Idea for Overheads -> damage by force and acceleration way

• I’d thought of the fast and slow overheads and slashes, I didnt play that game for months so sorry if im not up to date anymore but here is it:
    i dont know how realisitic you want to make this game, but you could actually add something like a damage by force, that means if you do a fast overhead by looking down the acceleration way is alot shorter than with a slow overhead, so the force and damage dealt should be merged in that case, and using a slow overhead could cost a little bit more stamina but does also more damage, what do you guys think of this idea? in my opinion it would be worth testing it out in the beta build

it would also make the combat system more complex for skilled players since you dont just choose randomly between fast or slow overheads, you actually have to think about what is more usefull in a given situation

• So make OH lookdowns even more OP.

Yeah. Try explaining that to people.

• uhm i wrote that lookdowns should have reduced damage since the acceleration way is shorter

• Well then you support people looking into the sky making their overheads slower than normal.

Takes longer –> more “acceleration” --> more damage

It’s a good idea in theory but it will makes these cheap attacks even worse, n.b. more rewarding.

• @TheUndying:

Well then you support people looking into the sky making their overheads slower than normal.

Takes longer –> more “acceleration” --> more damage

It’s a good idea in theory but it will makes these cheap attacks even worse, n.b. more rewarding.

In all honesty slowing down your attack should hurt significantly less, at least when you’re thinking of the physics of the real world. I wouldn’t mind that being implemented here, with lookdowns being normal damage, and after a certain swing time the damage dropping off. Honestly lookdowns are cake in comparison to slow draggers.

• @ProHunter:

uhm i wrote that lookdowns should have reduced damage since the acceleration way is shorter

Most overhead lookdowns are where the player is in the process of looking down and striking. Meaning their swing is really fast. They usually don’t start off by looking down.

• Realistically neither lookdowns nor lookups should have an affect, the damage a weapon inflicts in this kind of strike depends on its momentum, you shouldn’t be able to slow down or speed up a strike assuming that the warrior is already trying to swing it down as fast as possible and that slowing it down could make it non-lethal or a lot less damaging.

Reminder that these mechanics in chivalry are not used to change the moment of a weapon but rather provide additional means to trick an opponent into parrying too early, in real life this is meaningless as parrying just doesn’t work that way.

• @quigleyer:

In all honesty slowing down your attack should hurt significantly less, at least when you’re thinking of the physics of the real world. I wouldn’t mind that being implemented here, with lookdowns being normal damage, and after a certain swing time the damage dropping off. Honestly lookdowns are cake in comparison to slow draggers.

Try slowing down a normal hatchet irl. You’d need some massive biceps muscles to pull that. ;)
    Overhead lookdowns with a maul would result in a horrible faceplant and probably the loss of several rows of teeth. :P

Lookdowns are cheap, slow draggers are cheap. I don’t care wether my foe looks on the ground and comes so close that he would literally suck my dick while killing me (from inside my own torso, the bubbles don’t do anything) or wether he looks up into the sky as if he just experienced the holy spirit of Jesus and then makes his overhead go into slow-motion.

Especially when they’re using things like the Bearded Axe or the Gaymore, two weapons that are completely broken and abusing them is easier than taking shit. :P

And no, it has nothing to do with skill whatsoever. It’s just a cheap way of killing enemies without making any effort.

• there’s an idea somewhat similar to this that’s quite good. It has to do with the end and slowest part of your swing doing the same damage as the critical portion of your swing. I love that idea to where there’s different damage values, but i think TB already said it’s not going to be implemented in this version. You know those strikes where someone swings a sword and the VERY end of their swing just clips you to where looking at it you’d think you’d be able to stop it with your index finger and then your leg gets chopped off? lol

• @clayton-bigsby:

there’s an idea somewhat similar to this that’s quite good. It has to do with the end and slowest part of your swing doing the same damage as the critical portion of your swing. I love that idea to where there’s different damage values, but i think TB already said it’s not going to be implemented in this version. You know those strikes where someone swings a sword and the VERY end of their swing just clips you to where looking at it you’d think you’d be able to stop it with your index finger and then your leg gets chopped off? lol

Does this apply to stab-at-arms as well? :P
    Hate being killed by being stabbed to death even though these stabs probably wouldn’t even get through my plate armour.

• no, it only really applys to dragged swings over heads and slashes, the idea is that you would have some kind of damage modifier throughout the swing… so those really late hits that BARELY clip you don’t do full damage… but it’s been suggested before and really liked but it doesn’t look like it was going to get implemented :(

it makes sense though, like if you were to swing a baseball bat, the main contact point would be the midle of your swing, if you hit someone after that contact point it would still do damage, but after you fully swing at the end of it, that last portion would slow considerably because the rest is follow through… and the swings that hit you in the game at the LAST portion of this do full damage depending on where they hit. The momentum has slowed drastically but still does full damage, so the idea was to put a damage modifier of sorts on certain parts of the swing. It would also apply less damage to the backswing, like when you’re behind someone but their swing winds up and starts inside or near you and you get smacked from behind someone or soemthing like that, those parts of the swing would do less damage in this model.