing, it’s just a fraction of a second). Basically, if you don’t combo your attack, there is a recovery period of a fraction of a second where you cannot attack again OR parry during this time. However, now you can utilize a parry or block during this ‘recovery’ period so instead of being punished for a missed swing, you can block the attack thus saving your life (at least for the moment). This is now referred to as the ‘panic parry’ or ‘parry during recovery’.

The argument is basically about this aspect becoming easier to perform, yet accomplishes the same task. In order to accomplish this parried attack, one must simply swing, and then parry when the opponents punish strike comes in. Prior to the patch, in order to parry during this ‘recovery’ period, one had to combo his attack (which means chain his attack into another) then cancel that attack, and then parry. This required a bit of knowledge of the game, and timing and a little practice. It’s basically the same as throwing an attack, feinting (canceling it) and then parrying, which you can still perform in the live version. However this ‘recovery’ time could not be bypassed by feinting or throwing another attack, so players became creative by comboing another attack, feinting that one, then doing a parry to accomplish this.

So in order to bypass a recovery period before, one had to combo, feint, then parry, which is 3 actions not including the original attack. This is seen as taking a bit more skill, not necessarily skill but at least knowledge of the game and it did require some practice. I myself had to practice both feint to parrys and combo feint to parrys. Now… in order to perform the same action… one must just swing, then parry the attack, bypassing the need to combo and feint between the parry. 1 action, rather than 3, again not including the original attack.

So the argument is that the developers by introducing this recovery parry allows even the new players to perform it easily, and takes the skill or knowledge of the game out of performing the act. I believe this is true considering that most players don’t even know how to combo their attacks properly, much less pull off this (simple, mind you) tactic to bypass the recovery time.

I should also note that you can also bypass this recovery time to perform an attack instead of a parry by doing the same thing (comboing your attack, and then feinting) but instead attacking after the feint portion… and this was not changed at all. It’s really a screwy situation and there’s much debate over it. One side likes the way it was before, one side likes it the way it is. But it really comes down to being able to punish missed attacks etc. I’ll also note that it used to be a good tactic to duck under attacks like a slash, and start a windup of an attack while ducking so that when you rise after their blade has passed you could throw your own attack. With this new recovery parry, they can parry this counter attack that you performed using evasion, so it also takes away the other maneuver of being able to dodge sword attacks and counter. It was also a good tactic prior to miss a strike on purpose to draw a parry, and then combo into your own attack… which still works now, however if you were to miss and someone would swing trying to hit trade you, you had the option to back out of your combo’d attack, and then parry by doing this combo feint to parry which i just discussed if you did not feel it was worth it to hit trade, however you cannot do this now because there is a delay after the feint to where you can not parry.

• @TheUndying:

Imo it totally annuls the balance of heavier weapons.

Yes torn banner, THIS is the guy you have to listen to, since you love nerfing player control, you should totally remove painc parrys from slow weapons, make them useless and nerf player control even more.

10/10 good idea

• eh, regardless i still have a ton of fun playing the game, and i’m actually really looking forward to how the new changes coming up will affect gameplay. I haven’t had a chance to play the latest beta yet but i plan on doing so hopefully today. I just really enjoyed the game prior (minus the bugs and stuff) due to the fact htat you had more control, more options in each situation, and could use more mind games this way against even more skilled opponents. I have high hopes.

The issue i’ve had is not against new players, they will die mostly to skilled players anyhow, but in skilled vs skilled players, there was just more options the other way in order to have better fights between two matched opponents. It came down to mind games and very fast decision making which i love.

• @CRUSHED:

Yes torn banner, THIS is the guy you have to listen to, since you love nerfing player control, you should totally remove painc parrys from slow weapons, make them useless and nerf player control even more.

10/10 good idea

Your sarcasm won’t get you anywhere. I’m fine if you don’t agree with me, tell me why you think people with a maul shouldn’t be forced into thinking when to strike and actually aim properly.
    If you missed in reallife you’d be wide open for any attack and you know what? I wouldn’t want it any other way.
    You guys whine about the game being so noobfriendly and competitive players have lost everything they loved so much (R.I.P. old combo-feints), but at the same time you approve stupid mechanics that ARE noobfriendly to hell and back, mechanics that reduce the penalty of failing with a 50kg hammer to a minimum, if not zero.

I don’t know why they changed it neither do I care. It’s a stupid mechanic nontheless and has NOTHING to do with “player control”. If I supported things like in the Beta 3 back then (the Balance Beta that is) where you couldn’t stop comboing by feinting, THEN you might have a reason of being a sarcastic bitch.
    Now it’s just way out of place, instantly recovering from a heavy strike has nothing to do with player control.