Maul 1 hits all classes but never Man at Arms

• The big patch has certainly mixed up the weapon balance and I think overall for the better.
    There still needs to be a lot of tinkering it seems and 1 thing is this problem with the maul always taking 2 hits to kill a Man at Arms.

The maul is meant to be able to 1 hit all classes, but this is the situation:

• Knights and vanguards can have their heads taken off with a perfect swing and timing of the overhead but takes some skill with such a short range, slow weapon. With practice one can track their heads and have a decent chance of hitting it every time.
    • Archers are 1 hit kills it seems when hit anywhere on their body with the maul. The ultimate punishment for not staying out of melee one could say.

-Men at Arms are 1 hit kills when hit on the head but this almost never happens! For one, their heads are smaller and secondly they are the fastest class in the game! It’s hard enough as it is to land a single hit on a decent Man at Arms with the super slow, short range overhead. Even if us maulers do manage to get an overhead to hit, it’s complete luck if it’s the head or not, but 90% of the time we’ll hit some other body part and end up having to land 2 hits. Also, comboing into a stab is laughable at best as most man at arms will be long gone before the stab animation finishes. This means we have to go through all the difficulty of getting the perfect timing on our swings twice! (We’re usually long dead before then!)

Effectively Men at Arms are a 2 hit kill whereas all the other classes can be 1 hit kills with skill. In my opinion, the Men at Arms should always be 1 hit kill with a maul overhead. It’s hard enough to hit them at all with it.

• @Soulie:

-Men at Arms are 1 hit kills when hit on the head but this almost never happens! For one, their heads are smaller

Nerf small heads :x

• You could always switch to your secondary if you are having trouble with hitting MaA in the head with your Maul.

The current Maul is just overhead like a crazy person, riposte and surprise stab people and you’ve even got parry during recovery to fail safe your whiffed attacks with the Maul. But against a good MaA you need to play smarter with the Maul, he’s not going to fall for trying to outlast you in a stamina battle, nor is he going to fall for the endless combo spam. Feinting can work with the Maul now that it’s been sped up a bit.

By the same logic, shouldn’t the fastest class trump the slowest weapon?

• @DokB:

If you do a riposte over head with the maul, it should be fast enough that they’re at least forced to block it. If they try to get a second swing after they were blocked they’ll be in a bit of trouble.

It’s a weird mechanic but it helps stop spamming until your opponent runs out of stamina, so it’s necessary.

• @MrRedshark:

@DokB:

If you do a riposte over head with the maul, it should be fast enough that they’re at least forced to block it. If they try to get a second swing after they were blocked they’ll be in a bit of trouble.

Then it would have to be really fast, like accelerated norse sword fast.

• @MrRedshark:

@DokB:

If you do a riposte over head with the maul, it should be fast enough that they’re at least forced to block it.

It’s a weird mechanic but it helps stop spamming until your opponent runs out of stamina, so it’s necessary.

I’ve been on the receiving end of this a few too many times so I find myself dodging out to the side to avoid those. The maul overhead isn’t too susceptible to dragging sidewards I’ve found. That’s why I feel dodging to the side is more safe than dodging backwards where you still might get hit if the opponent is moving forward and is dragging like you said. This also gives more of an opening for a quick jab to the ribs while still circle strafing then combo overhead.

• @DokB:

You could always switch to your secondary if you are having trouble with hitting MaA in the head with your Maul.

The current Maul is just overhead like a crazy person, riposte and surprise stab people and you’ve even got parry during recovery to fail safe your whiffed attacks with the Maul. But against a good MaA you need to play smarter with the Maul, he’s not going to fall for trying to outlast you in a stamina battle, nor is he going to fall for the endless combo spam. Feinting can work with the Maul now that it’s been sped up a bit.

There isn’t meant to be any 1 weapon or class that trumps another.
    The situation is meant to be that maa does low damage but has tons of speed and maulers do tons of damage but are slow as hell. The maa should be worried that if they make a mistake 1 good overhead will kill them and of course the perfect maa won’t ever let a mauler get close enough, but right now a full health maa hasn’t got much to worry about as maulers have to almost always 2 hit to kill them making it pretty much useless.

• @Soulie:

@DokB:

You could always switch to your secondary if you are having trouble with hitting MaA in the head with your Maul.

The situation is meant to be that maa does low damage but has tons of speed and maulers do tons of damage but are slow as hell. The maa should be worried that if they make a mistake 1 good overhead will kill them and of course the perfect maa won’t ever let a mauler get close enough, but right now a full health maa hasn’t got much to worry about as maulers have to almost always 2 hit to kill them making it pretty much useless.

