Maul 1 hits all classes but never Man at Arms

• @POOT:

To be fair, I think it should one shot every class to the body.

There’s no real reason to use the maul otherwise. It’s a piece of shit mainly because you’re so easy to stagger when you’re swinging. And trust me, the thing takes so long I could make some vegetable soup and I’d still be mid-swing.

Maybe if they could make you unstaggerable that it would be awesome to use – full on berserker style. It would still be easy as shit to dodge and block though.

At least if the maul 1 shots any class in the chest then it would be more unique compared to the grand maul.

• @Jstorm:

I am a competitive maul main.

Maul vs. MaA is the worst idea ever, switch to your secondary.

'nuff said.

I do now switch to secondary to fight maa, but that’s just accepting the maul is underpowered against maa.

A big factor is actually the comboing. Even if we miss a headshot on a vanguard or knight we can always finish them off with a combo or the next time we block and riposte. Hitting MaA with the first swing is almost never a headshot and then the combo is always too slow to cause any problems. And with maa who knows when we’ll get another opportunity to hit them. Making the overhead 1 hit kill MaA would actually make the maul viable to use against them.

Also, doesn’t the Zweihander already 1 hit MaA? And that has a ton more range than the Maul. So Maul should definitely 1 hit as well.

• zweihander needs headshot as well tho

• @dpunk:

zweihander needs headshot as well tho

it’s 1 hit on the torso no?

• @Soulie:

@dpunk:

No.

• @rumpelstiltskin:

@Soulie:

@dpunk:

No.

" the Zweihänder will one hit kill Archers and Men-At-Arms with a torso hit"
    That’s not what I heard, either way Maul is slower and shorter range than Zweihander so making it 1 hit on MaA’s torso makes sense.

• @Soulie:

either way Maul is slower and shorter range than Zweihander so making it 1 hit on MaA’s torso makes sense.

It doesn’t make sense.

• It doesn’t make any sense at all. The aren’t meant to be equals. They don’t deal the same type of damage and they aren’t used by the same classes.

• The maul is so good that there’s barely any point picking a different primary, it should not get any buffs.

If you are using the slowest weapon with the slowest class, you should not expect to be on equal ground when against the most agile class with a fast weapon.

If you for some reason miss their head but still hit them, and you intend on finishing them off, you should just instantly combo feint or go into recovery to be safe from their attack, or instantly switch to secondary at the start of recovery.

• @Josh:

The maul is so good that there’s barely any point picking a different primary, it should not get any buffs.

If you are using the slowest weapon with the slowest class, you should not expect to be on equal ground when against the most agile class with a fast weapon.

If you for some reason miss their head but still hit them, and you intend on finishing them off, you should just instantly combo feint or go into recovery to be safe from their attack, or instantly switch to secondary at the start of recovery.

It wouldn’t be equal ground at all, the MaA should still win all duels against the Maul with his speed, it’s his own fault if he takes any damage at all from it. But right now there is too much lee way for MaA if they make mistakes against a Maul. Maul is meant to be the ultimate punishment weapon, if any of the other classes decide to hit trade they are as good as dead, MaA though gets 2 chances this is what doesn’t make sense!

• Some of the stuff you’ve said is nuts soulie. ‘Switching to secondary is accepting that the maul is underpowered against maa’.

Of course. You cant expect a weapon to be able to one shot knights, and also be good against MAAs - thats going close to the absolute pinnacle of ‘overpowered’. The very fact that you have access to a knight one-shotter alongside a broadsword is plenty, plenty tools at your disposal.

Anyway, I’d go a long way to argue that the maul is the best primary available to knights atm in terms of POTENTIAL PERFORMANCE that can be squeezed from the weapon (not preference, and ignoring the fact that ultimately a good player can do well with pretty much anything…), obviously once you get used to its windups and become accurate with your overheads. Panic-parry only makes the situation easier: because you can defend yourself in your big long recovery.

Fuck buffing the maul, Id say its great just as it is - but there needs to be a few little buffs to the other knight weapons to actually put them on the same level really, IMO.

• @Triumphant:

Some of the stuff you’ve said is nuts soulie. ‘Switching to secondary is accepting that the maul is underpowered against maa’.

Of course. You cant expect a weapon to be able to one shot knights, and also be good against MAAs - thats going close to the absolute pinnacle of ‘overpowered’. The very fact that you have access to a knight one-shotter alongside a broadsword is plenty, plenty tools at your disposal.

Anyway, I’d go a long way to argue that the maul is the best primary available to knights atm in terms of POTENTIAL PERFORMANCE that can be squeezed from the weapon (not preference, and ignoring the fact that ultimately a good player can do well with pretty much anything…), obviously once you get used to its windups and become accurate with your overheads. Panic-parry only makes the situation easier: because you can defend yourself in your big long recovery.

Fuck buffing the maul, Id say its great just as it is - but there needs to be a few little buffs to the other knight weapons to actually put them on the same level really, IMO.

