Projectile anomalies

• I’m sure plenty of people have experience this when you see a projectile whizz past you and perhaps a half second after you’ve registered it missing you, you get hit by the projectile whatever it may be (javelin, arrow, bolt, throwing axe, knife).

I’ve always just put this down to lag but only recently did something happen to me which made me really wonder about it.

I’ll use an example of what happened to illustrate what I mean. On top of the ammo shed roof on Battlegrounds fighting. There is a Javelin archer down on the ground below the roof and he is the only one around.

Now I get killed by the archer when he throws a javelin into my back. The strange part is this. On my screen, my back was turned to the archer but I also quite clearly saw a Javelin fly past my model for a split second from behind and fly off into the distance (meaning that it looked like the archer missed me). Unfortunately I was hit and killed however. Mind you, he was the only enemy down there and it was 100% him who threw the javelin that missed on my screen.

Does this happen for anyone else? What really happened in the situation I listed?

Would this fit into the same category of getting hit when dodging out of incoming strikes during peoples windups (basically extreme lag or high ping for the enemy)? Because he hit you on his end before the dodge registered for him?

• Its happened to me when I’ve been completely stationary too.

I know there is projectile deviation in the singleplayer but not the multiplayer.

It got me wondering if your side saw everyone else’s projectiles deviate but on their end and as far as the server is concerned its not deviating.

• Happen every times. Can’t say if it come from server lags, players or the relation between fps and projectile. I have confirmation that players can see my arrow miss them 1 sec before they land… And so their does to me.

Also funny that an arrow (or any projectile) can past like 3 meters upon you and hit you in the feet… =/

Oh, and it’s alrady happen to me to see an arrow going through me, like it was shooted in my back. But the only archer able to land the hit was in front.

• I’ve also had it where the projectile (an arrow) hits the target but won’t do damage, won’t light up the crosshair. All the player does is scream from being hit by an arrow but no damage is accorded, only the flinch/interrupt time.

• And as the same record, the headshot that get helmet off without any damage nor flinch.

• projectile hits are all clientside. that means for the one shooting the arrow, if it hits another player, it gets registered as a hit, even if you’ve dodged it on your side.

• @Event:

projectile hits are all clientside. that means for the one shooting the arrow, if it hits another player, it gets registered as a hit, even if you’ve dodged it on your side.

Well that sucks. :( Thought it might be different for Chiv but I guess not.

• As far as the lag hits go, I have seen this before… once with a war bow but it was patches ago and I’m pretty sure it was caused by lag on my side or the shooters side (I remember one of us had 200+ ping when I checked the scoreboard, I forget which though). An arrow passed through me and landed beside me, and then took the damage moments later. Who knows what causes it.

I’ve had this other scenario a couple times where an enemies arrow passes right through my view cam… and you’d think that would be my head, but instead NOTHING happens. This has happened to me about 5~10 times. I wish I could see from third person (or like a free-cam) what actually happened in these cases.

Also to people who think that a lot of their arrows ‘should have’ been hits, I’ve actually screen recorded some games in very low-ping servers and a lot of the shots I thought were hits actually DID miss by about 1~3 inches on closer review of the footage (I leaded the shots TOO much, arrows passed right in front of some people so in the game in real time you see the trail disappear and it looks like you hit them but on the footage there’s a frame where the dirt gets kicked up and then their player model kind of hides it).

• @DokB:

@Event:

projectile hits are all clientside. that means for the one shooting the arrow, if it hits another player, it gets registered as a hit, even if you’ve dodged it on your side.

Well that sucks. :( Thought it might be different for Chiv but I guess not.

It’s actually one of the better solutions to this issue. This means that the archer does not have to account for latency over a network in order to aim properly.

• @Event:

How do you explain that when I’m a stationary target and it still misses me.

I think its a bug with projectile deviation. Which works in singleplayer but not in multiplayer.

• @lemonater47:

@Event:

I think its a bug with projectile deviation. Which works in singleplayer but not in multiplayer.

Maybe the archer is really shitty? I have a hard time hitting still targets as well.

• @Event:

@lemonater47:

@Event Horizon:

Maybe the archer is really shitty? I have a hard time hitting still targets as well.

I mean the projectile misses on my side but I still get hit. And I’m standing still the whole time.