I’d say one hit alone from the Maul puts the fear of god into the MaA, seeing as someone sneezing on him will knock him over afterwards.

You can always hit them once with the Maul then swap to your secondary and finish them off that way. MaA can’t afford to hit trade with a Maul armed Knight, put it that way.

Or maybe strive to hitting them in the head more instead of trying to push the Maul into an easy mode 1 shot everything on overhead weapon.

Well maybe not trump, but there are factors that certainly influence the final outcome of duels/battles.
    Simply put; Speed beats the Maul, not much else too it.

• @DokB:

@Soulie:

@DokB:

I’d say one hit alone from the Maul puts the fear of god into the MaA, seeing as someone sneezing on him will knock him over afterwards.

You can always hit them once with the Maul then swap to your secondary and finish them off that way. MaA can’t afford to hit trade with a Maul armed Knight, put it that way.

Or maybe strive to hitting them in the head more instead of trying to push the Maul into an easy mode 1 shot everything on overhead weapon.

Well maybe not trump, but there are factors that certainly influence the final outcome of duels/battles.
    Simply put; Speed beats the Maul, not much else too it.

That’s the point MaA shouldn’t be able to hit trade with the Mau even once or they should lose the duel hands down. This is more than made up for with the MaA’s speed, dodging and attack speed.

I’m pushing for MaA not to have easy mode vs all maulers as they currently do.
    Or are you suggesting MaA should have a free kill everytime they come up against Maul because of some silly rock paper scissors system.

• They don’t have it easy against someone who knows or forces you to hit trade with him.

MaA need 3-4 hits to kill a Knight with most of their weapons (3 with headshots).

Knight with Maul needs 1-2 hits to kill anything in this game (1 with headshots).

I don’t know what to tell you anymore. You’re the one with the problem where you cannot land a head shot on an MaA for some reason. If the MaA is moving around normally and not in a state of dodge, then you shouldn’t have a problem with hitting them in the head.

• My humble opinion has always been that 1 maul hit to the chest should cause instant red mist on any class except the the knight….he can just die a gurgley death (in one hit)

• @giantyak:

My humble opinion has always been that 1 maul hit to the chest should cause instant red mist on any class except the the knight….he can just die a gurgley death (in one hit)

It paints tomatoes on MAA and Vanguard, makes an almost guaranteed 1 hit kill for the knight, and kills the archer.

• To be fair, I think it should one shot every class to the body.

There’s no real reason to use the maul otherwise. It’s a piece of shit mainly because you’re so easy to stagger when you’re swinging. And trust me, the thing takes so long I could make some vegetable soup and I’d still be mid-swing.

Maybe if they could make you unstaggerable that it would be awesome to use – full on berserker style. It would still be easy as shit to dodge and block though.

• I am a competitive maul main.

Maul vs. MaA is the worst idea ever, switch to your secondary.

'nuff said.

• @POOT:

To be fair, I think it should one shot every class to the body.

There’s no real reason to use the maul otherwise. It’s a piece of shit mainly because you’re so easy to stagger when you’re swinging. And trust me, the thing takes so long I could make some vegetable soup and I’d still be mid-swing.

Maybe if they could make you unstaggerable that it would be awesome to use – full on berserker style. It would still be easy as shit to dodge and block though.

At least if the maul 1 shots any class in the chest then it would be more unique compared to the grand maul.

• @Jstorm:

I am a competitive maul main.

Maul vs. MaA is the worst idea ever, switch to your secondary.

'nuff said.

I do now switch to secondary to fight maa, but that’s just accepting the maul is underpowered against maa.

A big factor is actually the comboing. Even if we miss a headshot on a vanguard or knight we can always finish them off with a combo or the next time we block and riposte. Hitting MaA with the first swing is almost never a headshot and then the combo is always too slow to cause any problems. And with maa who knows when we’ll get another opportunity to hit them. Making the overhead 1 hit kill MaA would actually make the maul viable to use against them.

Also, doesn’t the Zweihander already 1 hit MaA? And that has a ton more range than the Maul. So Maul should definitely 1 hit as well.

• zweihander needs headshot as well tho

• @dpunk:

zweihander needs headshot as well tho

it’s 1 hit on the torso no?

• @Soulie:

@dpunk:

No.

• @rumpelstiltskin:

@Soulie:

@dpunk:

No.

" the Zweihänder will one hit kill Archers and Men-At-Arms with a torso hit"
    That’s not what I heard, either way Maul is slower and shorter range than Zweihander so making it 1 hit on MaA’s torso makes sense.