Imo, the panic parry is a silly mechanic and I hope it is removed soon. Maul isn’t the only weapon affected by this anyway. Maul isn’t good against MaA and it still won’t be with 1 hit to the torso as a good MaA will never take a hit from such a slow weapon unless they make a silly mistake. When they do make that silly mistake they should be dead and buried by an overhead. Maul is meant to be the most damaging melee weapon in the game, but it can barely 1 hit MaA like 10% of the time. ITS NOT RIGHT

• The maul is meant to be the most effective knight counter, that it is being the only melee weapon that can one shot knights. The maul is in absolutely no need of any buffs and blunt weapons are supposed to be knight counters and they do that very well, currently, and they are meant to suck against lighter classes and they certainly do, currently. If you let the maul 1 shot MaA to the torso it will be seriously overpowered because it will eat up every class in the game. Your saying that it would be always the MaA’s fault if he gets hit by a maul is true in duels, however, this game is not balanced off of duels. In team play it’s too easy to get hit by maul user that has good target switching or hit trades with you. Swords, polearms, and spears are meant to be the best against lighter classes and MaA are indeed countered very well by polearms and spear specifically and blunts are meant to be knight counters. If you let the best knight counter one shot MaA to the body then you have a jack-of-all-trades. I would only agree to letting is one shot MaA to the body if it had at least a .8 OH windup and a .95 OH combo but right now it isn’t slow enough, making the maul borderline overpowered. Because of the maul being so fast right now, yes, too fast, if a team doesn’t pay enough attention to a mauler he can easily rip through their entire team single handedly in seconds. I’ve had many time where in a clan practice I get triple headshots and mow down their push. It was mostly my skill that let me do that with proper target switching and attacking the enemy at the perfect time when their neither attacking or blocking but right now with it’s current speed I don’t really think it’s difficult enough to time your enemy’s movements with it’s current speed. The maul is what it should be right now; a high risk, high skill, high reward weapon, it reminds me of the KSG slug shotgun in BO2, but it just isn’t quite risky enough, currently.

• @Jstorm:

In team play it’s too easy to get hit by maul user that has good target switching

The only time I’m actually hit by the maul is if someone drags it (like Maul of Peace famously does) or hits me from behind. The first is abuse of a game mechanic, the second is not being situationally aware or getting swamped by three guys.

As of right now the maul is nearly unusable unless you want to dick around. The kills you got with the maul could’ve been doubled with something like the nordic axe.

I’ve said before that speed and range is king in this game. The maul has neither – it’s sling-tier bad.

When guys with high ranks see a maul user, they’re thinking free kill for a good reason. It’s stagger city.

• @POOT:

@Jstorm:

In team play it’s too easy to get hit by maul user that has good target switching

The only time I’m actually hit by the maul is if someone drags it (like Maul of Peace famously does) or hits me from behind. The first is abuse of a game mechanic, the second is not being situationally aware or getting swamped by three guys.

As of right now the maul is nearly unusable unless you want to dick around. The kills you got with the maul could’ve been doubled with something like the nordic axe.

I’ve said before that speed and range is king in this game. The maul has neither – it’s sling-tier bad.

Maul is a very powerful weapon currently. Even prior to the buffs, it was a very strong support weapon, albeit overshadowed by the grand mace. Also, not to start a whole big thing, but dragging isn’t an exploit.

• @POOT:

@Jstorm:

Is that why it can dominate pubs and is starting to see more competitive play? Maul is top tier Knight primary now, not sling-tier bad like you say.

• @POOT:

@Jstorm:

When guys with high ranks see a maul user, they’re thinking free kill for a good reason. It’s stagger city.

When I read this it proved you know nothing about this game.

• @Jstorm:

@POOT:

@Jstorm:

Dohohoho.

I’ve played enough of the game (400 hours worth) to realize that certain weapons work better than others, and that faster weapons typically overshadow slower ones because of the stagger effect. A good player simply isn’t going to let that shit hit him, neither in group battles and especially not in duel. A man at arms, as already mentioned, will especially tear that knight a new asshole. A vanguard will also keep him at range. And another knight will just out damage him with a nordic axe, or anything else, really. Either case they start to panic at below 50 percent health and start making mistakes. The weapon is too defensive in a game where most of the weapons are lightning fast.

You guys would probably defend the quarterstaff too.

Is that why it can dominate pubs

The only domination I’ve seen is it killing rank 10s and below who aren’t good at parrying or timing yet.

• A man at arms, as already mentioned, will especially tear that knight a new asshole. A vanguard will also keep him at range.

As they’re supposed to. Blunts are meant to be bad against light classes.

And another knight will just out damage him with a nordic axe

This doesn’t even make sense…

Add me on steam and I will gladly duel you knight vs. knight with and maul and I will enjoy beating the shit out of you after my vacation starting tomorrow for a week. Also, there is no weapon in the game called the nordic axe and you can’t out damage a maul.

As you know pre patch the maul was far worse than the balanced, live maul.

Here’s some good ol’ competitive pre patch chiv from about a month and a half ago with me using the maul, one of the most underpowered weapons pre patch, topping my team in both kills and K/D ratio. And now with the balanced maul I have many screenshots of beastly scores from post patch of my using the maul against competiive players for most of the screenshots. Check out my steam profile to see them and here’s the video http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cTHUPW9JWTw

• @POOT:

@Jstorm:

@POOT:

Dohohoho.

I’ve played enough of the game (400 hours worth) to realize that certain weapons work better than others, and that faster weapons typically overshadow slower ones because of the stagger effect. A good player simply isn’t going to let that shit hit him, neither in group battles and especially not in duel. A man at arms, as already mentioned, will especially tear that knight a new asshole. A vanguard will also keep him at range. And another knight will just out damage him with a nordic axe, or anything else, really. Either case they start to panic at below 50 percent health and start making mistakes. The weapon is too defensive in a game where most of the weapons are lightning fast.

You guys would probably defend the quarterstaff too.

Is that why it can dominate pubs

The only domination I’ve seen is it killing rank 10s and below who aren’t good at parrying or timing yet.

Maul is best Knight primary, if you cant do well with maul you need more practice. /end thread