When to duck and when to matrix?

• hey folks.

just a short question about those two moves. to me they appear to be similar as in when they can be used (to evade strikes aimed high). is there any advantage of using one of them over the other? also, can you actually queue an attack while ducking without lifting your body up (i guess overheads wont work, but maybe the others)?

what i actually mean:

• ducking: crouch, look down to further lower your body.
    • matrix: crouch, look up and a bit to the sides, overhead to bend backwards to lower your body.

• Ducking works better than the matrix. The matrix just looks cooler. And is more likely to stun enemies as they stand there wondered what the hell happened.

And I queue all sorts of attacks while ducking or matrixing. Mostly stabs. Though ducking overheads would make more sense as your are already looking down. You just have to know where they are.

• Duck when your opponent is on a higher elevation than you. The hills on Moor are a great example. You can duck a lot of attacks if you’re on the lower end of a hill and catch your enemies by surprise.

• Duck when your opponent is on a higher elevation than you.

It’s rather silly that being on the lower ground than an enemy is actually an advantage.

I see people trying to duck, but many of my attacks are overheads, which are hitting them regardless of their attempts to dodge.

• @Holy.Death:

Duck when your opponent is on a higher elevation than you.

It’s rather silly that being on the lower ground than an enemy is actually an advantage.

I see people trying to duck, but many of my attacks are overheads, which are hitting them regardless of their attempts to dodge.

On some of the steeper hills, you can facehug + duck and hope to get lucky that their overhead just goes over you.

• I’ve had “the matrix” work twice in my recollection. It’s also possible the weapon passed through me on one of these occasions (cus that happens quite a bit to me).

Duck works more often than you’d think, especially against quicker weapons (so long as you can get under them). Ducking a zwei stab usually doesn’t work, because they have plenty of time to look down before the stab ends to hit you (that’s what I mean by quicker weapons can work out better).

• The biggest advantage of matrixing is most overhead attacks will also lean your character back, so you can perform an overhead while leaning back to lean even further and have an attack ready to hit the enemy right after he misses you; whereas you cannot start an attack while ducking without negating the duck.

Matrix works best when you’re just barely in range of the attack, and is more effective at avoiding overheads in particular. Ducking is more effective up close, but again you can’t attack while ducking.

• @SlyGoat:

Matrix works best when you’re just barely in range of the attack, and is more effective at avoiding overheads in particular. Ducking is more effective up close, but again you can’t attack while ducking.

You either matrix the attack so close that you can kiss the blade or it ends horribly and you matrix the attack but he ends up chopping your willy off as it passes your torso. :D

• been practicing a lot with both using MAA, and i think they might be more effective with slower, larger weapons. but for MAA:
    both of them look cool but are overrated. to be any good you have to stand still because walking ruins 90% of both, and i like to keep moving.
    however, Matrix is just something you can add to any overhead you perform, just to make you slightly harder to hit during windup (specifically good when kiting a smaller weapon user), while Superduck is a viable alternative to parry when you need to conserve stamina or can’t see where an attack is coming from (and hope it’s not an overhead). i think both will work better on lower ground, while on higher ground you should be able to jump over a non-overhead attack.

• My experience is that ducking gives you a higher chance of evading attacks - especially when close - but matrixing allows a better overview as you still see whats going on around you. Both fail against overheads but matrixing might allow you to go for a last second parry. Ducking might work when your enemy is delaying his overhead a lot but usually you just get your head chopped.

Both work well against daggers but here matrixing is better as your attacker can also duck - then he will hit your head most of the time.

Ducking works better when surrounded as your frame is smaller and less dependant on direction. BY the same logic ducking works better when dazed.