Parry Type [POLL]

• Poll for parry types, lets have a vote.

Panic Parry = Parry during recovery.

CFTP Means Combo Feint to Parry.

• I would like to see CFTP without the ability to riposte. At least then you wouldn’t have random noobs spamming panic parries

Edit: and sometimes when trying to cancel a combo, I do it too early and trigger a panic parry instead. Very annoying.

• @Event:

I would like to see CFTP without the ability to riposte. At least then you wouldn’t have random noobs spamming panic parries

Edit: and sometimes when trying to cancel a combo, I do it too early and trigger a panic parry instead. Very annoying.

hmm… why haven’t i heard this suggestion yet!? this is good actually. CFTP but no riposte. Actually the riposte helped before, but in the game now even with the panic parry, the inability to riposte does not affect much anyhow, there’s a small delay, but you still seem to be able to maintain your initiative. Hmm… have you suggested this other than just now?!

yeah and the combo feint… the combo feint to parry currently is annoying. You can still do it, but you can’t time it the way you want… it’s basically like putting a delay at the end of a normal feint, which kind of defeats the whole purpose.

• Bah shit, accidentally voted for C instead of B, it’s been a long night… so yea ignore one vote for C and add one to B.

• there really should be a way to change your vote :?

• @clayton-bigsby:

there really should be a way to change your vote :?

There’s an option to let you do that.

• @Jstorm:

@clayton-bigsby:

there really should be a way to change your vote :?

There’s an option to let you do that.

for everyone or just me?

Edit: Nvm i found it, i didn’t see that little guy. Folks you can change your votes if need be down the road.

• How many times is this poll going to be posted?

• @NoVaLombardia:

How many times is this poll going to be posted?

You gotta admit, my suggestion was a fair trade. It’s basically panic parry but with an extra mouseclick. Seriously, it causes me more problems than it solves. I often accidentally do panic parries if:

• I feint too late, which causes a parry to queue up and become a panic parry

• I try to cancel the next swing in my combo too early, causing a panic parry instead of a feint

Both of them can make me end up dead if I’m near enemies.

• @Event:

You gotta admit, my suggestion was a fair trade. It’s basically panic parry but with an extra mouseclick.

It’s already been suggested by 3 people previously (you were probably one of them).

The issue isn’t just the abiilty to not riposte. They can still have much less weakness because of how late they can feint to parry. This is why I like kwazi’s suggestion more.

The issue is that with your suggestion alone, you would have to make the stamina cost even more than a panic parry, and itll just make one useless compared to the other without having good balance between each other. Nobody likes that.

• @NoVaLombardia:

How many times is this poll going to be posted?

i didn’t realize there was a poll, there have been discussions… but it’s hard to tell where exactly everyone stands. I want numbers damnit.

• I’m down with bringing back CFTP but with no riposte and greater stam drain.

• @Event:

I would like to see CFTP without the ability to riposte. At least then you wouldn’t have random noobs spamming panic parries

Riposte or no riposte doesn’t make an enormous amount of difference in my opinion. The vanguard knockback which is currently in the game makes ripostes an enormous liability 70% of the time anyway.

• CFTP, with old stamina drain so you can use it 3 times.

Also allow ripostes from it for proper 1v n fights

• so 3 cftps were do-able pre patch. How many recovery parries before stam drain? it’s either 4-5 maybe even 6 now. My only fear with the recovery parry now is that they are going to reduce the amount of stamina it takes to do such actions… so now ya may have to work your way through 5-6 recovery parry next instead… even further emphasizing the use of feints. Idk, we’ll see. Anyone want to play beta with me later today? lol

• I just had a different idea. How about a setup like this:
    remove CFtP
    remove Panic Parry
    keep combo parry but slightly increase its parry time window
    make combo parry costly on stamina
    perhaps slightly reduce recovery (on some weapons)

If a player misses a swing he has the option to either combo an attack, combo a parry or entering recovery. All three possibilities have their own assets and drawbacks. A combo attack might catch your opponend of guard, granting you a hit. If the opponent decides punish you missed swing but does it too late you might flinch him. On the other hand you risk a hit trade or even beeing flinched if the opponend started his attack before. Or you risk loosing even more stamina on another missed attack that you opponed might punish again. If you combo a parry it might block an attack the opponend does after your missed swing. The increased parry time window on that serves the purpose that this parry protects you during the timeframes CFtP or Panic Parry would be used otherwise. It would essentially fill the same role as CFtP and PP while beeing a little bit more intuitive than CFtP. This way you’d need to decide during you missed swing wether you want to parry or not (like you basicly had to with CFtP, though not to this extent), making it more reliant on quick observation and evaluation of the combat situation (rhyme not intendet) as opposed to the twitchier nature of the PP.
    Drawbacks of this Combo Parry would be that it leaves you open after you performed it. If your opponed decides to just wait a little before attacking you or flat out fails to attack you quickly after your missed swing he might hit you in parry recovery.
    The idea of reduced recovery times is to allow you to enter recovery and block a delayed attack.

The basic idea of this setup is to force players to be more considerative of their situations, making mistakes more punishable but keeping giving persons options to recover from a mistake to reward them for noticing their mistake in time.

It’s a pretty undercooked idea yet and I think it would be hard to get the times on recovery, parry window etc. right to not make it a guessing game. There’s also the problem that yet another fundamental change on parry might serve to completely alienate a lot players.
    It basicly just came to my mind while reading this thread and would need a lot more consideration before even coming close to be a viable idea. I just wanted to put it out there, so that players with a firmer grasp on the mechanics might put at least parts of this to consideration.

• ^ what do you mean by combo parry?

• ^by Combo Parry I mean the ability to que a parry during your release which is performed instantly after you release. This is possible now and has the cost of a panic parry. My idea was to make that the only option to bypass recovery for a parry but give it a slightly increased timeframe to make it viable. Since it parrys right after you release the short timeframe of a regular parry would make it unviable for the most part. With the increased timeframe it should provide protection for about the same time you are able to panic parry today for the price of leaving you wide open after that (due to panic recovery.). The main difference to todays panic parry would be that you’d need to commit to the parry during you combo-window.
    The intend is to force you to react the moment you made the mistake (missed a swing) instead of allowing you to block without even realising you made a mistake like PP does. In that it is basicly like CFtP, only that it forces you to either be quickly offensive (combo attack), defensive (combo parry) or reactive (?) by entering recovery (on the risk of being wide open during that phase) and after that either try to parry a delayed attack, start an attack or do whatever. CFtP on the other hand lets you combo an attack and than decide whether you feint it or not and wheter you parry after the feint or go offensive again.

• The real issue is… With making polls since TBS shits on what we think ? Anyway, I thought CFTP was broken at first but I changed my mind and I would like it to be restored. Nice mechanic !

BUT, the Panic Parry doesn’t bother me and can help too (myself or my foes). So, I wouldn’t like it to be removed. In fact, both CFTP and Panic Parry would fit in Chivalry. That’s what I think. =)

• I went with E. I don’t need CFTP, though it would be nice. However, I really really dislike parry in recovery.